UK PM candidate Johnson: Britain must leave EU by Oct. 31 or pay the price

webfact

UK PM candidate Johnson: Britain must leave EU by Oct. 31 or pay the price

2019-06-18T192433Z_1_LYNXNPEF5H1S4_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-LEADER-DEBATE.JPG

Boris Johnson arrives at BBC studios to take part in a TV debate with candidates campaigning to replace British Prime Minister Theresa May, in London, Britain June 18, 2019. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - Boris Johnson, the frontrunner to be Britain's prime minister, repeated his pledge on Tuesday that he would take the United Kingdom out of the European Union by Oct. 31, saying otherwise the government would face a catastrophic loss in trust.

"We must come out on the 31 Oct. because, otherwise I am afraid we face a catastrophic loss in politics," Johnson said in a televised debate with the other four remaining candidates seeking to be Britain's next leader.

"Unless we do it, unless we get out on Oct. 31 I think we will all start to pay a really serious price."

(Reporting By William James and Costas Pitas. Writing by Andrew MacAskill, editing by Elizabeth Piper)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-19

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Johnson becoming PM would result in a loss of trust in politics, the man is a documented habitual liar.

true, but Raab isn't going to make it. Get Boris the Bumbler in, get us out of Europe, get a bill through parliament introducing proportional representation and declare new elections.

Sorry, just dreaming.

11 minutes ago, cooked said:

true, but Raab isn't going to make it. Get Boris the Bumbler in, get us out of Europe, get a bill through parliament introducing proportional representation and declare new elections.

Sorry, just dreaming.

Well with Boris, whimsical dreams are all you’ll get.

He’s the most likely candidate to do a complete about face and deny anything he ever promised.

33 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Johnson becoming PM would result in a loss of trust in politics, the man is a documented habitual liar.

But he is the only man to get us out of the EU and keep a Corbyn Marxist government out of number 10, now you wouldn't want that now would you.

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

But he is the only man to get out of the EU and keep a Corbyn Marxist government out of number 10, now you wouldn't want that now would you.

Agreed, but Farage has promised to create merry hell if a May-like compromise is agreed to, that would be the end of the Tories. Corbyn wants a second referendum suddenly. I wonder how that would be worded? I bet the stupid smelly peasants wouldn't understand what they were voting for.

Fed up with all of it, all I want now from a purely selfish point of view is to get out now and let the pound find its true value. Project fear has done a huge amount of damage and the stability of being either In or Out needs to be settled as soon as possible, i.e 31st October. 

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

Agreed, but Farage has promised to create merry hell if a May-like compromise is agreed to, that would be the end of the Tories. Corbyn wants a second referendum suddenly. I wonder how that would be worded? I bet the stupid smelly peasants wouldn't understand what they were voting for.

I should imagine that Corbyn would be the last man in Parliament that 'wants' a second referendum. Corbyn is a man of screwed up principles.

9 minutes ago, gmac said:

Fed up with all of it, all I want now from a purely selfish point of view is to get out now and let the pound find its true value. Project fear has done a huge amount of damage and the stability of being either In or Out needs to be settled as soon as possible, i.e 31st October. 

Perfect Brexiteer logic, denial of the clear link between Brexit and the drop in the value of Sterling.

But then, it’s always somebody else’s fault.

https://www.ft.com/content/3d8003a4-90f1-11e9-b7ea-60e35ef678d2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Perfect Brexiteer logic, denial of the clear link between Brexit and the drop in the value of Sterling.

But then, it’s always somebody else’s fault.

https://www.ft.com/content/3d8003a4-90f1-11e9-b7ea-60e35ef678d2

The pound had drooped (mistype, but looks good)  in value ever since I changed money for the first time 53 years ago.

There will certainly be a droop in value immediately before Brexit. Speculators do this kind of thing. 

SO, in my opinion, the EURO is going to crash some time soon, despite QE. Europe's predicted growth rate was down (maybe still is) to 0.2% which is damn near recession. We can bungle our own recession without the aid of Germany and France, thanks.

32 minutes ago, vogie said:

But he is the only man to get us out of the EU and keep a Corbyn Marxist government out of number 10, now you wouldn't want that now would you.

No one will get you out of the EU, unless that someone can find a parliamentary majority for it. Your problem is not the PM’s name, but his/her ability to build bridges and find compromises (that and your weak negotiation position). 

4 hours ago, cooked said:

The pound had drooped (mistype, but looks good)  in value ever since I changed money for the first time 53 years ago.

There will certainly be a droop in value immediately before Brexit. Speculators do this kind of thing. 

SO, in my opinion, the EURO is going to crash some time soon, despite QE. Europe's predicted growth rate was down (maybe still is) to 0.2% which is damn near recession. We can bungle our own recession without the aid of Germany and France, thanks.

Three years of near continuous decline in value.

I wonder how many expats in Thailand relying on income from the UK this is hurting?

FD1A12CB-BCC3-4C75-B553-94126A4ADA46.jpeg

5 hours ago, gmac said:

We are all fed up with it - the Remainer subterfuge. We should have been out 31st March and the courts may decide we actually ARE! Boris will  have one job - get us out by 31st Oct. Nothing else until that has happened.

The pound will recover after the uncertainty and the speculators will make more money.
Project Fear has clearly done damage to the country and continues to do so, as Remainers continue their propaganda. The worst part is that they have convinced so many Remain acolytes that they believe it, as do the whole of the EU teat suckers, plus a few of the wider world. The PR machine for Team UK needs to crank up the output and get itself ready for No Deal free trading with the whole world. 

Boris will say whatever he thinks will get him elected. When he does get elected he will say a completely different thing if it keeps him in power.

Trying to leave with no deal on october 31 would probably result in a vote of no confidence in the government and a GE. Do you think Boris wants to be the shortest serving PM in history ? 

If we did leave then and it was 20% as chaotic as people project, can you see the conservatives getting re-elected within a generation ? He also doesn't want to be known as the PM who lead the party into oblivian.

I'm amazed that so many leavers put their trust in a man who is such a well known lier and cheater and who has no principals other that what is best for Boris  

7 minutes ago, Loiner said:

We are all fed up with it - the Remainer subterfuge. We should have been out 31st March and the courts may decide we actually ARE! Boris will  have one job - get us out by 31st Oct. Nothing else until that has happened.

The pound will recover after the uncertainty and the speculators will make more money.
Project Fear has clearly done damage to the country and continues to do so, as Remainers continue their propaganda. The worst part is that they have convinced so many Remain acolytes that they believe it, as do the whole of the EU teat suckers, plus a few of the wider world. The PR machine for Team UK needs to crank up the output and get itself ready for No Deal free trading with the whole world. 

in short, GET ON WITH IT!

The Tory membership are off their heads if they vote for Johnson. He’ll go to Europe, be told where to go, he’ll then try to engineer a no deal Brexit and find that his government is brought down in a vote of no confidence. A general election will destroy the Tories, as Farage will split their vote ... leading to the most extreme left wing government in living memory. Back to Tory members ... who will then get hit by wealth taxes, inheritance taxes, etc and see either the softest of Brexit’s or a referendum that leads to no Brexit at all.

The Tory membership and ERG loonies are set to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 

11 minutes ago, tebee said:

Boris will say whatever he thinks will get him elected. When he does get elected he will say a completely different thing if it keeps him in power.

Trying to leave with no deal on october 31 would probably result in a vote of no confidence in the government and a GE. Do you think Boris wants to be the shortest serving PM in history ? 

If we did leave then and it was 20% as chaotic as people project, can you see the conservatives getting re-elected within a generation ? He also doesn't want to be known as the PM who lead the party into oblivian.

I'm amazed that so many leavers put their trust in a man who is such a well known lier and cheater and who has no principals other that what is best for Boris  

I don’t care for Brexit but could live with a deal and transition version. And that’s the only practical version available. The only Tory telling the truth about the practical aspects of achieving Brexit is Rory Stewart.

30 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

The Tory membership are off their heads if they vote for Johnson. He’ll go to Europe, be told where to go, he’ll then try to engineer a no deal Brexit and find that his government is brought down in a vote of no confidence. A general election will destroy the Tories, as Farage will split their vote ... leading to the most extreme left wing government in living memory. Back to Tory members ... who will then get hit by wealth taxes, inheritance taxes, etc and see either the softest of Brexit’s or a referendum that leads to no Brexit at all.

The Tory membership and ERG loonies are set to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 

Let's hope that all works as you say. A looney left, whilst not appealing, is less dangerous to mankind than a fascist right wing of Brexiteers.

3 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Let's hope that all works as you say. A looney left, whilst not appealing, is less dangerous to mankind than a fascist right wing of Brexiteers.

It will be Johnson all the way. A UK government of looney left and fascist Remain federasts would not be appealing but absolutely appalling for all mankind and the very existence of our known universe. 
Never mind dearies, Boris will simply let us Leave No Deal then the whole word is saved. 

14 minutes ago, katana said:

Wasn't too impressed with any of the candidates' performances in the TV debate. Seemed almost like the EU was in the background, controlling things and pulling their strings.

GMB's analysis was pretty revealing this morning. They didn't really have a good word for any of the candidates or the BBC's format.

What idiot went for 'Val Doonican' chairs? 

15 minutes ago, katana said:

Wasn't too impressed with any of the candidates' performances in the TV debate. Seemed almost like the EU was in the background, controlling things and pulling their strings.

That would be the Brussels Broadcasting Corp, or Brexit Bashing Collective, trying to pull their Remain strings again. That bird Maitlis was obviously biased and useless at it anyway.
Rory Stewart apart (needing his Remain & EU subjugation propaganda) why would any of them even deign to appear on a BBC reality show that was dressed up to look like serious politics? It's not like many in Gogglebox land have a say in the matter. Leadership of the CON party is their business and should be done behind closed doors or with the membership.

58 minutes ago, katana said:

TV debate brought home a terrifying truth: one of these men will be PM

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/18/tv-debate-bbc-boris-johnson-sajid-javid-jeremy-hunt-michael-gove-rory-stewart-jonathan-freedland

Perhaps the most scathing line of the night was the title. It was called Our Next Prime Minister and as the hour wore on, those four words sounded increasingly like a rebuke to the nation. Look at us, they seemed to say: a fabled country with a long, proud history and one of these five jokers is actually going to be our next prime minister.

8 hours ago, vogie said:

Will he ?

Is Boris a Brexiteer?

https://leave.eu/is-boris-a-brexiteer/

Following Dominic Raab’s relegation from the Tory leadership contest late yesterday afternoon, Boris Johnson appeared on stage for the BBC leadership debate as the lone true Brexiteer. By the end of the evening, those credentials had pretty much evaporated. Like Michael Gove, a Leaver in name only, Boris looks vulnerable to failing the will of the people. He is still the front runner however, by a long way.

8 hours ago, cooked said:

Sorry, just dreaming.

When humans would have stopped dreaming… we were still living in caves..

For the U.K: introducing proportional representation… even for the EU Parliament election they devided the country in 12 constituencies…  like the times of Mercia. Sussex, etc around 700

8 hours ago, vogie said:

So organise a secodn referendum, in which the British voters can decide what tyopepe of a Brexit they want, and if May succeeded in enough to avoid a no deal. 

What is wrong with that, except of cource.. it ends in a "forget Brexit"...

8 hours ago, gmac said:

let the pound find its true value. 

In my young years ( 1971), the British pound was DM 11,82 / 2 = € 5,91. Niov 2015 it was € 1,43 and now a € 1,11. So, the true value… with much of the British Industrial export gone in a 2/3 year… maybe one once ? 

Archived