Syrian on 1,702 day overstay: Tells immigration he didn't know how to extend visa

webfact

Syrian on 1,702 day overstay: Tells immigration he didn't know how to extend visa

1pm.jpg

Picture: Nawaw Na

A Syrian national without a single Thai stamp in his passport told immigration officers that arrested him in Mukdahan that he didn't know how to get an extension. 

Ghassan Bajbouj, 45, was arrested after he presented his passport to Pol Capt Wilailuk Thawacharee at the Friendship Bridge 2 checkpoint in Bang Sai Yai in the north eastern Thai city. 

The passport was entirely empty of any stamps. 

Ghassan was taken away for questioning and soon the PIBICS system revealed that he had entered Thailand on 22nd July 2014 on a 90-day visa and had permission to stay until 19th October of that year. 

He was thus on an overstay of 1,702 days.

He told immigration that he had lost his old passport and got his relatives to get his a new one and try and get him a visa at the Thai embassy in Cairo, Egypt.

His Syrian relatives came to Thailand to give him his new passport but they seemed unable to get a stamp for him.

And he told the investigators he had no idea how to do it himself. 

He has now been locked up. All this was done under the command of acting immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang, reported Naew Na. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-19

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that's a new one. I am often surprised at the depths to which stupidity runs.

Have to say though that the four immigration officers in the photo look a little too smug for my liking. After all, they simply arrested someone incredibly dumb, who just walked up to them, apparently blithely ignorant of the trouble he was in, but they look like they caught a master criminal.

Anyway, they have locked him up, when a possibly better option would have been to send him on his way, with a blacklist from reentering for the appropriate period, along with the suggestion he grow some brains.

Just now, darksidedog said:

Anyway, they have locked him up, when a possibly better option would have been to send him on his way, with a blacklist from reentering for the appropriate period, along with the suggestion he grow some brains.

Agreed, surely turning them out and blacklisting is a far better option  than throwing them in the immigration jail

45 minutes ago, webfact said:

A Syrian national without a single Thai stamp in his passport told immigration officers that arrested him in Mukdahan that he didn't know how to get an extension. 

It's not only Syrian nationals.

Perhaps all countries should adopt a common sense test, in order to work out if their citizens should be allowed outside of the country to blacken their country's name.

Applicant: I've been waiting for months now for my passport application to be approved.

Official: We have done our investigation and you have been deemed to be too stupid to be issued with a passport.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Well, that's a new one. I am often surprised at the depths to which stupidity runs.

Have to say though that the four immigration officers in the photo look a little too smug for my liking. After all, they simply arrested someone incredibly dumb, who just walked up to them, apparently blithely ignorant of the trouble he was in, but they look like they caught a master criminal.

They have to follow procedure. He will be charged for overstay or illegal entry , go to court, fined, blacklisted and if he has money deported, otherwise he has to stay in IDC, I guess the Syrian government is not helping him to pay his return fare . I pity the guy somehow, as Syrian you have basicly no way to get an extension unless you work, study or are married. He could not simply do a border run to come clean.   

1 hour ago, visarunner said:

They have to follow procedure. He will be charged for overstay or illegal entry , go to court, fined, blacklisted and if he has money deported, otherwise he has to stay in IDC, I guess the Syrian government is not helping him to pay his return fare . I pity the guy somehow, as Syrian you have basicly no way to get an extension unless you work, study or are married. He could not simply do a border run to come clean.   

I'd be interested to know what it costs the Thai government to house an individual prisoner per day in the IDC. For example, if this guy doesn't have money for an airfare, Syrian government doesn't help, how many days does he have to stay in the IDC before the cost of accommodating him exceeds what it would have cost for him to just be chucked on an airplane and sent straight home as soon as possible. Particularly for those who come from very impoverished backgrounds - a $600 USD one way airfare is always going to be pretty unattainable. 

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps all countries should adopt a common sense test, in order to work out if their citizens should be allowed outside of the country to blacken their country's name.

Applicant: I've been waiting for months now for my passport application to be approved.

Official: We have done our investigation and you have been deemed to be too stupid to be issued with a passport.

It could possibly be a solution that when the first visa is issued, a fact sheet in the persons home language is given to them outlining the responsibilities that having a visa incurs.

If entering visa exempt a small A3  leaflet in persons native language. or a card with a link to website in the persons  language?

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

so how did he survive financial wise where was his money coming from 

Condo apartment ect 

overstaying 1702 days and not being found out earlier cant be that stupid 

working without a permit?

condo rental?

marriage?

Being deported to Syria seems like a dreadful punishment, maybe he could apply for asylum?

6 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:
3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It could possibly be a solution that when the first visa is issued, a fact sheet in the persons home language is given to them outlining the responsibilities that having a visa incurs.

If entering visa exempt a small A3  leaflet in persons native language. or a card with a link to website in the persons  language?

Ah, you mean a fact sheet for the hard-of-learning?

4 hours ago, SammyT said:

This thread will be a great test to see if the old white males who defend other old white males for overstaying/immigration offences do the same for a Syrian. 

I agree with darkside dog who said " when a possibly better option would have been to send him on his way, with a blacklist from reentering for the appropriate period, along with the suggestion he grow some brains."

What do you think will be accomplished by putting him in jail?

•  

2 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I agree with darkside dog who said " when a possibly better option would have been to send him on his way, with a blacklist from reentering for the appropriate period, along with the suggestion he grow some brains."

What do you think will be accomplished by putting him in jail?

Maybe have some time to realise the importance of thinking for himself, to avoid ending up in the same situation again.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

A job well done by the  4 IOs thats a whole months work completed with one alien. Time for a rest.

5 hours ago, SammyT said:

This thread will be a great test to see if the old white males who defend other old white males for overstaying/immigration offences do the same for a Syrian. 

Well, looks like they did defend him.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Dumb, he knew Exactly what  he was doing, probably didn’t want to get drafted into that, War

26 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

Europe is the other direction, mate. Mama Merkel would have given you a house and welfare. Much better than a Thai prison cell. Try again next life.

20,000 and banned, Big Deal

Archived