Syrian on 1,702 day overstay: Tells immigration he didn't know how to extend visa

webfact

2 hours ago, SammyT said:

I'd be interested to know what it costs the Thai government to house an individual prisoner per day in the IDC. For example, if this guy doesn't have money for an airfare, Syrian government doesn't help, how many days does he have to stay in the IDC before the cost of accommodating him exceeds what it would have cost for him to just be chucked on an airplane and sent straight home as soon as possible. Particularly for those who come from very impoverished backgrounds - a $600 USD one way airfare is always going to be pretty unattainable. 

Last minute airfare, Not 600

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not stupid, at least I don't think so. 555

But all these different visas are confusing...O..OA...visa on entry...and on and on. And I am not alone on here as you can tell by all the questions each week. The only person who seems to have a grip on it is UbonJoe. I have never done a visa run and would be totally confused by the process. When first here I did trips to Vietnam, Malaysia, and Cambodia, and had no idea you needed a reentry permit....fortunately it was all within that first year so I was fine. And returning from Cambodia the IO at the border gave me the wrong stamp, but it was very hot and I was on my Kaeasaki and didn't notice....but when I went for my 90 day report a kindly IO at Phuket immigration corrected it for me.

So I can understand a Syrian being confused especially if he didn't speak English. He would be dependent on other Syrians to fill him in on the ins and outs of Thai Immigration which can change the goalposts weekly. He obviously didn't have a clue or he wouldn't have just walked up to them at the border expecting everything to be okay.....maybe he is dumb, but he couldn't be that dumb because he got from Syria to Thailand...not exactly close to each other. Also he supported himself for many years....not bad.

11 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I am not stupid, at least I don't think so. 555

But all these different visas are confusing...O..OA...visa on entry...and on and on. And I am not alone on here as you can tell by all the questions each week. The only person who seems to have a grip on it is UbonJoe. I have never done a visa run and would be totally confused by the process. When first here I did trips to Vietnam, Malaysia, and Cambodia, and had no idea you needed a reentry permit....fortunately it was all within that first year so I was fine. And returning from Cambodia the IO at the border gave me the wrong stamp, but it was very hot and I was on my Kaeasaki and didn't notice....but when I went for my 90 day report a kindly IO at Phuket immigration corrected it for me.

So I can understand a Syrian being confused especially if he didn't speak English. He would be dependent on other Syrians to fill him in on the ins and outs of Thai Immigration which can change the goalposts weekly. He obviously didn't have a clue or he wouldn't have just walked up to them at the border expecting everything to be okay.....maybe he is dumb, but he couldn't be that dumb because he got from Syria to Thailand...not exactly close to each other. Also he supported himself for many years....not bad.

I Sell Bridges, you need one... ☝️ 

5 hours ago, SammyT said:

Agreed, surely turning them out and blacklisting is a far better option  than throwing them in the immigration jail

Not if you live in Syria at the moment, I should imagine.????

I don't believe he was that dumb. I think he was taking a chance and trying to outfox the computers in Thailand  by having somebody bring a new passport

He would have been better off sneaking over the porous border into Cambodia and trying it on there. I tbink the penalties would be less severe.

34 minutes ago, esclub said:

I don’t believe his excuse at all. He came with the intention of staying and remaining under the radar and did so successfully till now. Do you really think he had no idea?? Really?? 

He perhaps was escaping ISIS, made his way to Egypt then to Thailand.

Possibly  scared of being refused permission to stay and being forced back to Syria.

6 hours ago, SammyT said:

This thread will be a great test to see if the old white males who defend other old white males for overstaying/immigration offences do the same for a Syrian. 

Oh oh.... someone who hates old people, hates whites, and hates men. 

Ageist, Racist and Sexist.

I’m shocked the moderators did not remove your post and give you a stern warning. 

No room for hate in this forum. 

48 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:
2 hours ago, SammyT said:

I'd be interested to know what it costs the Thai government to house an individual prisoner per day in the IDC. For example, if this guy doesn't have money for an airfare, Syrian government doesn't help, how many days does he have to stay in the IDC before the cost of accommodating him exceeds what it would have cost for him to just be chucked on an airplane and sent straight home as soon as possible. Particularly for those who come from very impoverished backgrounds - a $600 USD one way airfare is always going to be pretty unattainable. 

Last minute airfare, Not 600

Interesting, because I found a flight on skyscanner to neighbouring Lebanon (turns out you can't fly to Syria from Bangkok) for $500 USD leaving in a couple of days. I'm sure you could get to Syria from Beirut for less than the remaining US $100.

Either way, I think you missed my point that surely putting them on a plane as soon as practicable is better, more humane and in the end more affordable for the government than leaving them in lock up for upwards of a year while they try in vain to stump up money for a flight home. I'm presuming it costs the government more than a couple of dollars per day per prisoner in the IDC. 

3 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Oh oh.... someone who hates old people, hates whites, and hates men. 

Ageist, Racist and Sexist.

I’m shocked the moderators did not remove your post and give you a stern warning. 

No room for hate in this forum. 

Calm down, champ. I'm a white male myself, so I can assure you I hate none of the above things you accuse me of.

Rather, I was referencing the story about the old white bloke who got picked up allegedly sneaking into Thailand the other day, and the fact that a large chunk of posters who fell into his demographic were very supportive of him and critical of the Thai government's actions toward him. I then drew the parallel with this story, involving a non-white male, and wondering if the same posters would be as sympathetic about it. 

Nothing ageist, racist or sexist about it - I suspect you knew that though, but just wanted to feign outrage. Well done. 

20 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Interesting, because I found a flight on skyscanner to neighbouring Lebanon (turns out you can't fly to Syria from Bangkok) for $500 USD leaving in a couple of days. I'm sure you could get to Syria from Beirut for less than the remaining US $100.

Either way, I think you missed my point that surely putting them on a plane as soon as practicable is better, more humane and in the end more affordable for the government than leaving them in lock up for upwards of a year while they try in vain to stump up money for a flight home. I'm presuming it costs the government more than a couple of dollars per day per prisoner in the IDC. 

You obviously have never been inside immigration at Soi Suanplu.

These Immigration centres and the actual jails themselves make money for those in charge of them. It is also ' alien ' to their thinking to pay for an airplane ticket for an overstayer!

The pitiful government budget for food for inmates and over stayers is so disgusting, that most that are in a position to get out of Immigration detention, find a means to obtain money to get out of those places ASAP.

This place sure isn't the UK where they actually ' charter ' flights to get rid of deportees and illegals, as well as central heated, private cells with TV and  credit phones plus ample meals a day, whilst they are waiting!

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

They went through the shredder so it was ground pepper.

I was in India once in a downtown restaurant shack. I asked for the salt and pepper. They came back with the salt....and a copy of The Hindu, neatly folded.

Rooster

2 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I was in India once in a downtown restaurant shack. I asked for the salt and pepper. They came back with the salt....and a copy of The Hindu, neatly folded.

Rooster

Then you said, "What's The Hindu?"

To which the waiter replied, "Lay eggs."

8 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

You obviously have never been inside immigration at Soi Suanplu.

These Immigration centres and the actual jails themselves make money for those in charge of them. It is also ' alien ' to their thinking to pay for an airplane ticket for an overstayer!

The pitiful government budget for food for inmates and over stayers is so disgusting, that most that are in a position to get out of Immigration detention, find a means to obtain money to get out of those places ASAP.

This place sure isn't the UK where they actually ' charter ' flights to get rid of deportees and illegals, as well as central heated, private cells with TV and  credit phones plus ample meals a day, whilst they are waiting!

I actually have been inside the IDC and know what a shit-hole it is, so completely agree with your assessment.

While I agree that the money spent on food etc is terrible, the general running costs per inmate (staff, electricity, other services etc) must start to mount up, even when averaged out over the over-crowded population. I'm aware that plenty of people spend upwards of 6 months inside the IDC before getting home, so while I appreciate it's alien to their thinking, surely logically speaking it would make sense to just get people out and run a much smaller, cheaper operation. Especially when you hear about people from not-too distant lands where the cost of getting them home isn't even that much. 

In New Zealand, I know the government will pay to deport people if they don't have the money for their own flights home, but that person gets blacklisted and isn't allowed back after that until the cost of their flight is repaid. That said, I guess it's a lot harder to get into a small island in the middle of the ocean than across the thousands of km of unprotected borders here. 

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Then you said, "What's The Hindu?"

To which the waiter replied, "Lay eggs."

Titter.

Actually what I did was tear a page out of the paper and using my origami skills folded it into a neat hat. i then put the hat on and finished my omelette. I never did get the pepper but the waiters thought it was hilarious.

Rooster

1 minute ago, thequietman said:
6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why didn't i think about this excuse, silly me going to the immigration office every year and spend hours there to get my peppers in order...

is there a garden there ?? ????

Yes, I've bean there once.

6 hours ago, SammyT said:

This thread will be a great test to see if the old white males who defend other old white males for overstaying/immigration offences do the same for a Syrian. 

I'm an old white male. I defend no one for overstaying, whatever their background.

On 6/18/2019 at 2:11 PM, peterb17 said:

In the old days- text messages were expensive, and this brought about the use of abbreviations.

Perhaps if the OP posed a question of originality and with the correct usage of the English language- he/she/ they may receive some replies.

Due to the total banality of the question- I rather doubt it.

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It's not only Syrian nationals.

Perhaps all countries should adopt a common sense test, in order to work out if their citizens should be allowed outside of the country to blacken their country's name.

Applicant: I've been waiting for months now for my passport application to be approved.

Official: We have done our investigation and you have been deemed to be too stupid to be issued with a passport.

The airlines would protest, as being too stupid to travel would involve the 95 percent of the world's population who believe in an invisible and imaginary 'friend' as a crutch to help them get through life.

Passport , visas and all  other length of stay details are surely on a data base somewhere . It can't be that difficult to highlight the name of the over stayer. My Internet provider soon reminds me if and when I miss a payment !!! 

Archived