Syrian on 1,702 day overstay: Tells immigration he didn't know how to extend visa

webfact

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why didn't i think about this excuse, silly me going to the immigration office every year and spend hours there to get my peppers in order...

Because you want to stay here longer than he did !

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

working without a permit?

condo rental?

marriage?

Being deported to Syria seems like a dreadful punishment, maybe he could apply for asylum?

If he has been in Thailand for almost 4 years and don't speak Thai language fluently. It would be very fishy and there should be more of them. I understand Thai language about 20% when I toured in Thailand for about 2 weeks. 

Recently, there was this march of rally hailing their almighty creator along the city as someone posted on FB. There could be some of them in the rally groups.

6 hours ago, SammyT said:

I'd be interested to know what it costs the Thai government to house an individual prisoner per day in the IDC. For example, if this guy doesn't have money for an airfare, Syrian government doesn't help, how many days does he have to stay in the IDC before the cost of accommodating him exceeds what it would have cost for him to just be chucked on an airplane and sent straight home as soon as possible. Particularly for those who come from very impoverished backgrounds - a $600 USD one way airfare is always going to be pretty unattainable. 

Keeping in mind that sending someone back to Syria could very possible mean a death sentence...

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well, that's a new one. I am often surprised at the depths to which stupidity runs.

Have to say though that the four immigration officers in the photo look a little too smug for my liking. After all, they simply arrested someone incredibly dumb, who just walked up to them, apparently blithely ignorant of the trouble he was in, but they look like they caught a master criminal.

Anyway, they have locked him up, when a possibly better option would have been to send him on his way, with a blacklist from reentering for the appropriate period, along with the suggestion he grow some brains.

Good one, mate!

43 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

Keeping in mind that sending someone back to Syria could very possible mean a death sentence...

Unless he was fleeing persecution to come to Thailand then that's not strictly true. Yes, it's war-torn, with 400k dying since 2011 (50k a year). That's only slightly more than double the road toll of Thailand (24k) and you wouldn't say that sending someone back to Thailand is sending them to their deaths. 

2 hours ago, Humpy said:

Passport , visas and all  other length of stay details are surely on a data base somewhere . It can't be that difficult to highlight the name of the over stayer. My Internet provider soon reminds me if and when I miss a payment !!! 

I've always wondered this too. Surely every month they could print out the top 1000 overstayers and send the BiB out to hunt for them. Sounds like plenty of these guys live in the same house they've always lived in, but they've just never had their door knocked on. 

I have had 2 visits in 6 months for passport check . both times 3 plain clothes saying they are the police check passport .mine is in order so they went away anyone else had visits had visits or are the targeting me i live alone in rented house .have retirement visa. and 70 years old . bit scary as i at least i thought thy would be in some uniform ?  

How did he get the new passport?  Surely relatives cannot be issued with a new passport for someone not in the country of issue!

How did he pay his rent?

Why wasn't he reported as staying by his landlord?

Was the new passport real or forged?

This guy doesn't appear to be stupid. He appears to have been intelligent enough to live, work and create a nice life for himself without abiding by the laws of the land.

Maybe he was intelligent enough to hand himself to the authorities when his money ran out and he needed a free flight home.

More to this story than meets the eye!

I have had 2 visits in 6 months for passport check . both times 3 plain clothes saying they are the police check passport .mine is in order so they went away anyone else had visits had visits or are the targeting me i live alone in rented house .have retirement visa. and 70 years old . bit scary as i at least i thought thy would be in some uniform ?  

May I ask what nationality you are ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, NoComment said:

How did he get the new passport?  Surely relatives cannot be issued with a new passport for someone not in the country of issue!

How did he pay his rent?

Why wasn't he reported as staying by his landlord?

Was the new passport real or forged?

This guy doesn't appear to be stupid. He appears to have been intelligent enough to live, work and create a nice life for himself without abiding by the laws of the land.

Maybe he was intelligent enough to hand himself to the authorities when his money ran out and he needed a free flight home.

More to this story than meets the eye!

Application by mail, he prints the application form fills it in with his Syrian address and his family receives it

Thai landlords don't usually report so they pay less tax

He won't get a free flight he'll be in detention until he pays for one, some people died of old age in detention after decades there

I can´t understand the Thai Immigration system.

They found the date the Syrian guy entered Thailand (22 July 2014) in the incredible computer system of Immigration.

If no 90 days report was done, they could very, very easy get hold of him, with the little help of TM30. If not (obvious in this case) why do we all have to do the 90 days report and landlords do the insane TM30. 

This case just shows, nothing works!

Happens in Thailand ????

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why didn't i think about this excuse, silly me going to the immigration office every year and spend hours there to get my peppers in order...

Or the old Steve Martin comedy routine, where he gets audited by the USA IRS tax guys and asked why he has not filed his taxes for the last 12 years.  Martin says:  "I forgot".  Good luck with that defense

14 hours ago, SammyT said:

This thread will be a great test to see if the old white males who defend other old white males for overstaying/immigration offences do the same for a Syrian. 

You're so wrong Sammy, the bitter old sexpats will assassinate anyone regardless or race, color or creed.

11 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

working without a permit?

condo rental?

marriage?

Being deported to Syria seems like a dreadful punishment, maybe he could apply for asylum?

I think the asylum ship has sailed. Pretty sure you need to claim asylum at the 

earliest time possible.

I reckon he found more Navy Seals, Delta Force, Marines, FBI and CIA in Thailand than he'd ever encounter having a beer in Syria, so he wants to go home to the Kurds who can win a fight.

14 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

It could possibly be a solution that when the first visa is issued, a fact sheet in the persons home language is given to them outlining the responsibilities that having a visa incurs.

If entering visa exempt a small A3  leaflet in persons native language. or a card with a link to website in the persons  language?

Waaaaaay too logical for Thailand!!!

How many bundles of paper would Immigration at Swampy need to cater for all the different nationalities ?

You think its a pain waiting now :cheesy:

Think about the queues if your wonderful idea was implemented 

20 hours ago, shackleton said:

so how did he survive financial wise where was his money coming from 

Condo apartment ect 

overstaying 1702 days and not being found out earlier cant be that stupid 

I agree 100%, I call BULLSHIT. Next to the RACE CARD they pull the STUPID CARD. Like the migrant in Canada who beat his wife nearly to death with a "hockey" stick and told the "Judge" that the did not know that it was against the law to do this.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:15 AM, SammyT said:

This thread will be a great test to see if the old white males who defend other old white males for overstaying/immigration offences do the same for a Syrian. 

Just begging for comment huh. Why....? So you can make it racist.

Sounds a bit like the U.K. Syrians swanning in and wandering around willy nilly. Difference is us halfwits in the U.K. put up with them putting them on benefits far higher than our own citizens 

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:15 PM, darksidedog said:

Well, that's a new one. I am often surprised at the depths to which stupidity runs.

Have to say though that the four immigration officers in the photo look a little too smug for my liking. After all, they simply arrested someone incredibly dumb, who just walked up to them, apparently blithely ignorant of the trouble he was in, but they look like they caught a master criminal.

Anyway, they have locked him up, when a possibly better option would have been to send him on his way, with a blacklist from reentering for the appropriate period, along with the suggestion he grow some brains.

I think they locked him up to see if he can pay the over stayer fees.

If he is a master criminal he will not have a problem with this.

Maybe even get a new visa in the process.

Archived