Thai Airways sneaks into Top Ten. Skytrax World’s Best Airlines Awards 2019.

webfact

Thai Airways sneaks into Top Ten. Skytrax World’s Best Airlines Awards 2019.

By The Thaiger

A380_AC-1240x730.jpg

PHOTO: A Thai Airways Airbus A380

Qatar Airways is the world’s best airline in the 2019 Skytrax World Airline Awards. Last year’s winner Singapore Airlines, has been relegated to second place. Asian airlines have taken six of the top ten spots with Thai Airways, despite their local woes, just sneaking into the Top Ten.

The Skytrax awards are the most prestigious in the business, voted for by travellers.

Qatar Airways has also won the Skytrax top award in 2017, 2015, 2012 and 2011. Qatar Airways also won World’s Best Business Class, World’s Best Business Class Seat and Best Airline in the Middle East. Qantas Airways nabbed number 8 on the list, after failing to make the top 10 in 2019.

Singapore Airlines also won key awards including World’s Best Cabin Crew, World’s Best First Class, Best Airline in Asia and World’s Best First Class Seat. AirAsia won World’s Best Low-Cost Airline topping off a stellar win for Asian airlines this year. Lufthansa was the only European airline able to break the top 10. US airlines were conspicuously absent in the listings but United Airlines did World’s Best Business Class Lounge.

British Airways, which failed to attract any awards in 2018, won Best Airline Staff in the UK and Most Improved Airline in Europe (that will make a wonderful headline in the British tabloids today).

Qatar-Airways.jpg

World’s Best Airlines for 2019

1. Qatar Airways

2. Singapore Airlines

3. ANA All Nippon Airways

4. Cathay Pacific

5. Emirates

6. EVA Air

7. Hainan Airlines

8. Qantas Airways

9. Lufthansa

10. Thai Airways

Best Airlines by Global Region

Northern Europe – Finnair

Western Europe – Lufthansa

Eastern Europe – Aeroflot Russian Airlines

Africa – Ethiopian Airlines

Australia / Pacific – Qantas Airlines

Central Asia / India – Air Astana

China – Hainan Airlines

Central America / Caribbean – Copa Airlines

South America – LATAM

North America – Air Canada

Asia – Singapore Airlines

Middle East – Qatar Airways

Europe – Lufthansa

Best Low-Cost Airlines

Africa – Fastjet

Australia & Pacific – Jetstar Airways

Asia – AirAsia

Central Asia / India – IndiGo

China – West Air

South America – Sky Airline

Southwest Airlines – WestJet

Middle East – Flynas

Europe – EasyJet

Best Airline Catering

Economy – EVA Air

Premium Economy – Austrian Airlines

Business – ANA All Nippon Airways

First Class – Air France

Source: https://thethaiger.com/news/world/thai-airways-sneaks-into-top-ten-skytrax-worlds-best-airlines-awards-2019

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-06-19

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, webfact said:

voted for by travellers

That makes it an useless award, because how many of those travellers have actually experienced every airline to be able to make a valid comparison?

Plus its open for fraud where an airline pays a PR company to get a million votes. So you can expect an airline from a country filled with fraud that really needs some good PR to sneak in the top 10...

Last month I flew on ANA. A very nice experience travelling to Narita....then got on United Airlines (partner airline) to fly home to the States...ugh! If there is a prize for the worst airline of all time, United must be in the running. Truly awful.

And congratulations to Thai airlines for becoming one of the world's best. Perhaps other businesses in Thailand can follow their lead and upgrade their (currently appalling) standards of service.

2 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

That makes it an useless award, because how many of those travellers have actually experienced every airline to be able to make a valid comparison?

Plus its open for fraud where an airline pays a PR company to get a million votes. So you can expect an airline from a country filled with fraud that really needs some good PR to sneak in the top 10...

Maybe it is true what you say, but fair's fair...credit where it is due.

I flew with Thai air for years but they've got into some proper financial difficulties and their prices went out of control.when I booked to come back to uk it was £1,200+ for Thai economy and £700 for BA so didn't have to think much about it.not quite up to Thai standard but hey £500+ saving was well worth it.i try to avoid Thai air and use air Asia who are super cheap on domestic flights.

it looks like the government will be throwing loads of taxpayers money at Thai air to keep them running in the future.

8 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I landed this morning on TG as per usual and was bused to the gate at BKK.

Is there any other airline in the top ten that buses their passengers to the gates at their own national airport?

Maybe they had to pick you up from the hospital that's why they used a bus

I came 4 days ago from Perth and did not get bused I just had to wait over

one hour at the immigration

18 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Is there any other airline in the top ten that buses their passengers to the gates at their own national airport?

That does annoy me with Thai, they sell the gate slot to a paying airline as the airport is over capacity, least you don't have to walk far when bused in!

Perhaps each member of this administration cast 20 votes? Not sure how they could have achieved this on the merits of what they are doing, the service they are providing, nor the quality of the equipment. Perhaps it had something to do with the attractiveness of the flight attendants? Just saying. 

40 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

They didn't make you walk, be grateful ????

40 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Not so bad as they drop you off a lot closer to immigration than the never ending walk from a gate

My last two flights on Thai could best described as very ordinary, they left on time and arrived on time.

Catering business, ordinary.

Service at the standard you would expect, but have experienced better on several airlines

Not surprised with Emirates losing ground...poor service at check-in counters in BKK....and in flight, very often the crew/stewards seemed not in a hurry to attend and not very friendly..mostly the East European females...pity.

These surveys … Air Canada?! They work in conjunction with United. And truthfully that might not be the bad point. So check your ticket details. ????

Number 1 - Qatar
I flew Qatar out of Chiang Mai last April. Really looking forward to it. Yes you pay more but nice avoiding the Bangkok link flight. That said they had run out or didn’t have their other option for their breakfast meal (planes leaves at 730 AM). All of us, in Econ, ended up with noodles … ?  stirfried egg noodles with a scrambled egg tossed in (?). This is like the cheap noodles out of a Mama cup. You buy stuff like this on walking street for 30 baht. My God, even the steward and stewardess looked embarrassed. I tried a couple bites and gave it to him on the way back up the aisle. 

They had great food the Doha to Athens link so have no clue what happened to their Chiang Mai run. You get better food on Air Asia. A big thumbs down. 

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Emirates in Dubai.

Lufthansa in FRA/MUC.

Qatar in Doha.

What is disgraceful is that TG uses buses (almost 100% of the time on CNX-BKK) when several gates are clearly emtpy and presumably available.  Cost I suppose.

The Thais (and Asians in general) exploit these silly, meaningless surveys. 

All they would have had to do is spread the word that each Thai traveler should vote every trip. 

And many would do it out of nationalistic pride and Face. Easy. 

For some , Nothing that Thais do can be any good. being a member of this forum for over ten years, always  the same toon. 

I wonder why these people are even here. Well not really, I know why they are here.

Pathetic!!

I have been travelling for over a half century,(gosh I remember the "Comet and Constellation) and other than "rating" services/companies on some websites since they have been in existence, never been contacted to complete a survey on an airline

Archived