Thai Airways sneaks into Top Ten. Skytrax World’s Best Airlines Awards 2019.

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Austrian Airlines hast best catering in Premium Economy, the food must be a heck of a lot better than in their business class. Or the voters go by experience some years ago. Their business class catering on my recent flight was economy standard on SQ.

Finnair makes best airline in N. Europe. Haha, I dread to think what the others are like.

Best to ignore all these "awards" and to go by your personal like/dislike.

I take QR or Oman for price and seat comfort at this time. Food is of no interest.

Thai First Class passengers overwhelmingly selected Thai Airways as having the best completely free First Class seating made available to high level Thai government officials, Thai military generals and all of their family members.

World’s Best Airlines for 2019

1. Qatar Airways

2. Singapore Airlines

3. ANA All Nippon Airways

4. Cathay Pacific

5. Emirates

6. EVA Air

7. Hainan Airlines

8. Qantas Airways

9. Lufthansa

10. Thai Airways

I have flown with each of these airlines except Hainan.  I avoid anything that comes from the PRC.  Cathay Pacific was the most disappointing(below average food and rude FA’s).  Eva Air is overrated(average food and again rude FA’s).  I mostly fly Singapore even though they are usually the most expensive. Both Qatar and Emirates used to have multiple flights a day to BKK from DOH and DXB.  Overall the FA’s on ANA were the best.  For me Japanese ladies are just great.  I think Thai Airways best days are in the past.  

Air Asia got an award?  Really.  Never again.  Also, Scoot Air in SE Asia is one to avoid.  

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I landed this morning on TG as per usual and was bused to the gate at BKK.

Is there any other airline in the top ten that buses their passengers to the gates at their own national airport?

Thai fly various aircraft, including older 747 on some routes, as well as 777-300ER and the 787 Dreamliner. More recently introduced the new and wider wingspan A350-900 which I believe is too wide for the standard air-bridges at Suvarnabhumi and having to bus it to the aircraft on the tarmac. The A350-900 took forever to gain Australian government approval to fly to Melbourne because of the wingspan issue I'm sure. 

It's usually more common for the budget airlines to use bus to aircraft on the tarmac at BKK and DM as I'm sure the charges are lower for the airlines. 

7 minutes ago, owenm said:

Thai fly various aircraft, including older 747 on some routes, as well as 777-300ER and the 787 Dreamliner. More recently introduced the new and wider wingspan A350-900 which I believe is too wide for the standard air-bridges at Suvarnabhumi and having to bus it to the aircraft on the tarmac. The A350-900 took forever to gain Australian government approval to fly to Melbourne because of the wingspan issue I'm sure. 

It's usually more common for the budget airlines to use bus to aircraft on the tarmac at BKK and DM as I'm sure the charges are lower for the airlines. 

I've just flown to and from the UK, outward bound on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner, and coming back on the Airbus A350 and the Airbus was head and shoulders above the Boeing in my opinion – – this for comfort, space and general layout.

Good to see Qantas in amongst an award, but sad that Air New Zealand was not also there as they regularly win best airline and best service awards (or one of the best) from different surveys.

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

I've just flown to and from the UK, outward bound on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner, and coming back on the Airbus A350 and the Airbus was head and shoulders above the Boeing in my opinion – – this for comfort, space and general layout.

Good to see Qantas in amongst an award, but sad that Air New Zealand was not also there as they regularly win best airline and best service awards (or one of the best) from different surveys.

I am not a fan of the Dreamliner either, well the Thai version at least, have not flown any other Dreamliner.

I agree Air NZ great, and won an award in another airline awards recently

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

True but surely the national carrier should be using the gates closest to immigration and baggage claim?

Bangkok Airways is the same.

Thai airways have a ton of flights and I dont think even double the available gates would be able to accommodate them all so its just luck of the draw.

4 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Is there any other airline in the top ten that buses their passengers to the gates at their own national airport?

Happens to me all the time flying to and from Beijing. Business class and treated like cattle in an overcrowded bus.

Flying BKK to Dubai on Emirates go to check in handed over my British passport the girl said you no have visa, I dont need one yes you do, no I dont then this Thai guy behind me why you no listen to her and mover away, why you no mind your own business with that there are now 2 Emirates reps near by so I shout them over so I told them what was going on and they confirmed with a British passport no need the girl still said no with that we had to get the manager down to put her straight, I turned to the Thai guy behind me its only you dodgy bastards that need visas everywhere you go, The girl lost big face that day 

Confirms the Skytrax rating system is invalid.  THAI service and equipment has steadily declined over the last 30 years and is now one of the worst airlines operating in Asia, likely one of the least profitable too.  

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

For some , Nothing that Thais do can be any good. being a member of this forum for over ten years, always  the same toon. 

I wonder why these people are even here. Well not really, I know why they are here.

Pathetic!!

That's because most of the (same old) people who gripe on here about TG never leave their village and have no idea what they are talking about.

TG used to be very poor ten years ago, with bad food, old aircraft.  But over the last few years they are vastly improved - they have been modernising their fleet, food and service is better than most - and this is reflected in their reviews.  Regionally they are a good airline to fly on and I prefer them over most.

Long haul, not for me - poor IFE with limited choice.  But food, comfort, service etc is just fine.  In fact I would say economy service is better than most.

Business class lounges extremely poor.

9 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Emirates in Dubai.

Lufthansa in FRA/MUC.

Qatar in Doha.

What is disgraceful is that TG uses buses (almost 100% of the time on CNX-BKK) when several gates are clearly emtpy and presumably available.  Cost I suppose.

Not cost.

Thai and Bangkok Airways operate both domestic and international routes and their planes are often cycled between the two.  If an international flight arrives but its next leg will be domestic it has to use a remote gate.  And vice versa.  This is the way the airport is designed with a single terminal that separates domestic and international passengers by concourse.  A domestic flight arrives at concourse A but an international flight can not leave from there, so it's a remote gate and a bus - they can't move the plane from one gate to another.

I agree it is a bad impression, but it can be blamed on an ill considered airport design and isn't totally the fault of Thai airways, even though it makes some people happy here to pretend it is.  

8 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Thai First Class passengers overwhelmingly selected Thai Airways as having the best completely free First Class seating made available to high level Thai government officials, Thai military generals and all of their family members.

7 hours ago, owenm said:

If the A380 can gate why can't the A350?

9 hours ago, habanero said:

Thai Airways isn’t even allowed to fly to the US at the moment, given the poor rating Thailand scored in a safety audit. This caused the FAA to downgrade Thailand to Category II, which means they can’t operate flights to the US. 

????????????

Do you want to pick an older or more irrelevant article???  They talk about Orient Thai and One-2-Go!  One-2-Go haven't flown for about nine years!!

Thai has always been able to operate flights to the US.  It wasn't able to expand to new routes while the CAA was red flagged and its processes were under review (nothing to do with Thai Airways safety standards), but that was resolved years ago.

But carry on.  Maybe next time post an article that says Thailand is yet to reach the jet age and is still using propellor planes - how typical of Thailand to be lagging behind!!

48 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

That's because most of the (same old) people who gripe on here about TG never leave their village and have no idea what they are talking about.

TG used to be very poor ten years ago, with bad food, old aircraft.  But over the last few years they are vastly improved - they have been modernising their fleet, food and service is better than most - and this is reflected in their reviews.  Regionally they are a good airline to fly on and I prefer them over most.

Long haul, not for me - poor IFE with limited choice.  But food, comfort, service etc is just fine.  In fact I would say economy service is better than most.

Business class lounges extremely poor.

Dunno about the biz lounge but their first class lounge is probably one of the best. Not only that but they offer private check-in and a golf buggy to the lounge plus still have a smoking room.

6 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Do you want to pick an older or more irrelevant article???  They talk about Orient Thai and One-2-Go!  One-2-Go haven't flown for about nine years!!

Thai has always been able to operate flights to the US.  It wasn't able to expand to new routes while the CAA was red flagged and its processes were under review (nothing to do with Thai Airways safety standards), but that was resolved years ago.

But carry on.  Maybe next time post an article that says Thailand is yet to reach the jet age and is still using propellor planes - how typical of Thailand to be lagging behind!!

You sure?

https://onemileatatime.com/thailand-fails-faa-safety-audit/

1 minute ago, Chelseafan said:

Dunno about the biz lounge but their first class lounge is probably one of the best. Not only that but they offer private check-in and a gold buggy to the lounge plus still have a smoking room.

Biz lounges are jaded and have poor food and booze.  First class is supposed to be one of the best but never used it.

Biz class check in is excellent.   Check in while sitting down and then their own private security and immigration (not shared with the other "fast track" people - one of the best biz class check-ins around.

14 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I can't see Thai Airways making the top 10 for profitability.

But the other 9 are?

12 hours ago, smedly said:

I'd like to see a nationality breakdown of the actual votes, Thais voting for Thai Airways is not going to cut it

Yes. It would confirm that the overwhelming amount of positive votes DO NOT come from the usual half-dozen old farangs on TV who variously claim to have given up flying TG over a dozen or so years ago or quote irrelevant price comparisons for travel plans they never, ever completed with anyone else either.

11 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Yes.

10 hours ago, legend49 said:

Taking the piss? S7 and Aeroflot leave Thai airlines for dead.

Yeah... if you're flying to Moscow, Volgograd and Murmansk.

Context. I just flew TG long(ish)-haul for the first time in ages. Coach r/t to Perth for £660. Roomy A330, quiet, comfy and on time. I could have saved myself about fifty quid and gone via KUL on Malaysian or saved a whole lot more and taken pot luck with a pokey Scoot A320 with a 12 hour stopover in that wonderfully over-rated and hugely expensive Changi.

Oh yes, just noticed I have made it back to Gold status after the last 10 months of regular domestic flight and regional flights on THAI and ThaiSmile.

Food presentation on ANA was over and above requirements. They really put a lot of care and thought into it. FA great also.

Korean 747 service is great, food very good, FA very good.

Any of the awards in the article...would only make sense if done by a independent agency who traveled on all the airlines in all classes. Otherwise, don't mean much.

4 hours ago, Dibbler said:

Confirms the Skytrax rating system is invalid.  THAI service and equipment has steadily declined over the last 30 years and is now one of the worst airlines operating in Asia, likely one of the least profitable too.  

Think I read millions per day

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes. It would confirm that the overwhelming amount of positive votes DO NOT come from the usual half-dozen old farangs on TV

Your ability to insult TVF members is unrivaled especially for an 8 year old

Posted from seat 12A

I wonder who Thai had to sleep with to just sneak in to 10th place, TG was a great airline when there was no competitions around, now with so many airlines as well as low costs to choose from, TG in my opinion is well behind eating dust...

5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Not cost.

Thai and Bangkok Airways operate both domestic and international routes and their planes are often cycled between the two.  If an international flight arrives but its next leg will be domestic it has to use a remote gate.  And vice versa.  This is the way the airport is designed with a single terminal that separates domestic and international passengers by concourse.  A domestic flight arrives at concourse A but an international flight can not leave from there, so it's a remote gate and a bus - they can't move the plane from one gate to another.

I agree it is a bad impression, but it can be blamed on an ill considered airport design and isn't totally the fault of Thai airways, even though it makes some people happy here to pretend it is.  

But you do understand that as paying customers, we are not required to make excuses for incompetence, right? 

In Thailand, there is incompetence every single place we look. And, if one asks an average Thai why something, anything is so poorly done, a ready excuse will usually be furnished. However, this attitude is one of the main reasons Thailand is so undeveloped. 

The airline is incompetent, as witnessed by its frequent changes of leadership, several of whom had no credentials to lead, its profitability problems despite being a top tourism destination, dropping off passengers, even long-haul passengers, onto a scorching hot tarmac to wait for sardine busses and its other management practices. Embarrassing. 

The airport is also incompetent for its inability to staff properly and improve immigration and those idiotic, poorly designed TM forms, questionable duty-free operations, poor, 1970s lighting, runway quality issues, lack of flooding protection, well known corruption in its construction, improper smoking facilities, on and on. 

Immigration procedures are also fairly incompetent with them unable to link databases so that residents here don't have to fill out yet another silly form and send via our landlords everytime we reenter the country. Embarrassing and frustrating. 

At a certain point, it's far easier to just consider the entire system of culture to be incompetent, rather than waste our lives looking for specific places to place blame.

I could spend the next 20 years making excuses for Thais, but what's the point? 

No? 

Archived