Army chief recommends listening to an old Thai song ‘Kilet Manoot’

webfact

Army chief recommends listening to an old Thai song ‘Kilet Manoot’

Sunthorn.jpg

According to an informed army source, Army Commander-in-Chief General Apirat Kongsompong has recommended that his aides and acquaintances listen to an old Thai song called “Kilet Manoot” or (Human Defilement) which, he said, fits the current political situation as politicians squabble over cabinet seats.

The essential translated message of the song, sung by Thanin Intharathep, is that, rich or poor, human behavior, good or bad, reflects one’s background and upbringing. While steel and diamonds are strong, they can be changed by the power of money and being a “kiss-ass” can make even salt taste sweet, but he who has the longest arm will reap the benefits.

Earlier in February, General Apirat suggested Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, Pheu Thai party’s chief election strategist, should listen to the 1970s right-wing political song “Nak Paendin” (Burden of the Land), and ordered army-run radio stations to air the song in retaliation for her suggestion that, if the Pheu Thai party is in government, it will propose a 10% cut in the defence budget and scrap conscription.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/army-chief-recommends-listening-to-an-old-thai-song-kilet-manoot/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-06-19

23 minutes ago, webfact said:

The essential translated message of the song, sung by Thanin Intharathep, is that, rich or poor, human behavior, good or bad, reflects one’s background and upbringing

Maybe have students educated to think outside the box and they'll have a better future. 

24 minutes ago, webfact said:

While steel and diamonds are strong, they can be changed by the power of money and being a “kiss-ass” can make even salt taste sweet, but he who has the longest arm will reap the benefits.

Is that a pop at the Dems and the Bums? Don't worry - people are learning more and more via social media who are reaping all the benefits. 

Pity help Thailand if this army strongman ever gets control which could be any time in the near future.

His father was a previous coup leader so it is in his genes and ambitions.

39 minutes ago, poohy said:

Blooming heck a psychotic Army leader now giving free intellectual and musical advice.

we are so lucky they care! 

coupled with Prayut's recommendations for literature, how can the population go wrong?

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Rap against dictatorship is a far better listen!

I understand those who sang that are currently hiding out in fear of their lives!

41 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Pity help Thailand if this army strongman ever gets control which could be any time in the near future.

His father was a previous coup leader so it is in his genes and ambitions.

It is on its way...

49 minutes ago, JAG said:

I understand those who sang that are currently hiding out in fear of their lives!

It is on its way...

JAG, I like your use of the impersonal, non-human (inhuman) pronoun, 'it', here: VERY appropriate and fitting.

Yes, indeed: I fear IT is on its way ...

26 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

A manoot is a human. Why kilet? It might voice opposition in the future!

Manoot = Intelligent being, not necessarily human.

I was watching the movie Prometheus in Thai, and was discussing the words for the creatures.

The big alien would have been manoot, as it was intelligent.

The creatures were pee-sat, as they were unthinking animals.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

While steel and diamonds are strong, they can be changed by the power of money and being a “kiss-ass” can make even salt taste sweet, but he who has the longest arm will reap the benefits.

in my country the police are sometimes called the 'long arm of the law' - that must be a coincidence ????

13 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

in my country the police are sometimes called the 'long arm of the law' - that must be a coincidence ????

If the police is the long arm, simple extrapolation will have the military as the armpit. No coincidence there. 

Archived