BANGKOK 17 July 2019 20:07
hereforgood

U.S passport renewal at the embassy in Bangkok

A question for anyone here that may have renewed their passport in Bangkok. In the United States when you renew a passport they send the old one back separate post. my friend was told by the passport agency they would come separately not together. If anyone here has renewed in Bangkok could you please let me know if that's the same case here or if they send both the new and the old together since it's out of the country. It could be potential disaster if they send the old one that gets lost in the post with all your visa extension stamps and reentry permits in it.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When you apply at the embassy in Bangkok your old passport never leaves the country. They electronically send to the application to the states for processing and the new one is sent to the embassy.

When you apply by mail they send both passports to you at the same time.

Info for doing it by mail to the embassy is here. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

Thanks very much happy to know that since they keep the old one here at the embassy i am guessing it will be returned to me with the new one 

3 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

Thanks very much happy to know that since they keep the old one here at the embassy i am guessing it will be returned to me with the new one 

Yes it will be.

Posted (edited)

Do they hold your passport while new one is in process? Or you return with your 'old' ppt and they punch the old one and give you the letter? I've read here it's 3 weeks and 48 pages. Additional pages can no longer be added. 

Correct?

Thanks in advance anyone

Edited by Number 6

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It appears there is no option to do the application in person if you qualify for the mailed in report or at least that is how it appears on the page I posted a link to earlier. Which means they hold your old passport until the new one arrives cancel it and send it to you with the new one..

For about a year now when you applied in person they canceled you old passport and gave it back to you when you did the application and they would mail the new one to you. See: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/

I have seen recent reports of it taking about 2 weeks by mail.

I live in Bangkok and I applied last month in person at USA embassy and as you said they cancelled my old passport and gave it back to me when I did the application. They will mail the new passport to you as there is now not an option to pick up your passport at the embassy except in case of emergency or express application which is an additional charge and if expediting you will need proof you will be leaving the country before your new passport could be mailed to you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

I live in Bangkok and I applied last month in person at USA embassy and as you said they cancelled my old passport and gave it back to me when I did the application.

That may of been true last month. On the adult passport application page it only mentions a mailed in applications now.

See:  https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

• Like 1

I had to renew my Passport in 2017, because I only had 6 months left on my Passport and they told me I could not renew my Marriage Visa . So I found a phone # for BKK Embassy and spoke with a very nice man. A bit of a extra cost for an expedited VISA..but, all in all, maybe 1500tb (don't quote me) and I asked if I could have my old Passport back (for memories) and included "extra pages"..got it back in about 5 days!  What a deal!

In any case, best to always have an up to date electronic file of a full and clear scan of every page of your passport (and other documents). Not difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

I think your interpretation of the passport renewal process is incorrect. Mail service is an "option" for those who do not want to travel to the Embassy. It is also listed as an option on the "make an appointment page". It states that "mail service" is  meant to save you time and travel expenses. Nowhere does it say you can't still apply in person. 

Yeap....that's how I read it also.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

I think your interpretation of the passport renewal process is incorrect. Mail service is an "option" for those who do not want to travel to the Embassy.

I wrote earlier it appears. I never wrote it was not allowed.

It just seems odd that they do not mention applying in person on that page of the website.

• Like 1

I did mine by EMS mail from Udon Thani, and included an extra fee for them to "fast it" back to me by EMS. Took 5 days, from here to there and back again. No traffic or waiting in lines or airline tickets. Yes, its scary to throw your Passport in the mail..(I insured it for alot of money too), but have never had any problems with mail, in 9 yrs.

• Like 1