Ten students injured as construction materials fall on school

webfact

Ten students injured as construction materials fall on school

By The Nation

afbfa2129e168a0000e22477f6455a7a-sld.jpe

Ten students were injured when the crane at a building site next to a Bangkok school broke and fell, causing construction materials to fall through the roof of the school’s basketball court on Wednesday, police said.

The Bang Rak fire station and the 199 emergency radio centre were alerted of the accident at Assumption Convent School in Bang Rak district at 10am.

fae6b50c797b05fefb88bcff02e20d43.jpeg

Concrete and metal sheets fell through the roof of the ball court after a crane on the top of a building being renovated at the River Garden Hotel broke and fell.

b7d00e2d674192b8b43119d93a3f38eb.jpeg

The crane remained stuck at the top of the building under renovation.

Some materials also fell on and damaged a pick-up truck outside the court.

All the injured were girl students. Seven of them were rushed to Lerdsin Hospital and three others to Saint Louis Hospital.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30371364

thenation_logo.jpg

Not a single nail will be hammered, vows Aswin, as construction material injures 10 students

By KHANATHIT SRIHIRUNDAJ, 
KORNKAMON AKSORNDECH 
THE NATION

f00f7339f9ff022d550d4857fc157c3e.jpeg

THE RENOVATION work next to Bangkok’s Assumption Convent School is being done without a permit and the operators had been told to suspend all activities since April 1, Bangkok Governor Pol General Aswin Kwanmuang said, after construction materials fell into the school compound yesterday, injuring 10 students.

2fe01e1ce0837937a621ef85f2229fab.jpeg

The city administration said it would file a police complaint against the construction firm for recklessness causing injuries and property damage, as well as for violating building control regulations. Police, meanwhile, are looking for the worker who was operating the crane in question to testify and possibly face recklessness charges. 

“I’ve promised the school that all construction at this building will be suspended. Not a single nail can be hammered there now,” Aswin said. 

The governor added that earlier, Bang Rak superintendent Pol Colonel Doungchote Suwanjaras, had taken photographs of 80 workers at the site to check on their activities and their legal status. Doungchote was inspecting the route near the school as part of preparations for the June 22-23 Asean Summit. 

4a212d70918e03eb31d91044c7ddc911.jpeg

Aswin said that once forensic police have finished investigating the site, public works engineers will have the crane and scaffolding removed to prevent a recurrence of the incident. 

The school, meanwhile, suspended classes for today after 10 schoolgirls were wounded yesterday at 10am when the crane on top of the River Garden Hotel broke and fell, bringing down construction materials that fell through the roof of the school’s basketball court. 

The crane remains stuck at the top of the hotel building. 

Of the injured students, who were rushed to Lerdsin and Saint Louis Hospitals, one has been kept back by doctors at Lerdsin for observation due to a brain concussion. 

c8621cd3eff276a9df8790ee366f2697.jpeg

A pick-up truck parked near the basketball court also was damaged.

Assistant abbot Father Winai Ritthiboonchai revealed that there were four previous instances of the school roof being damaged by falling construction material, which prompted the school to file a complaint with the district office in a bid to get the construction suspended. 

“However, we were advised to file a civil lawsuit, because the falling construction material had not caused any deaths. I found this reasoning unacceptable, so I took my complaint to the deputy Bangkok governor,” Father Winai said. 

Aswin concurred, saying he had heard that the hotel owner had negotiated with the school twice before, apologising for the previous incidents and promising to fix the problems. However, the governor said legal action is required to prevent a recurrence of such accidents. 

Wanlop Suwandee, chief adviser to the governor, insisted that the Bang Rak District Office had not ignored the school’s complaints and had suspended the project since April 1. 

He said the hotel had sought permission to “repair” the building, but instead it began renovating it. As for the latest incident that led to injuries, the hotel claimed it stemmed from an attempt to install a metal fence around the under-renovation area, Wanlop said, adding that city officials will soon file a police complaint to punish those involved. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30371415

thenation_logo.jpg

3 hours ago, webfact said:

THE RENOVATION work next to Bangkok’s Assumption Convent School is being done without a permit and the operators had been told to suspend all activities since April 1,

Business as usual isn't it.  If they put as much effort into regulating illegal activities such as construction without a permit as they do chasing foreigners - maybe just maybe those kids would not have been hurt.

Its as if every Government entity is toothless in Thailand.

The construction company applies to 'repair' but pursues major renovations. Everyone knows this but nought is done.

Construction is ordered to cease but it plods on.

Building materials have rained onto the school 4 times , but construction continues on.

And the Government entity assigned to deal with issues such as this advises the school to file a civil lawsuit ! So what hope would an average home owner have ?

And the clencher :  "However, we were advised to file a civil lawsuit, because the falling construction material had not caused any deaths. I found this reasoning unacceptable, so I took my complaint to the deputy Bangkok governor,” Father Winai said. 

But still nothing was done !

If construction can be stopped now - why couldnt it be stopped before ?

If the news report is true about previous debris raining down on the school, and the "can't do anything until someone is killed", it is pathetic and an example of unsafe practices, wayward thinking and of the unqualified "leaders".

4 minutes ago, Benmart said:

If the news report is true about previous debris raining down on the school, and the "can't do anything until someone is killed", it is pathetic and an example of unsafe practices, wayward thinking and of the unqualified "leaders".

That's the norm here, deep hole in the road  will be fixed when someone dies going down it and only then, usually  with a  high up official pointing at it showing us all how good  he is and has done his  job.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

THE RENOVATION work next to Bangkok’s Assumption Convent School is being done without a permit and the operators had been told to suspend all activities since April 1,

But there was no enforcement at all,just let them keep on working,

regards Worgeordie

33 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

The construction company applies to 'repair' but pursues major renovations. Everyone knows this but nought is done.

Building materials have rained onto the school 4 times , but construction continues on.

And the Government entity assigned to deal with issues such as this advises the school to file a civil lawsuit ! So what hope would an average home owner have ?

And the clencher :  "However, we were advised to file a civil lawsuit, because the falling construction material had not caused any deaths. I found this reasoning unacceptable, so I took my complaint to the deputy Bangkok governor,” Father Winai said. 

I think this is probably the reason somewhere along the chain of officials......

image.jpeg.3d72b454c4d7cf49f5f82a6589aece54.jpeg      =     image.jpeg.d07193a84ff7cac175e8d53fc70f6049.jpeg

1 hour ago, Benmart said:

And why no statement from the national cop or a very senior cop as to the 'can only do something if someone is killed?' comment by a cop.

The current national cop hides under his desk all day every day, totally ineffective. I hope the next one is more active and balanced.

1 hour ago, zaZa9 said:

Media coverage & injuries.

It's what happens when "safety first" is considered a magic formula instead of a mindset. Danger is everywhere in Thailand and just walking mindlessly on auto-pilot is not possible like in my home country.

The sidewalk is dangerous, full of holes. Traffic is dangerous, full of maniacs. I also remember a few month ago coming out of the bts stairs there were shiny sparks/metal drops falling on the sidewalk from some guys soldering on a balcony.

"Police, meanwhile, are looking for the worker who was operating the crane in question to testify and possibly face recklessness charges."

Its not as easy to do a runner from a tower crane..

Unless you have wings...

Not like brake failure on a bus, or beating a passenger for requesting the meter on.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Not a single nail will be hammered, vows Aswin, as construction material injures 10 students

KORNKAMON AKSORNDECH 
THE NATION

THE RENOVATION work next to Bangkok’s Assumption Convent School is being done without a permit and the operators had been told to suspend all activities since April 1, Bangkok Governor Pol General Aswin Kwanmuang said, after construction materials fell into the school compound yesterday, injuring 10 students.

The city administration said it would file a police complaint against the construction firm for recklessness causing injuries and property damage, as well as for violating building control regulations. Police, meanwhile, are looking for the worker who was operating the crane in question to testify and possibly face recklessness charges. 

“I’ve promised the school that all construction at this building will be suspended. Not a single nail can be hammered there now,” Aswin said. 

The governor added that earlier, Bang Rak superintendent Pol Colonel Doungchote Suwanjaras, had taken photographs of 80 workers at the site to check on their activities and their legal status. Doungchote was inspecting the route near the school as part of preparations for the June 22-23 Asean Summit. 

Aswin said that once forensic police have finished investigating the site, public works engineers will have the crane and scaffolding removed to prevent a recurrence of the incident. 

The school, meanwhile, suspended classes for today after 10 schoolgirls were wounded yesterday at 10am when the crane on top of the River Garden Hotel broke and fell, bringing down construction materials that fell through the roof of the school’s basketball court. 

Of the injured students, who were rushed to Lerdsin and Saint Louis Hospitals, one has been kept back by doctors at Lerdsin for observation due to a brain concussion. 

Assistant abbot Father Winai Ritthiboonchai revealed that there were four previous instances of the school roof being damaged by falling construction material, which prompted the school to file a complaint with the district office in a bid to get the construction suspended. 

“However, we were advised to file a civil lawsuit, because the falling construction material had not caused any deaths. I found this reasoning unacceptable, so I took my complaint to the deputy Bangkok governor,” Father Winai said. 

Aswin concurred, saying he had heard that the hotel owner had negotiated with the school twice before, apologising for the previous incidents and promising to fix the problems. However, the governor said legal action is required to prevent a recurrence of such accidents. 

Wanlop Suwandee, chief adviser to the governor, insisted that the Bang Rak District Office had not ignored the school’s complaints and had suspended the project since April 1. 

He said the hotel had sought permission to “repair” the building, but instead it began renovating it. As for the latest incident that led to injuries, the hotel claimed it stemmed from an attempt to install a metal fence around the under-renovation area, Wanlop said, adding that city officials will soon file a police complaint to punish those involved. 

thenation_logo.jpg

6 hours ago, webfact said:

KORNKAMON AKSORNDECH 
THE NATION

thenation_logo.jpg

These people are mental midgets, they really are. I’m astounded at the thought process over here. 

This is not just about permits its unqualified people doing a job that they have no idea about. all crane operators should have a rigger trained to secure loads correctly. Talking of unqualified people the P M had plenty of help rigging did he not, but that could still come crashing down.

3 hours ago, Benmart said:

same as car deaths over 7000 so far killed on Thai Rds this year  not including people who die after.

11 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

This is not just about permits its unqualified people doing a job that they have no idea about. all crane operators should have a rigger trained to secure loads correctly. Talking of unqualified people the P M had plenty of help rigging did he not, but that could still come crashing down.

Looks more like the crane jib collapsed causing the load to fall bur it doesnt look like it was overloaded 

The public safety standards here appear to be atrocious. I am amazed more accidents like this do not occur. The authorities could barely care, until it becomes an embarrassment for them. The companies building the high rises must have very competent management, and high standards. Otherwise? 

Archived