Ten students injured as construction materials fall on school

webfact

Seems to be quite a common occurrence in Bangkok. A few months back whilst eating in one of our local restaurants the car park was showered with bolts which fell from a high rise condo construction site next door. 

Fortunately our car was parked further away but several in the parking lot had some significant damage. Trying to claim that on insurance would be a nightmare here proving liability. Luckily no one was injured on that occasion but thoughts are with the students injured at Assumption. Wishing them a speedy recovery and glad that it wasn’t worse. 

Would the existence of a valid building permit for the renovation of the hotel have prevented the materials falling on the school? I don't think so. It's all to do with the Thai mind-set and the attitude to safety. In the UK and the US, before any repair work is attempted a risk assessment is carried out to highlight any possibility of injury occurring from the activities of the building work.

Only after the risk has been thoroughly investigated and measures taken to prevent injury to third parties will a permit be issued. This will also include making sure those on site have the necessary training to operate machinery and are fully safety-compliant. Can you see where I'm going with this? Not one project would commence in Bangkok because the authorities would not have the wherewithal, training or the desire to issue permits. They only fix the problem WHEN SOMEBODY GETS INJURED.

As they say "nothing new to see here", it's Thailand folks, it is what it is and nothing you say or suggest will change the mindset of Thais.........and as someone said it's not Kansas, the enforced standards and regulations you are accustomed to don't suffice here ...............sadly put up with it for what it is, a developing third world country, or get the hell out of the place............ you can't put brains in statues........ their historical inward-looking culture dominates what works in the best interests of Thais. (A Wink and a Nod) 

13 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

I cant be alone in my relief at getting my lad home safe at the end of the school day.

Thai schools are getting as dangerous as Thai roads nowadays. 

There'll be annual death and disfigurement stats coming soon.

Thailand number One!!

Archived