BANGKOK 21 July 2019 03:24
kellersphuket

HELP! Retirement extension denied because I didn't Wai immigration officer.

hey ya'll, I'd like to share my experience of what just happened to me at phuket immigration this morning. I arrived at the office about 09:45 to renew my visa, got my ticket at 10:30 and sat down in the queue with my documents. My number was called just after 11 and I sat down with the IO. She didnt seem too friendly and demanded that I hand over my documents to her quickly. Accidently I included a paper that she didnt need and she basically threw it back at me. At this point I was getting a little agitated and so I asked her if anything was wrong. Without looking at me she said "you foreigners are so rude, no manners." I thought what the hell, what did i do? Then she said "you know I am police officer right? why you not wai me when you walk into my booth?' I replied "because I am not Thai or buddist, so I dont wai to people." She got really offended and her face started to red up like she was embarrassed. at that point she threw my passport back to me and told me to come back another time when I learn some manners. I told her I cant cos my extension expires tomorrow, at which point she stamped me with a 7 day notice period to leave the country.

<deleted> has just happened? i'm back in my appartment now. what are my options? Do i need to leave next week? can I apply for another extension again? what are my options? I have the 800K sitting in my bank and all documents are correct and up to date.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Oh goodness, perhaps return tomorrow and try again, hope that you will not be serviced by her

Are there rights of appeal?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Better be submissive to any uniform here. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

i thought we farangs are told not to Wai to Thais ?

Which position would be correct, and which one would be an insult ?

I was always told to say hello and give a polite nod of the head, rather than a Wai

• Haha 1