Chicken carcass for dogs, any solution to break them easily ?

22 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Should not give chicken on the bone to dogs as the bones splinter easily and can choke the dog.   This goes for any form of cooked chicken on the bone.

With fish bones it is also a risk.

I was advised by the vet of my last dog that not feedning chicken bones to dogs came from a time when chickens took a lot longer to grow and their bones became more dense.

These days with current farming techniques and chicken breeds, the bones are a lot softer and yield more instead of splintering.

Take it with a dash of fish sauce but it sounds plausible.

5 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Should not give chicken on the bone to dogs as the bones splinter easily and can choke the dog.   This goes for any form of cooked chicken on the bone.

With fish bones it is also a risk.

I said RAW Food, and it seems that this is now the questions asked. I also think that I do not need any help to know how to feel my dogs well.

4 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I was advised by the vet of my last dog that not feedning chicken bones to dogs came from a time when chickens took a lot longer to grow and their bones became more dense.

These days with current farming techniques and chicken breeds, the bones are a lot softer and yield more instead of splintering.

There is clearly no problem to feed dogs with bones, or the whole web would be retarded.

But of course nobody with a brain feeds any cooked bones to dogs.

Had 8 huskies for years and they had no problem eating whole raw chicken. No need to break it down unless you have a chiwawa or something. 

Edit: If you really need to chop them then freeze them and use a machete, axe or heavy butcher knife. 

I have six soi dogs, one we were given as a pup and five orphans, rejects and cast outs.  Chicken carcass we boil and steam to make it easier with the cleaver, then cook cheap broken rice c22bt/kilo in the resulting broth, never waste a calory.  Those brown patties of chicken blood, very cheap, go down well too.   These are tough dogs,  beautifully natured, occasional strong discipline required.

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

Had 8 huskies for years and they had no problem eating whole raw chicken. No need to break it down unless you have a chiwawa or something. 

Edit: If you really need to chop them then freeze them and use a machete, axe or heavy butcher knife. 

I used the machete and its very difficult anyway.

I break them to mix with vegetables, or maybe you have another solution to push them to eat vegs also ? Meat is not enough.

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, nanglong218 said:

I have six soi dogs, one we were given as a pup and five orphans, rejects and cast outs.  Chicken carcass we boil and steam to make it easier with the cleaver, then cook cheap broken rice c22bt/kilo in the resulting broth, never waste a calory.  Those brown patties of chicken blood, very cheap, go down well too.   These are tough dogs,  beautifully natured, occasional strong discipline required.

Not useful and good to cook bones and carcass.

14 minutes ago, nanglong218 said:

Hi, we cook the chicken carcass in the rice cooker with the cracked rice. 

It scared me when I stripped the backbone from a Sea Perch and it was snatched from my hand and gone in a flash.   Perhaps your's is a town dog. My initial searches show nothing about the shits but then I don't know where these dogs crap, out in a field somewhere......    I'll count  them in the morning to see how many are still alive.

I've raised golden retrievers both in the US and here.  I now only have 7 Thai Mutts.  Chicken bones are a no - whether cooked or raw.  Pig and cow bones are okay if given as a treat whole, never macerated.  You should only feed them raw/fresh bones, not cooed ones as they dry out and splinter.

I cook 2 liters of chicken insides, heart,liver ,gizzard and connecting tissue, everyday and mix it with rice.  The insides cost me 70 baht/ kilo, just up from 65 baht/kilo, supplemented with dry kibble.  I use Pedegree3 since it's avaiable locally and not too expensive.  In the US i always used Science Diet,  it's hard to find here and you'll need to take out a bank loan to buy a 20 liter bag.  When I was raising Goldens I once had 23, 5 adults and 19 puppies from two bitches.  They ate me out of house and home.

10 hours ago, myjawe said:

I said RAW Food, and it seems that this is now the questions asked. I also think that I do not need any help to know how to feel my dogs well.

The dogs get excited when you feel em ?

8 hours ago, wayned said:

I've raised golden retrievers both in the US and here.  I now only have 7 Thai Mutts.  Chicken bones are a no - whether cooked or raw.  Pig and cow bones are okay if given as a treat whole, never macerated.  You should only feed them raw/fresh bones, not cooed ones as they dry out and splinter.

I cook 2 liters of chicken insides, heart,liver ,gizzard and connecting tissue, everyday and mix it with rice.  The insides cost me 70 baht/ kilo, just up from 65 baht/kilo, supplemented with dry kibble.  I use Pedegree3 since it's avaiable locally and not too expensive.  In the US i always used Science Diet,  it's hard to find here and you'll need to take out a bank loan to buy a 20 liter bag.  When I was raising Goldens I once had 23, 5 adults and 19 puppies from two bitches.  They ate me out of house and home.

Raw chicken or pig bones are acceptables, but of course cow bones are the best, but impossible to find here.

28 minutes ago, myjawe said:

Raw chicken or pig bones are acceptable, but of course cow bones are the best, but impossible to find here.

Yep, cow bones are macerated at the slaughterhouse when they are butchered and used in animal feed and possibly a filler in McDonald's hamburgers.

23 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I have worked in farming for years, in many different countries.

Can you be sure that the chicken you buy for dogs is from a young broiler bird and not from a spent layer ?

Having seen dogs in Thailand choke on chicken bones, especially leg bones, then I would suggest caution in what you give your friend.

On 6/19/2019 at 10:35 PM, nanglong218 said:

It scared me when I stripped the backbone from a Sea Perch and it was snatched from my hand and gone in a flash.   Perhaps your's is a town dog. My initial searches show nothing about the shits but then I don't know where these dogs crap, out in a field somewhere......    I'll count  them in the morning to see how many are still alive.

On 6/19/2019 at 10:20 PM, myjawe said:

check the web, no bone should be cooked, everybody know shits. Very easy.

I didn't know whatever that is and I have had dogs for 50 years. Since you seem to know a lot more about the subject than we poor humble folk that are trying to help, I suggest you don't ask for advice from anybody.

On 6/20/2019 at 9:34 AM, myjawe said:

Raw chicken or pig bones are acceptables, but of course cow bones are the best, but impossible to find here.

I thought pig meat/bones had to be frozen for 3 months?

Edit - I too have found cow bones impossible to find here.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:43 AM, wayned said:

Why are raw chicken bones unacceptable?  Genuine question.

I have to admit that my dogs prefer their meat cooked, but I'm not convinced this is best for them and so give them raw meat/liver/hearts etc. - whilst my cleaner gives them her own cooked meat 3 times a week in the morning.  I've no problem with this as it's only 3 meals out of 21 and they love it.

19 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

I have worked in farming for years, in many different countries.

Can you be sure that the chicken you buy for dogs is from a young broiler bird and not from a spent layer ?

Having seen dogs in Thailand choke on chicken bones, especially leg bones, then I would suggest caution in what you give your friend.

Raw chicken bones?

Having said this, I'm not keen on chicken here either as they are extremely cruelly raised, and (I gather) full of hormones etc. etc.

Which is why about 80% of my grocery budget is spent on Australian beef and lamb - for my dogs.

Raw bones – yes, even raw chicken bones – are actually quite beneficial for dogs. ... Cooked bones become dry and brittle. When chewed by your dog, cooked bones can crack and splinter leading to painful cuts to the mouth and gums, or, worse, can lead to choking, internal injuries, punctured organs, and death

Surely dogs eat RAW food because they can't cook it. If they could then they would probably prefer cooked food. 

I am under the impression that cooked chicken bones are soft and so do not splinter. 

6 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Raw chicken bones?

Having said this, I'm not keen on chicken here either as they are extremely cruelly raised, and (I gather) full of hormones etc. etc.

Which is why about 80% of my grocery budget is spent on Australian beef and lamb - for my dogs.

You may want to revise your opinion and bring it up to date regarding Thai commercial broiler welfare.

Commercial broilers are not treated cruelly. Mistreatment equals stress equals dead birds equals lost income.

Welfare standards are higher here than the west regarding stocking density, especially the USA.

Hormone and antibiotic growth-promotors are no longer used in Thailand. Neither is animal protein.

Whilst antibiotic is used to treat birds with infections, antibiotic treatment is never given after day 25 (of 45 days growth before slaughter) in order any residues clear their system by the slaughter date.

Much of the chicken produced here goes for export to Japan, Middle East and Europe.

I run a commercial broiler farm in Thailand.

Do yourself a favour and save on your grocery budget..this from the Australian govt site:

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/generalissues/hormonalgrowth/Pages/default.aspx

6 hours ago, myjawe said:

anybody knows a powerful mixer that can mash a whole chicken as this one ?

The problem is that we cannot try them when buying one !

You're having a laugh aren't you? You'd smash up chicken bones into shards and feed to your dogs?

If you are that concerned about bones, strip the carcass, feed the internals and meat to the dogs and boil up the carcass with carrot, celery and onion to make yourself stock.

Discard the carcass and sieve out the veg and add with a little stock to the cracked rice. Your dogs will love you for it, you get 'free' chicken stock and there's no more worry about bones.

I must admit I didn't know cooked bones were worse than raw and will stop, it's easy to strip a cooked carcass too.

On 6/19/2019 at 8:56 PM, myjawe said:

But of course nobody with a brain feeds any cooked bones to dogs.

I shall inform my wife, all she has ever fed our three dogs is chicken carcass, the oldest dog in human years is 15, the next is 14 years and the other is 6 years, they are all remarkably healthy ???? 

Archived