Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 July 2019 03:16
Lacessit

Another scam - the golf "follower".

Recommended Posts

My wife's nephew was playing in a Thai juniors tournament in 2017 at the Siam Country Club (IIRC it was the Plantation Course).

We were told that we needed to hire a golf cart (with driver) to follow the players (2,000 Baht). We paid up, of course, but I suspect it was some sort of scam.

The same boy has played in the US Kids tournament in Scotland for the last 3 years. A few members of my UK family have driven up there to support him. No golf carts available for the visitors, but no charge at all for following the players around the course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't play golf. BUT, I would expect to pay to watch top notch action. And the exercise in nice surroundings of course.

 

Just a thought, if it was free to walk around the course, and a stray golf ball was to hit you on the head, and kill you, would any compensation be paid out to dependents?

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A baiting post and reply have been removed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tiger Woods is in town at the moment. I'm sure he'd PAY YOU to follow you around and get some tips to improve his game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I don't play golf. BUT, I would expect to pay to watch top notch action. And the exercise in nice surroundings of course.

 

Just a thought, if it was free to walk around the course, and a stray golf ball was to hit you on the head, and kill you, would any compensation be paid out to dependents?

Good question. I'm insured for golf course injuries, either to me or anyone I happen to hit.

Australian golf courses carry blanket insurance against such eventualities. AFAIK Thai courses don't. Some insure the caddies, some don't.

I would expect to pay to walk around with top-notch golfers too. I don't expect to have to pay for someone to walk around with an elderly golfer of declining ability when the course is deserted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Tiger Woods is in town at the moment. I'm sure he'd PAY YOU to follow you around and get some tips to improve his game.

Do try to keep up. He's just won the 2019 US Masters.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Good question. I'm insured for golf course injuries, either to me or anyone I happen to hit.

Australian golf courses carry blanket insurance against such eventualities. AFAIK Thai courses don't. Some insure the caddies, some don't.

I would expect to pay to walk around with top-notch golfers too. I don't expect to have to pay for someone to walk around with an elderly golfer of declining ability when the course is deserted.

Right you are; but if you paid to be on a golf course, as a watcher or follower, would some sort of insurance be built in?

 

I was involved in swimming in England and everyone who walked on the poolside was insured, either by the club or the concern hiring the pool. Not sure about people on the balcony, but they didn't pay; unless there was an event (gala), then they were covered under the pool's general insurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Sorry, I can't see the relevance of your post. Does it say his GF and children are on the golf course with him? I think it would be reasonable to say as golfing royalty, no one would dare suggest he should pay for them to be with him, if that were the case.

BTW, not everyone in the world reads American publications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Extra fees for caddy holding a pooper scooper following... 

 

But, the paying for each and every person on the course does seem okay, if Insurance is involved.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...