Another scam - the golf "follower".

Lacessit

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And a tennis court is for those playing tennis, football pitch is for those playing football, a cricket ground is for those playing cricket, a race circuit is for those racing.... 

.... narrow mindedness seems more ridiculous to me. I see no harm in someone wishing to watch their friend play golf, equally so, I don't see any harm in a nominal fee being charged to do so.

Well you seem to have just contradicted yourself. In all that you mentioned, there is no one else allowed on the "field of play" be it a tennis court or race course.  Yes, that would be interesting wouldn't it?

Your narrow mindedness has nothing to do with it. Perhaps a little common sense would help.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EL159 said:

AGREE! This whole thread is RIDICULOUS! "Boo hoo, my Thai Girlfriend has to follow me round the golf course...". WHY? Arent you allowed out on your own? Have to show her how manly you are how far you can hit a golf ball?! Scared she ll be off with another "customer" if you leave her on her own for a few hours?! Forgotten what its like to play sport on your own without some Thai bird gawping at you?!!!

Exactly...

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
15 hours ago, Lacessit said:
Really. If you regard caddies as a ripoff, that suggests you don't know much about them.
Playing golf here for years also suggests you've had time to pick up bad habits.
Tell me, what level of golf proficiency have you achieved here or elsewhere, hmm?

5 handicap, I'm guessing you are 20+ handicap?

Your guess is way wrong. In my heyday, I was plus two. It may be in state archives in Australia somewhere. I don't have an official handicap now, just one with a social group which is designed to ensure I don't win any more of their handicap competitions for the next two years.

I feel we are arguing at cross purposes. Compelled to hire a caddie as well as a golf cart - yes, it's a scam. Compelled to take a caddie whether you want one or not - yes, it's a scam.

However, caddies don't have a say in course management AFAIK - Except perhaps Sand Creek.

I'm saying choosing to hire a caddie because you don't want to lug your own clubs around is not a scam. Purely voluntary. If you are young and fit, or can't afford one, different situation. Your viewpoint might change when you get to my age. Without a caddie, I probably would have given up golf some time ago.

I've been two shots from breaking my age off the stick a year ago. It's a race between me and Father Time.

6 hours ago, EL159 said:

AGREE! This whole thread is RIDICULOUS! "Boo hoo, my Thai Girlfriend has to follow me round the golf course...". WHY? Arent you allowed out on your own? Have to show her how manly you are how far you can hit a golf ball?! Scared she ll be off with another "customer" if you leave her on her own for a few hours?! Forgotten what its like to play sport on your own without some Thai bird gawping at you?!!!

My GF follows me on Mae Kok golf course because she enjoys the walking exercise. She has never followed me around Gymkhana, and I play there three times a week. The course I don't identify was a special occasion with friends.

I'm sure there must be a lot of other threads on which you can display your narrow mind.

On 6/22/2019 at 2:17 PM, Lacessit said:

My GF follows me on Mae Kok golf course because she enjoys the walking exercise. She has never followed me around Gymkhana, and I play there three times a week. The course I don't identify was a special occasion with friends.

I'm sure there must be a lot of other threads on which you can display your narrow mind.

So you play Gymkhana 3 times a week.  That's fine, but I hope you don't base your golf opinion on that course.  Most serious golfers don't even consider Gymkhana a real golf course. 

6 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

So you play Gymkhana 3 times a week.  That's fine, but I hope you don't base your golf opinion on that course.  Most serious golfers don't even consider Gymkhana a real golf course. 

The only thing good about it is that it is very cheap.  The entire clubhouse etc. are in major need of upgrade the course way below average.

A scam, lol. A scam is something deceitful that you are not aware of at the time of parting with your cash, this is called a RULE. As for losing your Bt3,000 I highly doubt they care, in fact they clearly don't.

As for taking your missus with you for a game of golf...still, I bet she is the only 'birdie' on your round.

"Most serious golfers don't even consider Gymkhana a real golf course."

It's a shame, really. 

Thailand's oldest course and it's really just a joke. Fairways of either dirt pounded into a cement-like consistency or patches of four or five different grasses/weeds. It's a wonder it's still open. 

And the clubhouse is a real pity too. If you can find a pic of the original wooden structure, you will see the missed opportunity to preserve that. 

On 6/24/2019 at 9:54 AM, Berkshire said:

It's actually a very tricky course to play, and can bite one with a double bogey on the card out of the blue. Small green targets, tight fairways. It also changes character with the seasons due to its clay base. High bounce wedges and sand irons are useless when the fairways have hardened up in winter. I'd call it a thinking man's course, because distance off the tee takes second place to position and course management.

It's convenient for me, 2 minutes on a scooter from my condo. I'd agree the clubhouse facilities need a makeover. Given the amount of traffic it gets, the ground staff do a pretty good job.

I do know what serious golf is. I was a member of the National Golf Club in Australia. More single figure handicap golfers than any other club in Australia. Three courses, the Old designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr. Same guy that designed Santiburi. The Moonah, designed by Greg Norman. The Ocean, designed by Peter Thomson. Completely different design philosophies. Although I gather the Ocean Course is being ripped up and replaced by a Pete Dye design, as most members and guests found the Thomson philosophy of golf to be too brutal. The Moonah course gets the most accolades from visitors.

Played Gymkhana a few years ago but the ground was so hard at times it was dangerous. Add to that members pulling their own golf trolleys trying to find their balls slowing those behind up and no offers to play through,plus member groups of six (7 on one occasion) on such a small course,crazy.

Best experience, played the World Golf Championship golf course of 2010 at Mission Hills Shenzhen with a club pro one week after the championship was played,awesome

9 hours ago, Thailand said:

Played Gymkhana a few years ago but the ground was so hard at times it was dangerous. Add to that members pulling their own golf trolleys trying to find their balls slowing those behind up and no offers to play through,plus member groups of six (7 on one occasion) on such a small course,crazy.

Best experience, played the World Golf Championship golf course of 2010 at Mission Hills Shenzhen with a club pro one week after the championship was played,awesome

My best experience out of all the great ones was coming up the 18th hole of the Old Course at St. Andrew's in 2003. Good drive, pitched to 10 feet and holed the putt for a birdie. Got a round of applause from about a dozen spectators on the fence. That felt special.

Jezzus whats wrong with guys today?

The very idea of golf in the first place was to get away from the missus..gf's for a few hours!

this place is ideal

since you now have the perfect excuse why the little leeches dont need to drag around checking what you are getting up to 24/7!

1 hour ago, pookondee said:

The very idea of golf in the first place was to get away from the missus..gf's for a few hours!

this place is ideal

since you now have the perfect excuse why the little leeches dont need to drag around checking what you are getting up to 24/7!

My GF and I are separated for one week in three. We don't need to check on each other. It's called trust.

If you feel that way about your Mrs or GF, perhaps you'd be better off without one.

I think what he means, or what I take him to mean is that golfing is often a "guys' day out" sort of an affair where you can shoot the shit and talk openly and freely about any subject (which means complaining about you-know-who or whatever) in the same way that the ladies may go out to a restaurant or pub and do the same thing. I don't think your woman would want you to be part of her ladies's sessions, would she? Would the others? 

Unless this walk-along thing is only on rare occasions, I have to agree that it's a tad on the odd side. 

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

I think what he means, or what I take him to mean is that golfing is often a "guys' day out" sort of an affair where you can shoot the shit and talk openly and freely about any subject (which means complaining about you-know-who or whatever) in the same way that the ladies may go out to a restaurant or pub and do the same thing. I don't think your woman would want you to be part of her ladies's sessions, would she? Would the others? 

Unless this walk-along thing is only on rare occasions, I have to agree that it's a tad on the odd side. 

Only when I'm up in Chiang Rai. When I play in Chiang Mai, which is more often, no.

Part of the ladies sessions? I'd sooner eat razor blades.

14 hours ago, pookondee said:

this place is ideal

EXACTLY! Once years ago my "Mrs" here volunteered that she  "like to play golf", thinking I d take her presumably, so I said fine, you want to play golf, I can tell you where to go buy clubs and I can give you the phone number of a good coach. That was the last I heard of it!!!

14 minutes ago, EL159 said:

EXACTLY! Once years ago my "Mrs" here volunteered that she  "like to play golf", thinking I d take her presumably, so I said fine, you want to play golf, I can tell you where to go buy clubs and I can give you the phone number of a good coach. That was the last I heard of it!!!

Similar to me with fishing long ago. When I went off for the day, the gf would wonder where I'd been and it would be twenty questions when I got back. So, i persuaded her to 'come along'. The place where we went was particularly muddy and uncomfortable. Never caught anything (not a surprise that, as it was a contaminated pond). But it did the trick, and she never wanted to know about the fishing after that. Set me free to seek out some serious meow. Plenty to be had in Dagenham at that time, especially if you had a Cortina.

I'm married in Thailand now, and I find similar with the chess club. She tagged along, and after an hour she was ready to go home. Never wanted to go again, which was just as well as some Lao girls were getting interested in the game, and quick learners they were too.

Archived