Night-blindness Beta-carotene (vitamin A)

bluesofa

I've pasted the title in from an article I found on the net.

Over the past couple of years I've noticed my night vision has become quite bad. I have difficulty seeing things when it's dark and I refuse to drive at night due to this.

I'm sixty-one now and from what I've read it appears as not uncommon. My daytime vision is fine.

It was suggested that Beta-carotene (vitamin A) might help, although not a guarantee. I understand, but thought it was worth giving it a go.

Where can I find "Beta-carotene (vitamin A)"? Is it always in a multi-vitamin packet, or do I need to ask for it specifically?

Next question is - which shops? What national chains here might sell them? I've looked at the Boots website, but can't see anything. Watsons website also don't seem to list it either.

I'm in Udon Thani.

One small, raw carrot contains about 8,000 IU of vitamin A, which includes 4,000 μg of beta-carotene.  That's almost 300% of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A, at a fraction of the cost of pills.  Plus you get other nutrients and fibre.

3 minutes ago, Oxx said:

One small, raw carrot contains about 8,000 IU of vitamin A, which includes 4,000 μg of beta-carotene.  That's almost 300% of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A, at a fraction of the cost of pills.  Plus you get other nutrients and fibre.

Thanks for the suggestion.

As an ignoramus to do with food and medicine, does it need to be a raw carrot, or can it be cooked, as part of a dish?

i.e. does it lose it's potential 'eyesight benefits' if not eaten raw?

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Cooked us fine.
But Vitamin A is unlikely to help unless the problem is due to Vit A deficiency which is extremely unlikely.

Thanks.

Is there something else you might suggest to help with night-blindness, or is it probably only due to age?

I always understood the consumption of carrots to boost eyesight to be an "old wives' tail", something made up during WWII to cover up a night vision secret.

However, I Googled a bit and now I see something that contradicts that belief.

"Carrots do have medical value. They contain beta-carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A. Vitamin A is good for healthy eyesight. It helps the eye convert light into a signal that can be transmitted to the brain, allow people to see in low light, according to Scientific American"

Sheryl would know far better than me but it is my understanding that cooking carrots (and other vegetables) reduces the vitamin value.

Great topic this. Age comes along no matter what we do.

Try the figure-of-eight bluesofa.

Just close your eyes and roll the eyes around in a figure of eight movement. Can be done with the eyes open, but better closed. Repeat three times. Don't over-do it as it can lead to bad headaches. But, once a day is good.

7 minutes ago, neeray said:

I always understood the consumption of carrots to boost eyesight to be an "old wives' tail", something made up during WWII to cover up a night vision secret.

However, I Googled a bit and now I see something that contradicts that belief.

"Carrots do have medical value. They contain beta-carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A. Vitamin A is good for healthy eyesight. It helps the eye convert light into a signal that can be transmitted to the brain, allow people to see in low light, according to Scientific American"

Sheryl would know far better than me but it is my understanding that cooking carrots (and other vegetables) reduces the vitamin value.

That was the same conclusion I came to.

As I said in my OP was how I came to paste the thread title, having read some articles about it.

Yes, I'm hoping Sheryl might have some other suggestions.

Head straight to your nearest place that stocks "King Project" fruit juice cartons...

GAC juice has that vitamin through the roof and they have it all year for sale I think...It is a spiky orange fruit on the carton...20 baht...no preservatives/additives either.....great line of juice all-round.

My eyesight is actually better now that 20 years ago day-time anyway...strange !

This carton....

875c77b68bcba648525d618385e9bbd1-sld.jpe

With this fruit..

Qua_Gac.JPG

9 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Thanks, although reading it seems to suggest there may be many other reasons for night-blindness having appeared recently, rather than just impending old-age which I initially assumed, as others of the same age I've spoken to seem to have the same problem.

33 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

In an older person glaucoma and cataracts are common causes.

Get a full eye check up. Should do that periodically anyhow when past a certain age.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

OK. Do I need to ask for anything special?

About a year ago I had a new pair of glasses, but it does make me wonder if the onus is on me to be 'asking the right questions'?

No one mentioned anything, but there again I didn't ask.

Should I be specifically asking about 'glaucoma and cataracts' here, or will that be checked automatically, wherever I have my eyes tested?

10 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Head straight to your nearest place that stocks "King Project" fruit juice cartons...

GAC juice has that vitamin through the roof and they have it all year for sale I think...It is a spiky orange fruit on the carton...20 baht...no preservatives/additives either.....great line of juice all-round.

My eyesight is actually better now that 20 years ago day-time anyway...strange !

This carton....

875c77b68bcba648525d618385e9bbd1-sld.jpe

With this fruit..

Qua_Gac.JPG

Which is the fruit you're referring to? The carton is tomato juice.

I can't make it out on the Big C page:

https://www.bigc.co.th/search?q=fruit jiuce

You'll have to click "Doikham" on the left column to show them all.

What's so good about this particular one?

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Which is the fruit you're referring to? The carton is tomato juice.

I can't make it out on the Big C page:

https://www.bigc.co.th/search?q=fruit jiuce

You'll have to click "Doikham" on the left column to show them all.

What's so good about this particular one?

"GAC juice has that vitamin through the roof and they have it all year for sale I think...It is a spiky orange fruit on the carton...20 baht...no preservatives/additives either.....great line of juice all-round. "

Read about it online...

10 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

I had reduced night vision and it was caused by the onset of cataracts. No problems after surgery.

Ooh err, that's worrying. I had assumed someone suffering from cataracts had all of their vision impaired?

On 6/20/2019 at 6:35 PM, bluesofa said:

Udon Thani in the city boundary.

The main government hospital in Udon town (a regional level facility) will have opthalmologists – attend the after hours clinic so that you are seen by one of the senior docs.

On 6/20/2019 at 6:20 PM, bluesofa said:

OK. Do I need to ask for anything special?

About a year ago I had a new pair of glasses, but it does make me wonder if the onus is on me to be 'asking the right questions'?

No one mentioned anything, but there again I didn't ask.

Should I be specifically asking about 'glaucoma and cataracts' here, or will that be checked automatically, wherever I have my eyes tested?

Yes get a eye exam from an ophthalmologist, my test 5 years ago showed I had cataracts in both eyes. but worse in left eye, new eye exam every year since, last exam shows I now have Retinopathy in my left eye, so the cataract Opp has been put on hold yet again, will see again  in my next Exam in September...  

Yes is much worse at night/dark, it been about 3 years unless I have to, I never drive when dark. 

You get drops in your eyes + go on a machine that takes photos of your eye balls. me also have had a MRI scan............  When you see the Dr do not drive yourself, I found it difficult to open your eyes in any light for about 3 hours after.

On 6/21/2019 at 7:12 PM, Sheryl said:

The main government hospital in Udon town (a regional level facility) will have opthalmologists – attend the after hours clinic so that you are seen by one of the senior docs.

Thanks for the info Sheryl.

I've been to that hospital before.

I'm a bit baffled by your suggestion about attending after hours in order to see someone more senior?

How can I attend 'after hours', as surely it will be closed, and I'll be told to make an appointment during normal hours?

Or have I missed something?

I tend to favour the Military hospital in the city on Tanon Tahan (Army Road) or often referred to as Khon Kaen Road. I don't know if that's a reasonable option. Prices are the same, but the queues are shorter.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks for the info Sheryl.

I've been to that hospital before.

I'm a bit baffled by your suggestion about attending after hours in order to see someone more senior?

How can I attend 'after hours', as surely it will be closed, and I'll be told to make an appointment during normal hours?

Or have I missed something?

I tend to favour the Military hospital in the city on Tanon Tahan (Army Road) or often referred to as Khon Kaen Road. I don't know if that's a reasonable option. Prices are the same, but the queues are shorter.

Starting around 4 PM there is an after hours clinic whereby the senior doctors can be seen for a fee (usually around 250 baht i.e. 5 times normal fee but still very reasonable), Queue may start as early as 3 PM.

The army hospital is quite a bit smaller, and if they have an opthalmologist likely only one and maybe not every day of the week, and likely a resident (still in specialty training). Which may be OK  depending on the individual and what your problem turns out to be.

Archived