UK Pension Transferwise

Stuart

Just been told by DWP UK that they cannot transfer my pension into my Transferwise account. Anyone had success using Transferwise for there UK pension transfers?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Have you considered having it transferred into a £ Sterling account at a Thai bank? Leave it there until after Brexit, when hopefully, it will eventually improve. Then transfer into Baht at a better rate.

I am informed that immigration will accept £ and US$ accounts as evidence of your 800k for the visa, though I have yet to confirm this myself. Like all things here, it may depend on the mood of the IO!

My UK State old age pension is paid direct into my Thai bank account, no charge, every 28 days.

john
Pension is paid via Citibank in the US. They convert to Thai Baht. The currency exchange rate is costing you. Citibank refuse to pay transfer in pounds sterling.

15 hours ago, jonwilly said:

My UK State old age pension is paid direct into my Thai bank account, no charge, every 28 days.

john

That's OK if you are building up your 800k. But it is no good if using the 65k a month as you could get one month with no transfer, and one month with two. But hey, who gets £1650 UK old age pension?   LOL

Have you considered having it transferred into a £ Sterling account at a Thai bank? Leave it there until after Brexit, when hopefully, it will eventually improve. Then transfer into Baht at a better rate.

I am informed that immigration will accept £ and US$ accounts as evidence of your 800k for the visa, though I have yet to confirm this myself. Like all things here, it may depend on the mood of the IO!
Citibank will not do a pound sterling transfer. Making too money on currency exchange with the UK governments blessing (blind eye politics).

On 6/20/2019 at 12:41 PM, Stuart said:

Pension is paid via Citibank in the US. They convert to Thai Baht. The currency exchange rate is costing you. Citibank refuse to pay transfer in pounds sterling.

I think it is paid via Citibank Ireland. The pension service in their literature says using this method of transfer has a better exchange rate, plus there are no fees..

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

He has his state pension into Transferwise? No problem with the DWP?

Me neither, I have had my DWP pension paid into my TransferWise since December last year with no problem. My RAF pension and my company pension are also paid into TW. Each time a pension is paid into TW I get an SMS. 

I then transfer an amount into my Thai Bangkok bank account where it shows up as a FTT transfer and then transfer it to my KBank account for free.

As an example the forex rate for KBank yesterday was 38,75218 and for TW it was 39.1106 per GBP. So with TW you get a better forex rate and unless your pension is paid on a Friday it will be in your Thai Bank account within 24 hours instead of the 3 or 4 days with Citibank.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

I do not live in the UK

I don't live in the UK either and I had no problem opening a TW account.

On 6/20/2019 at 1:18 PM, wgdanson said:

That's OK if you are building up your 800k. But it is no good if using the 65k a month as you could get one month with no transfer, and one month with two. But hey, who gets £1650 UK old age pension?   LOL

Not correct as if you opt for the 4 weekly payment you actually get 13 transfers per year.

2 hours ago, transam said:

I think it is paid via Citibank Ireland. The pension service in their literature says using this method of transfer has a better exchange rate, plus there are no fees..

They lie like a cheap Chinese watch.

There are always fees and if they park the money in their bank overnight and lend it out they make money on your money. If it takes 3 days to reach your account they earn interest each day.

19 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Me neither, I have had my DWP pension paid into my TransferWise since December last year with no problem. My RAF pension and my company pension are also paid into TW. Each time a pension is paid into TW I get an SMS. 

I then transfer an amount into my Thai Bangkok bank account where it shows up as a FTT transfer and then transfer it to my KBank account for free.

As an example the forex rate for KBank yesterday was 38,75218 and for TW it was 39.1106 per GBP. So with TW you get a better forex rate and unless your pension is paid on a Friday it will be in your Thai Bank account within 24 hours instead of the 3 or 4 days with Citibank.

I don't live in the UK either and I had no problem opening a TW account.

Not correct as if you opt for the 4 weekly payment you actually get 13 transfers per year.

Sorry, yes you will get one month with TWO transfers. And that will f..k up the dates you need to show the Immigration.

DWP probably can't initiate a transfer using Transferwise, but if you open a "Borderless Account" with them it'll have a sort code & account number like any UK bank - DWP can send it there, and you can then initiate the transfer yourself to your Thai bank, and you can make the transfers monthly rather than 4 weekly.  

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry, yes you will get one month with TWO transfers. And that will f..k up the dates you need to show the Immigration.

No it won't.

When I do my extension it will show 37 transfers, 12 each of my RAF pension and company pension and 13 of my state pension.

What Immigration are looking for is the amount of pension per month and not the number of transfers per month.

49 minutes ago, billd766 said:

No it won't.

When I do my extension it will show 37 transfers, 12 each of my RAF pension and company pension and 13 of my state pension.

What Immigration are looking for is the amount of pension per month and not the number of transfers per month.

That would make sense, but there has also been at least one report that one payment per month, at roughly the same date each month is what is required (by one IO at least).

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

No it won't.

I was just referring to the State Pension, sorry.

10 hours ago, steve73 said:

DWP probably can't initiate a transfer using Transferwise, but if you open a "Borderless Account" with them it'll have a sort code & account number like any UK bank - DWP can send it there, and you can then initiate the transfer yourself to your Thai bank, and you can make the transfers monthly rather than 4 weekly.  

Totally correct. The best way to do it.

10 hours ago, billd766 said:
2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

No it won't.

I'll be putting this to the test next month in Sakon Nakhon. Like @billd766 above, I have 3 pensions and my monthly transfers in over the previous year vary between 1 and 3 per month. When convenient, I consolidate the transfers via my T/W Borderless account.

I had a chat about this with Imm on Friday whilst doing my 90 day Report. He indicated that bank statements with a bank covering letter and my pension statements should be all I need. Just as well because that's all I've got!

Watch this space next month for my feedback.

12 hours ago, treetops said:

That would make sense, but there has also been at least one report that one payment per month, at roughly the same date each month is what is required (by one IO at least).

The RAF pension and my company pension are paid on the 15th and 20th monthly, the only variation is if they come on a weekend or bank holiday. The worst time of the year for that is Songkran. The state pension is paid to TW every 4th Friday and I get it transferred on the Monday following.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I'll be putting this to the test next month in Sakon Nakhon. Like @billd766 above, I have 3 pensions and my monthly transfers in over the previous year vary between 1 and 3 per month. When convenient, I consolidate the transfers via my T/W Borderless account.

I had a chat about this with Imm on Friday whilst doing my 90 day Report. He indicated that bank statements with a bank covering letter and my pension statements should be all I need. Just as well because that's all I've got!

Watch this space next month for my feedback.

I am a month behind you in August.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:18 PM, wgdanson said:

Why would you not get your DWP pension one month and then get it twice the next month?  Never happened to me, always get it paid on time every 4th Wednesday without exception.

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

They lie like a cheap Chinese watch.

There are always fees and if they park the money in their bank overnight and lend it out they make money on your money. If it takes 3 days to reach your account they earn interest each day.

There are no lies involved at all. In the initial literature sent out by DWP it is mentioned that there is a small fee charged for having pensions sent to an overseas bank. If I recall correctly it was around 2 GBP per transaction. But this is largely offset by the favourable exchange rate one receives due to bulk currency exchanges.

It is quite normal for banks to use cash assets for short term borrowing and lending. That's how they make much of their money.

Pension payments take 2 days to reach the destination bank here in Thailand, not 3.

Archived