Pinking

thainet

From my boyhood I remember the term 'pinking', which is when your car engine kinda chatters a bit at the beginning of acceleration, possibly due to a timing issue or improper combustion. Probably a lot of people will remember the term, but what I really want is a translation into Thai, so I can explain to the mechanic (as I have this issue at the moment). Any genuine help appreciated.

I have no idea what the Thai call it, but you may be using a fuel that is too low octane for your car. The other cause used to be incorrect ignition timing, but on modern cars this is not adjustable.

Timing chains and valve gear can make similar noises so you may want to rule these out.

12 hours ago, thainet said:

From my boyhood I remember the term 'pinking', which is when your car engine kinda chatters a bit at the beginning of acceleration,

Best to get Thai mechanic in car so he knows is what's wrong I find best in most cases.

You don't say what car, age, how many kilos. 

The term has many names your pinking is one there is 10 or more reasons for this problem.

Petrol engine knocking also knock, detonation, spark knock, pinging  or pinking in spark-ignition internal combustion engines is usually a defective knock sensor on modern cars.

9 hours ago, neeray said:

Yes, the correct term is "pinging". May interpret better than "pinking" which may also describe what ladyboys do on Walking Street..

The term used in the UK years ago was, may still be, 'pinking', nothing incorrect about it.  The 'correct' version in the US or elsewhere may be 'pinging'.

UK, engine knock = pinking  ????

OP, what is the car, has the engine got "knock" sensors..These adjust timing if knock is detected, perhaps the "knock" system is not working..

Bad fuel, use up most of it then fill the tank at a different station..

On 6/20/2019 at 2:35 AM, neeray said:

Yes, the correct term is "pinging". May interpret better than "pinking" which may also describe what ladyboys do on Walking Street..

It could be a regional/country thing. I remember it as pinking.

AS to ladyboys on walking street - I have no knowledge there.

On 6/21/2019 at 1:04 PM, thainet said:

Gents--thank you all for your thoughtful replies. Much appreciated.

Will service next week and hope it happens when I do the test drive with the mechanic.

We use to call it pinging but I'm a Yank. Could be a bad tank of gas. If the mechanic doesn't find anything try running a tank of 95 octane and see it goes away. Most of the new cars have computers that adjust valve timing to get rid of pinging but a bad tank of gas could cause it. Problem arises when a station pumps gas from an almost empty tank and the water condensation gets into the gas.

Pinking. Advanced ignition timing. The spark plug is igniting the fuel+air mixture a little bit too early before top dead centre. As others have said, in modern day engines the ignition timing is automatically adjusted. Likely one of 2 causes. 1. Low quality fuel. 2. A defective knock sensor.

OP suggest the 2 words you need to look for in Thai are 'knock' and 'acceleration'. Some better fuel might fix the problem without needing the mechanic.

Archived