U.S. Navy says mine fragments suggest Iran behind Gulf tanker attack

webfact

3 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

You have very little imagination. Where did the tankers set off from? Could the mines have been placed while the tankers were anchored? Which countries stand to benefit from Iran getting the blame?

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Okay it might have been a terrorist org funded by Iran. The problem here is Ira threatened to stop oil in the Strait. Now they are being held accountable. It really doesn't even matter who it is when you can't keep your mouth shut and threaten that which came to take place.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, colinneil said:

More bs from the US, Saddam Hussain had weapons of mass destruction, then proven to be BS.

They will say anything just to create hysteria around the world, and for what? Oil thats what.

No doubt Pompeo will be in front of Congress with a jar full of 'limpet mine' fragments.
We've seen this movie and it's remakes before so it's no surprise as to what the sequel will be.

download.jpeg.b602d79a94f6aa70e0cfc5252197d8b6.jpeg

I wonder which country has most to gain from this?

Perhaps one with an opposing ideology?

One known to take direct, covert action against people they see as enemies.

With perhaps strong links to the US.

And one who would gain added benefit from rising oil prices.

I don't really understand what's going on here - but I just can't see what Iran would gain from this action?

Why would any person or country believe anything the US has to say?! Just look at history. The only reason people "believe" and side with them is because they are practically forced to. Nobody is that dumb. Are they? 

2 hours ago, katana said:

Seems a strange place to put it if you were intending to sink the ship.

They probably were not trying to sink that ship but to send a strong message.  If they wanted to sink the ship they easily could with a missle, torpedo, and well placed mine.  What I find interesting is that men aboard that ship said they heard what sounded like a possible missile.   Maybe these mines make some noise like this before they explode ??

3 minutes ago, habanero said:

Not the United States problem. Let whoever owns these ships deal with it.  Time for America to back away and let the rest of the world take care of itself. 

Trump has kind of said that himself, saying that the attacks on the ships are of little importance to the USA. Of course, that doesn't preclude him asserting the exact opposite at any time starting with now.

3 hours ago, katana said:

The US surveillance video claiming to prove Iranian responsibility showed the unexploded limpet mine being removed from several feet above the ship's water line. Seems a strange place to put it if you were intending to sink the ship.

What I have not seen in the media is that Iran rescued 43 sailors from the tankers including 15 Russians.

This limpet mine 'evidence' is flimsy. It looks like a mine they saw on a film in a parade.....give me a break. I still remember Colin Powell's presentation to the UN with its mobile biological weapons satellite pictures....turned out they were simple static caravans. The American's will lie through their back teeth to start a war with Iran.

Using Occam's razor, I want to see a film from a non-US source showing people in identifiable Iranian boats planting the mines...a film that the Russians say has not been photoshopped and proves the case.

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

I wonder which country has most to gain from this?

Perhaps one with an opposing ideology?

One known to take direct, covert action against people they see as enemies.

With perhaps strong links to the US.

And one who would gain added benefit from rising oil prices.

I don't really understand what's going on here - but I just can't see what Iran would gain from this action?

".... just can't see what Iran would gain from this action?"

Sends a message that it is willing to take action, without crossing the line of outright open hostilities. It also serves to make the conflict more "international", rather than a USA-Iran standoff.

Ultimately, for Iran, the only realistic path out of this mess leads to the negotiation table. It would be in Iran's interest to make the stakes higher for both sides, prior to sitting down.

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

What I have not seen in the media is that Iran rescued 43 sailors from the tankers including 15 Russians.

This limpet mine 'evidence' is flimsy. It looks like a mine they saw on a film in a parade.....give me a break. I still remember Colin Powell's presentation to the UN with its mobile biological weapons satellite pictures....turned out they were simple static caravans. The American's will lie through their back teeth to start a war with Iran.

Using Occam's razor, I want to see a film from a non-US source showing people in identifiable Iranian boats planting the mines...a film that the Russians say has not been photoshopped and proves the case.

There was actually media coverage of Iranian forces taking in sailors. It appeared even on this forum.

Doubt Occam's Razor applies to your argument, but it's a nice sounding phrase, for sure.

And verification by Russia? Why would Russia be trusted on this? Or on verifying video in general - still recall that video game footage touted as real.

What it boils down to is that you simply won't accept any evidence or proof, regardless of how well established it  is.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

We need to keep the USA at bay who are starting wars everywhere and forces other countries to boycott everybody they please.

USA bad doesn't make Iran good.

2 hours ago, alanrchase said:

So next time someone anywhere in the world is killed by weapons manufactured by the USA we can blame the US government?

If you could prove that someone was carrying out an operation on behalf of the USA, you might have a point.

3 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Of course Iran is behind the attack. Who else has a position in the strait? It's pretty obvious.

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Who else could have done it in the Strait? Let's stop being stupid.

Saudi Arabia, UAE and USA are all present and capable.

4 hours ago, katana said:

The US surveillance video claiming to prove Iranian responsibility showed the unexploded limpet mine being removed from several feet above the ship's water line. Seems a strange place to put it if you were intending to sink the ship.

".... it if you were intending to sink the ship."

I don't think whomever planted the mind intended to sink the ship. More like damage it enough to hype the crisis.

36 minutes ago, Morch said:

And Iran's government doesn't have political ambitions that require spinning of stories?

Shame you did not or could not read my post correctly;  Within that post of mine, and I quote "I think that any government",  so what is it you do not understand about "any government" ?

Think1.gif

4 hours ago, beechguy said:

May have been at a different water level when it was planted, quite a difference between an empty and loaded ship.

Japan’s trade ministry said the two oil tankers carried “Japan-related” cargo.

Front Altair was carrying 75,000 tonnes of naphtha, a petrochemical feedstock.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/13/oil-tankers-blasts-reports-gulf-of-oman-us-navy

Ships were not empty.

9 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Shame you did not or could not read my post correctly;  Within that post of mine, and I quote "I think that any government",  so what is it you do not understand about "any government" ?

Think1.gif

I could be wrong, but my impression is that most of your posts are more to do with supposed USA deceit and lies, both on this issue and others.

1 minute ago, Morch said:

I could be wrong, but my impression is that most of your posts are more to do with supposed USA deceit and lies, both on this issue and others.

Then clearly you are truly lacking comprehension of any of posts, assuming you read them all  that is. As I said and I shall repeat again specifically for your further clarity,  any government will spin a story to suit their political  intentions.

It is just unfortunate that where the middle East is concerned the US, like the UK have a history of promoting untruths in order to justify their political ends.  Remember Iraq having WMD that never existed ?

31 minutes ago, Morch said:

Saudi Arabia, UAE and USA are all present and capable.

That great line from The Usual Suspects about being able to identifying a guilty part after the crime by the way they conduct themselves in the jail cell. 

The US came out almost immediately after the attacks and publicly claimed it was Iran. 

That right there is the jail cell tell. Things do not get more obvious than this. They did it, or they coerced/contracted someone else to do it. 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There was a time when people believed officials from the USA. Now when anybody of them, but especially when the president of the most powerful nation of this word, opens his mouth it's BS BS or BS and maybe once in a while the truth. And soon he will say it's all fake news.

What happened to this word? When I was young somehow I thought things would get better over time ...

Trump has never had a word he would stand by, to many contracts ignored over the years to many people and companies shafted. No one with a brain would believe this man his word and his signature mean nothing.

The middle East have been fighting together ever since they could pick up a stone & throw it.

It's like getting involved in a domestic dispute.

Along came the USA and poked it's nose in, so they all turn on USA or pretend to be allies while funding goes on in secret.

It's about oil, Started with Kuwait and is still going on, and will until every last drop is gone.

The threat of nuclear bombs is just a smokescreen to get Iran out of the picture by crippling it's economy.

3 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Then clearly you are truly lacking comprehension of any of posts, assuming you read them all  that is. As I said and I shall repeat again specifically for your further clarity,  any government will spin a story to suit their political  intentions.

It is just unfortunate that where the middle East is concerned the US, like the UK have a history of promoting untruths in order to justify their political ends.  Remember Iraq having WMD that never existed ?

I checked anyway, and I stand by my comment. Not only have I read you posts, but responded to them as well. You can repeat whatever you like, I still find it odd to list specific countries while omitting Iran, it a topic referencing possible subterfuge by Iran. As on other topic you claim to be familiar with the region, it seems all the more curious that you insist on relating that the USA and the UK "have a history" - as Iran doesn't.

Here's a short selection from your posts on recent related topics. Quite a bit of negativity with regard to the USA, and embracing counter-narratives. Not that much criticism on offer when it comes to Iran or other rivals. But by all means, do go for that "balanced" image you were shooting for.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1101911-trump-us-will-respond-with-great-force-if-iran-attacks-interests/?tab=comments#comment-14164267

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1101911-trump-us-will-respond-with-great-force-if-iran-attacks-interests/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-14164928

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1101000-saudi-arabia-accuses-iran-of-ordering-drone-attack-on-oil-pipeline/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-14149598

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1101683-trump-saudi-arabia-warn-iran-against-middle-east-conflict/?tab=comments#comment-14159194

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1107326-us-navy-says-mine-fragments-suggest-iran-behind-gulf-tanker-attack/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-14262144 

3 hours ago, meand said:

That great line from The Usual Suspects about being able to identifying a guilty part after the crime by the way they conduct themselves in the jail cell. 

The US came out almost immediately after the attacks and publicly claimed it was Iran. 

That right there is the jail cell tell. Things do not get more obvious than this. They did it, or they coerced/contracted someone else to do it. 

If you say so, it must be true.

:coffee1:

Archived