Woman in hospital after metal rod pierces windscreen of Mercedes Benz

webfact

Woman in hospital after metal rod pierces windscreen of Mercedes Benz

3pm.jpg

Caption: Metal rod goes into Benz

A Bangkok man said that as he was driving his C220 Mercedes Benz along the Asia Highway in Ang Thong a metal rod came loose from a truck trailer in front and pierced the windscreen on the passenger side. 

Montree, 59, caught up with the truck and forced it to stop.

His passenger Karuna, 38, was hit in the chest and taken to hospital where she was kept in under observation.

The incident happened as the two vehicles were coming down a bridge near a Honda dealership at KM marker 52 in Muang district of Ang Thong, central Thailand. 

Police found the 1.5 meter long, one and a half inch rod embedded in the windscreen.

Further down the road two other similar rods were found on the road surface. 

The police noticed other rods that were unsecured on the right side of the truck trailer. Danaisak, 32, said he was driving the trailer to Uthai Thani. 

3pm1.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Both drivers went to the police station to discuss the matter. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-20

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Lucky woman, but the golden rule is that you need to keep your distance from trucks no matter what cargo they are carrying. Always expect the unexpected. 

The last sentence is my mantra when driving here. Even on empty roads ????

8 hours ago, Subwoofer Loudspeaker said:

Both not aware for unexpected incident. Always far from truck at least 20 meters away. 

Agree, but I was in a similar situation years ago, the truck lost a dozen metal rods and missed me narrowly. And nothing I could do to keep distance, I was on a scooter and he was driving as a maniac passing me when the rods fell off. He got out, nothing had happened, he smiled and proceeed to collect the rods and put them on the truck as unsecured as before. mai pen rai.

Unlikely the car was following closely. What usually happens in these cases is the metal bounces off the road and ricochets up into the air and there's no reaction time to get out of the way. This happened in the US where a truck lost a piece of loose rebar, it bounced off the ground, went through the windshield of the car behind, speared the driver through the head pinning his head to his seat. Amazingly he survived. This one was also a very close call.

17 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

If that rod is half-inch diameter that Benz is really small.....

Read the article again, you will see the police state the rod as being "one and half inches in diameter".

Archived