10 Year Tourist Visa to India

I just got a 10 year tourist visa to India valid until 2029, multiple entry. No financial requirements. No reporting within 180 days. But I can only stay for 180 days, on each entry.  I hear India is even cheaper than Thailand.

Anyone have any recommendation on where to stay, with cheap food and accommodation, safe, beach, friendly women?

53 minutes ago, DonDoRondo said:

My 10 tourist Indian Tourist Visa expired a couple of months ago.  

I went X 4 and decided that was enough for me.  I believe the 10 visa is not available for everyone. 

I'm from the USA and seem to remember that the India government gave US citizens the 10 years

in the hopes that the US would reciprocate and  give more work visas to Indian tech people.  

If you're expecting anything like Thailand you may be disappointed IMO.  Goa is easy for the 1st timer.

Mumbai is insane.  Love the food.

Goa is big place. Which beach or town do you recommend for a first timer?

8 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Goa is big place. Which beach or town do you recommend for a first timer?

Anjuna beach area, curlys beach house always has good goa and techno parties

I went to Mumbai, Delhi and Goa/Anjuna and Goa is really the only thing i can recommend, Mumbai is ok for 2-3 days if you want to experience and extreme culture shock i guess.

I can recommend the Slum Tours if you want to learn a bit: https://www.tripsavvy.com/mumbai-dharavi-slum-tours-4072927

But as already said - india is a once done never again experience for me

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I went to Mumbai, Delhi and Goa/Anjuna and Goa is really the only thing i can recommend, Mumbai is ok for 2-3 days if you want to experience and extreme culture shock i guess.

I can recommend the Slum Tours if you want to learn a bit: https://www.tripsavvy.com/mumbai-dharavi-slum-tours-4072927

Do both beaches have friendly ladies?

Why only once? Food, people, weather, ladies?

19 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Do both beaches have friendly ladies?

Why only once? Food, people, weather, ladies?

Mumbai and Delhi are absolutely disgusting and dirty and everyone will touch you, make photos with you or try to sell you shit.

Usual to eat somewhere while rats are running over your table. Hard to not walk into human shit or burning plastic. I had to throw all my clothes away after going there.

It's extremely unsafe, our luggage nearly got stolen twice by cab/riksha drivers, you can really only use Uber.

It's super hard to get a SimCard even in india.

Goa is like a cheaper, more shitty version of Thailand, has some nice beaches tho but nothing spectacular.

Cops are extremely corrupt, worse than Thailand.

Out of us 3, 2 including me nearly died on salmonella poisoning in Goa, and hospitals don't really exist there...

I would go as far and say that cambodia and laos are high end luxury resort destinations compared to india.

If i had to chose between fighting the Burmese rebels in the jungle a la Rambo or go back on a holiday to Mumbai i would chose the first.

And to answer your question about girls, absolutely no such thing except of course foreigners partying there. Indians themselves go swimming in full gear long clothes a la arab countries...

Just to balance the scales slightly I love India but there's no question you have to plan in order to get the best out of your trip.

As for recommendation of places to visit it depends on what time of year you are travelling. It makes no sense to head for the Himalayas in the middle of winter and equally taking a beach break during the monsoon.

Only US gets 10 year visas. As a Brit I did get a 5 year visa once from Chiang Mai but these days e visas are good for 1 year and multiple entry and sufficient for vast majority of visitors. Brits/US/Canada/Japan get 180 days/entry while others are limited to 90.

3 hours ago, DonDoRondo said:

I went X 4 and decided that was enough for me.  I believe the 10 visa is not available for everyone. 

I'm from the USA and seem to remember that the India government gave US citizens the 10 years

in the hopes that the US would reciprocate and  give more work visas to Indian tech people.  

If you're expecting anything like Thailand you may be disappointed IMO.  Goa is easy for the 1st timer.

I was just thinking myself....why would anybody want a 10 year Visa for India?

35 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I was just thinking myself....why would anybody want a 10 year Visa for India?

I was thinking the same thing - sounds great if you didn't have to be in India... but even having to leave every 180 days does not work that well... 

While Thai hoteliers, restaurant owners and tour operators are wondering, if the bureaucracy, ransacking and over-complicating the entire visa process is one of the reason, that tourism of quality tourists is literally dead.

Long-term stayers and retirees are screwed with TM30 forms which some landlords simply refuse to comply with as "too stupid", the 90 days rubbish serves also only the inferiority complex of the official Khon Thai ........

Thailand passed its peak long time ago and is in free fall downhill after the Russians, Chinese, Malays and now the Southasians ....... go figure!

There are lots of places to visit, and easier to skip the tourist traps that people have been talking about. A big warning: if you’re looking for friendly women India is the wrong place to go. Goa: Beaches, Partying, Seafood and Cheap Liquour. Avoid the monsoons and prime season. Try anytime between Aug-Sep

Kerala: not so cheap destination, with a lot of premium properties. Beaches, Backwaters, Good Food, mountains as well. Places to go: Kovala, Varkala, Kochi, Alleppey, Kumarakom, Wayanad and Munnar. 

Rajasthan: If you’re game for deserts and palaces. Udaipur & Jaipur 

Uttaranchal & Himachal: if you’re looking for hills and yoga retreats. 

If you try to live dirt cheap you’d definitely get places to eat with rats around your legs, but if you’re willing to spend a little more than what someone who earns the lowest income in India spends you’ll get neat and clean food. Avoid Mumbai unless you’ve work there

India is a huge and fascinating country with all sorts of climates and all sorts of different places to visit. Reading behind the lines, if you are looking for friendly ladies there are millions of them but not the type your'e looking for unless you go to the brothels of Mumbai etc. Not really the place for sex tourism . On the plus side it can be equally as cheap as Thailand with great food and inexpensive rents. public transport is dirt cheap too but te roads even more manic than Thailand. Goa was ok thirty years ago but now you might as well go to Benidorm  - it's full of package tour hotels filled up with Brits on hols. The softer and much easier option is go to Sri Lankas south west coast which is as safe as houses and the people are lovely, the beaches twenty times better than most of Asia, good food, cheap rents, friendly ladies of the type your'e looking for but if you want a long term relationship that's another thing. Recent terrorist attacks would make you even more welcome than before and as a single man chances of you being in danger are about the same as walking down walking street off season!

5 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I commend you for posting the link on the tours.    That's a very positive thing to do.

I lived in India for two years.  I am well travelled so approached it in the right spirit.  After six months there I loathed the place.  That said there are a number of worthwhile tourist destinations such as Rajasthan (Udaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmur, Jaipur) and Kerala etc.  Goa was a big disappointment after the beach resorts of Southeast Asia.  India is not cheap, the nightlife is complete crap and better bring your own girls from Thailand as you are not going to find much going on in India that you would be interested in.   Also, if you are going to make the trip I highly recommend Sri Lanka.  It’s got some great places to see, nice/fun people and reasonable prices.

I was very pleasantly surprised last week to get a one-year multiple entry visa online with payment and everything done within about 15 minutes, because I remember the days not so long ago of having to visit the "High Commission" and spend the whole day for any type of visa!

I'm Canadian, but it is available to a lot of nationalities online.

7 hours ago, DonDoRondo said:

But take a suitcase of diarrhea medicines. 

6 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Just to balance the scales slightly I love India but there's no question you have to plan in order to get the best out of your trip.

As for recommendation of places to visit it depends on what time of year you are travelling. It makes no sense to head for the Himalayas in the middle of winter and equally taking a beach break during the monsoon.

Only US gets 10 year visas. As a Brit I did get a 5 year visa once from Chiang Mai but these days e visas are good for 1 year and multiple entry and sufficient for vast majority of visitors. Brits/US/Canada/Japan get 180 days/entry while others are limited to 90.

Canadians can now get 5 and 10 year visas.

I would definately bet on the south Chennai or Goa...and some of those hotties there........However, Mumbai has some of the world's most beautiful gals...but also caters to some of the world's richest people who are indians....Mumbai is full jet set but definately not a place for a broke who can arrive and boss people around I guess....many great restaurants in India, but for quality expect to shell out at least US$ 100,-- a meal.  Of course if one is broke, one could eat at a junk pit for less then US$1,-- but then even the middle class locals do not go to such places that are only for totally miserable indians or miserable broke farangs. If you have enough money, Bombay...sorry Mumbai definately over New Delhi.

9 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Mumbai and Delhi are absolutely disgusting and dirty and everyone will touch you, make photos with you or try to sell you shit.

Usual to eat somewhere while rats are running over your table. Hard to not walk into human shit or burning plastic. I had to throw all my clothes away after going there.

It's extremely unsafe, our luggage nearly got stolen twice by cab/riksha drivers, you can really only use Uber.

It's super hard to get a SimCard even in india.

Goa is like a cheaper, more shitty version of Thailand, has some nice beaches tho but nothing spectacular.

Cops are extremely corrupt, worse than Thailand.

Out of us 3, 2 including me nearly died on salmonella poisoning in Goa, and hospitals don't really exist there...

I would go as far and say that cambodia and laos are high end luxury resort destinations compared to india.

If i had to chose between fighting the Burmese rebels in the jungle a la Rambo or go back on a holiday to Mumbai i would chose the first.

And to answer your question about girls, absolutely no such thing except of course foreigners partying there. Indians themselves go swimming in full gear long clothes a la arab countries...

Nice report ! if people could talk as clearly as you life would be easier !

40 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I would definately bet on the south Chennai or Goa...and some of those hotties there........However, Mumbai has some of the world's most beautiful gals...but also caters to some of the world's richest people who are indians....Mumbai is full jet set but definately not a place for a broke who can arrive and boss people around I guess....many great restaurants in India, but for quality expect to shell out at least US$ 100,-- a meal.  Of course if one is broke, one could eat at a junk pit for less then US$1,-- but then even the middle class locals do not go to such places that are only for totally miserable indians or miserable broke farangs. If you have enough money, Bombay...sorry Mumbai definately over New Delhi.

The most expensive building in mumbai is next to a slum, pure jet set indeed.

the best rated hotel costs like 6k baht per night, i think everyone here has enough money for that, maybe we should make a ThaiVisa jetset tour to mumbai ????

https://observers.france24.com/en/20180720-video-mumbai-ocean-rubbish-trash or better some nice beachfront hotel? up to you guys

11 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I wholeheartedly agree. While that visa in itself is certainly great, nothing and nobody could convince me to spend more time there.

12 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Lived/worked in India for 3 yrs.

Have no desire ever to return to this country ever again.

Can I just remind members what the OP is asking?

"Anyone have any recommendation on where to stay, with cheap food and accommodation, safe, beach, friendly women?"

Some members have no wish to return, and that's their choice, but it doesn't really answer the OP's question.

Archived