Non O (Multi Entry) no longer issued at Royal Thai Embassy in London - new financial requirements for Single Entry Tourist Visas (SETV)

If you've been married for several years you sometime have to get an updated document from the Amphur to prove you're still married. The original on ita own is sometimes not enough. (when applying for an extension based on marriage for example)

For what,when you got married overseas?you cannot simple declare divorce as in Thailand?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, somtumwrong said:

In my country in the Schengen area, once you marry your family is protected. My embassy wanted 1234 things to be verified before giving Thai gf a short visa. After being with her for multiple years and then marrying, she gets no questions asked, does not need to pay any visa fee as she is married, and gets a multiple year visa without questions asked. She can move to my country by just going with me to the police station and saying she stays here with me.

If you are married in Thailand for 1,5,10 or 15 years, you still have to play their little timewasting immigration game. I think our system is much more friendly, don't you?

i do!

by the way which is your country?

21 minutes ago, thaibry said:

But...... I don't want an extension, I don't want to live permanently in Thailand. I want to visit here infrequently for up to 90 days during the western winter and be able to travel to other SE Asian countries as side trips. An multi entry 'O' based on receipt of State Pension was perfect and as yet I can't see an alternative.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

Tourist visa's for you then.

The subject is Non Imm O multi entry visas.

A non o VISA  is for a person to visit family and people over 65 as an entry into Thailand and the correct visa to convert into a one year extension.

Although issued to most people of any age in the past (whether they actually qualified or not) it was never designed to be used as a type of longer term tourist visa.

Edited by sumrit

9 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

reading between the lines and from what i've picked up from other sources/threads i'd say non-o me's of all types will eventually be phased out so immigration can move all long stayers to extensions plus re-entry permits.

That's what Immigration has been saying for a long, long time.

Everybody is welcome.........so long as you obtain and use the correct visa/extension 

My wife has been many times over the last 25 years.

Off the top of my head but there are many more.

• Initial visa cost
  • proof of relationship
  • detailed information about the sponsor
  • Proof of adequate funds to live on
  • proof of address
  • not allowed to work
  • itinery for the holiday (sometimes)
  • medical care costs

Depends on the country and type of visa (I.e. visit, holiday or business)

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/20/2019 at 11:06 AM, khwaibah said:

That throws the pork to a few.????

Certainly does .especially that the standard 10 year which UK passport only have 25 pages to stamp a visa on one page. I only go to Counties where  you just have an entry and departure stamp.

Edited by Percy P

27 minutes ago, sumrit said:

My wife has been many times over the last 25 years.

Off the top of my head but there are many more.

• Initial visa cost
  • proof of relationship
  • detailed information about the sponsor
  • Proof of adequate funds to live on
  • proof of address
  • not allowed to work
  • itinery for the holiday (sometimes)
  • medical care costs

The majority of those conditions apply in Thailand but once you have the Visa you don’t have jump through hoops and visit Immigration.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sumrit said:

That's what Immigration has been saying for a long, long time.

Everybody is welcome.........so long as you obtain and use the correct visa/extension 

If they did away with all types of the NON O altogether, how would people extend based on marriage? as you need a NON O( se or me) in the first place,,,,,,,its very easy to stay here on an ME NON O, and many options to keep staying here on one, its just a question of knowing where to go.

Joe

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 11:06 AM, khwaibah said:

That throws the pork to a few.????

Especially where the standard UK 10 year passport only had 25 pages for a Visa stamp . Entry stamp no problem.I only visit countries where a you just get an entry stamp. Bali is one and I'll be their in January 2020..  Cambodia 30 US. 

Edited by Percy P
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Tourist visa's for you then.

A non o VISA  is for a person to visit family and people over 65 as an entry into Thailand and the correct visa to convert into a one year extension.

Although issued to most people of any age in the past (whether they actually qualified or not) it was never designed to be used as a type of longer term tourist visa.

Correct.

Correct.
It was, and still is a 'O' visa based on receipt of State Pension for the purpose of visiting Thailand for up to 90 days.

The difference is that it is that it can no longer be used for multiple entries.

Please read carefully before making incorrect posts.

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

Where did you see that? I never heard of a visa rules with a "65 yo" criteria ??

And no mention on that on the Non-O page of the new website https://www.thaievisa.go.th/Home/Family

Edited by Pattaya46

Why are some people comparing getting Thai visas with getting UK or Schengen visas, I don't understand?

Is Thailand on par with the UK or EU when it comes to wages, education, corruption, human rights, benefits, citizenship options, etc?

We should compare less developed economies such as Thailand with other less developed economies, like some South American countries and the "massive hurdle" of staying there for years, or closer in the region Malaysia etc.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Good luck with that. I've never emailed the London Embassy but when you phone 'em it just rings and rings and no one answers.

It does seem to be based on luck - in the past I've phoned and waited and waited, then all of a sudden they've answered. They DO usually reply to emails eventually, however the replies aren't always very comprehensive!  Pot luck, I'm afraid.

Edited by VBF

35 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:
1 hour ago, sumrit said:

Where did you see that? I never heard of a visa rules with a "65 yo" criteria ??

And no mention on that on the Non-O page of the new website https://www.thaievisa.go.th/Home/Family

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

I put 65 because that was when we all used to get our state pension. Obviously since the state retirement age now increases so will the qualifying age for a non O visa.????

visa options thai embassy london.pdf

Edited by sumrit

11 minutes ago, VBF said:

It does seem to be based on luck - in the past I've phoned and waited and waited, then all of a sudden they've answered. They DO usually reply to emails eventually, however the replies aren't always very comprehensive!  Pot luck, I'm afraid.

I emailed the London embassy two or three times back in April, each time I got a reply in under 24 hours. However they weren't busy at that time, and when I went in it was so quiet they didn't even bother with queue tickets. The staff were excellent and happy to accept my rather dubious looking bank statement (the bank's fault for not providing something more professional looking). When I asked the girl about the upcoming e-visa system, which at the time was slated for mid may, she rolled her eyes - I got the distinct impression she wasn't looking forward to it. The official comment "let's see how it goes" on the embassy website might have more than a touch of irony in it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibry said:

It was, and still is a 'O' visa based on receipt of State Pension for the purpose of visiting Thailand for up to 90 days.

The difference is that it is that it can no longer be used for multiple entries.

Please read carefully before making incorrect posts.

That's right. If you want long term and multiple entries you use the non O to get a one year extension and a multi re-entry permit.  

9 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I emailed the London embassy two or three times back in April, each time I got a reply in under 24 hours. However they weren't busy at that time, and when I went in it was so quiet they didn't even bother with queue tickets. The staff were excellent and happy to accept my rather dubious looking bank statement (the bank's fault for not providing something more professional looking). When I asked the girl about the upcoming e-visa system, which at the time was slated for mid may, she rolled her eyes - I got the distinct impression she wasn't looking forward to it. The official comment "let's see how it goes" on the embassy website might have more than a touch of irony in it. 

To be fair, I haven't actually had occasion to phone/email the embassy since 2017 so things may well have changed.

That's what I meant by "pot luck" - your post very interesting  inasmuch as I feel that after the initial problems, we may well see some changes - at least i hope so!

I'm lucky in that I don't need to deal with any of this for a couple of months - I have some time to "see how it goes"

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, yogi100 said:

...In my passport under category is says 'O'...

This means that you have a non-immigrant visa category O.

non-O visa name.jpg

It is the visa that on the website of the Thai embassy in London is referred to as Non-Immigrant Type O

Source: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#6

48 minutes ago, Okis said:

That sum will probally be higher in the future

hard to see it rising much higher otherwise the monthly requirement would need to rise as well and lets face it its already at the upper end of even the western scale for pensions unless you are a gov worker, doctor, etc

3 hours ago, sumrit said:

OR transfer enough money into Thailand each month to pay for adequate living expenses. 40k baht pm for the example we're talking about who's married

I believe they want the original at Savanakhette for example. 

That was not really the point anyhow. I was just saying they could have done that at that consulate for any number of reasons (reasons that other consulates may not have). 

First they say, "Let's crack down on tourists. Let's get rid of the bad ones."

Then they say, "Where are all the tourists? The law was only meant to stop a few bad guys. Where has our tourist income gone?!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

That's right. If you want long term and multiple entries you use the non O to get a one year extension and a multi re-entry permit.  

How and where do you get the one year extension and a multi re-entry permit. In London or at the LOS IO?

8 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

How and where do you get the one year extension and a multi re-entry permit. In London or at the LOS IO?

You get them here here by applying at a immigration office.

First you get a one year extension by showing 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Then you would apply for a re-entry permit to keep the extension valid if you want to travel. A single is 1000 baht and a multiple is 3800 baht.