Non O (Multi Entry) no longer issued at Royal Thai Embassy in London - new financial requirements for Single Entry Tourist Visas (SETV)

3 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Can it be in a U.K. Bank Account, the sterling equivalent of 800k Baht ?

Yes.

Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

26 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes.

Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

This suggests no seasoning on the £20000, I wonder if they forgot to mention it, or if it's no longer required? Prior to the e-visa starting they wanted statement(s) showing that this money had been in the account for at least three months. This was actually a new condition introduced by London in 2018, before which they always accepted a single statement with no need for seasoning of the money. 

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He can apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days or 45 days at some offices of any of the 90 day entries from his visa. To overcome the the wait for 60 days after entering the country he could get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 day entry he would get just before his visa expires leave the country for work and return using the re-entry permit.

There will be a under consideration period with a report back date on it that will be 30 days from the date he applies or from the day his permit to stay ends dependent upon where he applies.

OK, I think I understand that however, I have just spoken to the Thai Consul in Hull who told me another way of solving this problem which sounds unbelievable. What he said was that someone in my friend's position can obtain a single entry Non O based on marriage, enter Thailand for say 28 days (my mate's rotation is 60 days work/28 days off) and as he leaves obtain a re-entry permit which would give him another 90 days and keep on doing that. I don't know why but I have always thought that re-entry permits only allow another entry during the original 90 days but still expire 90 days after the original entry. What the Consul told me is that they in effect extend the period of the visa beyond its expiry date - although he didn't know when the re-entry period ceased. He also said that although mt friend could continue getting re-entry stamps, there may come a time where he is told - enough, get a new visa.

This sounds incredulous to me but if true, it would negate the need for a complicated application for an extension every year.  Can anyone confirm this?

20 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

This sounds incredulous to me but if true, it would negate the need for a complicated application for an extension every year.  Can anyone confirm this?

A re-entry permit is only valid to the date the permit to stay it is issued for ends. For a 90 day entry it would end when it does.

What you were told and wrote about is certainly not correct.

With his rotation getting a re-entry permit for one of his 90 day entries would not work since it would only be valid for a couple of days when he arrives and he would only be stamped in for 2 days.

It seems you fiends best option for now is to get a new multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet, Ho Chi Minh City or Penang (400k baht ina bank is needed there).

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

OK, I think I understand that however, I have just spoken to the Thai Consul in Hull who told me another way of solving this problem which sounds unbelievable. What he said was that someone in my friend's position can obtain a single entry Non O based on marriage, enter Thailand for say 28 days (my mate's rotation is 60 days work/28 days off) and as he leaves obtain a re-entry permit which would give him another 90 days and keep on doing that. I don't know why but I have always thought that re-entry permits only allow another entry during the original 90 days but still expire 90 days after the original entry. What the Consul told me is that they in effect extend the period of the visa beyond its expiry date - although he didn't know when the re-entry period ceased. He also said that although mt friend could continue getting re-entry stamps, there may come a time where he is told - enough, get a new visa.

As  usual, you are very unwise to believe anything a consular official tells you about anything other than the services they provide themselves. Their advice is (as here) more often wrong than correct. A reentry permit does not entitle you to another 90-day permission to stay.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A re-entry permit is only valid to the date the permit to stay it is issued for ends. For a 90 day entry it would end when it does.

What you were told and wrote about is certainly not correct.

With his rotation getting a re-entry permit for one of his 90 day entries would not work since it would only be valid for a couple of days when he arrives and he would only be stamped in for 2 days.

It seems you fiends best option for now is to get a new multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet, Ho Chi Minh City or Penang (400k baht ina bank is needed there).

As I said - incredulous but I did go over it with him several times.  I thought I might at least get some correct answers from a UK source - it seems not.

My friend is already on a Multi Non O from Savannakhet - what we are trying to establish is what happens when his current visa expires if the new E visa system is introduced everywhere with no multi entry visas. It appears that the powers that be have failed to take account of people in my friends position and I suspect there are thousands like him.

Incidentally, I have also spoken to the Thai Embassy in London who told me my friend would have to fly from Iraq to London, obtain a single entry Non O and then fly to Thailand - every time his visa expires.  Seems they don't realise that for now - single entry's are available elsewhere.

If I get married again before I move to Thailand I am going to be in exactly the same position although I'm in England so unlike my mate, it is not difficult for me to apply for a single entry Non O - just more expensive.

A further question - as I understand it, a Non O based on marriage can be extended by 60 days rather than the usual 30 - in effect giving a stay of 150 days. If extended, can a re-entry permit be obtained and used during the extension period?

Is there any specific point during the original 90 day stay at which the extension can be applied for?

Edited by KhaoYai

7 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

A further question - as I understand it, a Non O based on marriage can be extended by 60 days rather than the usual 30 - in effect giving a stay of 150 days. If extended, can a re-entry permit be obtained and used during the extension period?

Is there any specific point during the original 90 day stay at which the extension can be applied for?

Yes, once an extension has been granted, you can get a re-entry permit to protect your new permission to stay. The 60-day extension can be applied for during the last 30 days (45 days at some offices) of your initial 90-day permission to stay.

• Thanks 1

Can someone confirm what it states about obtaining an METV with no proof of financial income from Ho Chi Min, Savannakhet and Laos?
Seems too good to be true whilst all these clamp downs are going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

46 minutes ago, lunos99 said:

Can someone confirm what it states about obtaining an METV with no proof of financial income from Ho Chi Min, Savannakhet and Laos?
Seems too good to be true whilst all these clamp downs are going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I don't think it is stated anywhere - its just advice about what is currently being asked for when you apply. The official version does require proof of income.

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

The official version does require proof of income.

No financial proof is shown on their website for the non-o.

Ho Chi Minh City is here: http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/2886/46902-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"---Accompanying-Th.html

Savannakhet is in Thai: http://www.thaisavannakhet.com/savannakhet/th/consulate-service/inspect/

I'm currently in the UK and trying to work my way through the Immigration minefield...I'm 60 years old and retired - I know that I can apply on line for a Non-Imm O-A visa which if used correctly will give me 2 years stay following which I can apply for retirement extensions using the 800000 or 65000 baht methods. I was also considering using a 60 day visa issued by a Thai Consulate in the UK and extending this by a further 30 days at Jomtien Immigration following which using one of the extension methods as above. However I was also wondering if the consulate at Savannakhet issues multi-entry Non-O visas to retirees?  I believe it does if married but not sure if it does for retirees. If it does I could consider applying for this as it would in effect provide me with 15 months before going down the retirement extension route.

Advice is welcomed

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

For a OA visa the online application website states this.

"3. Financial evidence : a guarantee letter from the bank and a copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 THB or an income certificate with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB or a deposit account plus a monthly income in total not less than 80,000 THB" 

Source: https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/LongStay

TOL...Deposit account + monthly income combination in the text above got my attention.

So in theory I could make my pension payments to my bank in the UK £1501/month, by adjusting the flexible component (which I'll probably need anyway for repeated non-O SE applications from next year), and I would only need to show about £2600 in a deposit account ( could be my FCD £) and would qualify for the financial aspect of the O-A?

[But would the London Embassy be able to confirm if three legit sources, paying into an account would be considered to be "income certification"]

Would they let me use the O-A like an unavailable non-O ME to visit the wife and son, for trips less than 90 days, or are they by design trying to make that awkward, I ponder. 

Then I remembered the pending health insurance issue......

Oh well, back to just doing lots of non-O SE applications from next spring onwards.

26 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

Oh well, back to just doing lots of non-O SE applications from next spring onwards.

You would be misusing that visa as far as they are concerned. Non O for over 50 is designed for people over 50 wishing to travel to Thailand for a period not exceeding 90 days.

The multiple one was meant for multiple travels to Thailand for people over 50, each travel not exceeding 90 days. Not for 1 year / 15 months with a 1 day visa run every 90 days.

For stays longer than 90 days, non O-A or extensions of stay are available.

That's the current trend.

Edited by lkv

1 hour ago, Chris657 said:

However I was also wondering if the consulate at Savannakhet issues multi-entry Non-O visas to retirees?

No multiple Non O for retirees at Savannakhet or anywhere else in the region.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lkv said:

The multiple one was meant for multiple travels to Thailand for people over 50, each travel not exceeding 90 days. Not for 1 year / 15 months with a 1 day visa run every 90 days.

Certainly not disputing that, I've done a 34 day, and an 11 day, Visa run since I got my current ME in February, the next visa run is 43 days duration I think ????. Though the last one might be just a week, to stretch the ME, where normally I would be back getting a new one....

2 hours ago, lkv said:

You would be misusing that visa as far as they are concerned.

I don't see how. He states:

2 hours ago, UKresonant said:

As far as I'm aware visiting a Thai wife using a Non O (note he does not state O-A) is using the correct visa. In the past I have actually been specifically told to obtain a Non O to visit a Thai wife.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I don't see how. He states:

As far as I'm aware visiting a Thai wife using a Non O (note he does not state O-A) is using the correct visa. In the past I have actually been specifically told to obtain a Non O to visit a Thai wife.

Just like serial SETV users are being grilled, and told to use "the correct visa for the purpose of their visit", on the same logic, they could argue that by using several single entry non O visas in a row, he is circumventing the system, and does not visit Thailand for whatever reason (wife or as a foreign pensioneer), but lives here, in which case he should be on an extension of stay or a visa that gives him a longer permission of stay, such as a non O-A.

This is exactly why they are taking out the multiple O's from the London embassy. They want people to extend in-country or use non O-A. I don't feel that repeated usage of single non O's will please Immigration much in the future, unless he spends more time outside than inside perhaps.

I was also told years ago that the correct way to stay in Thailand long is to use tourist visas and do visa runs. Now I'm being told otherwise.

What was valid 5 years ago does not apply today, the trend, as everybody can see, is to tighten and tighten.

Edited by lkv

4 hours ago, lkv said:

I was also told years ago that the correct way to stay in Thailand long is to use tourist visas and do visa runs. Now I'm being told otherwise.

Yes but I was told by an Immigration officer as I entered at Suvarnabhumi.

4 hours ago, lkv said:

they could argue that by using several single entry non O visas in a row, he is circumventing the system, and does not visit Thailand for whatever reason (wife or as a foreign pensioneer), but lives here,

That would depend on the length of his visits. If it is clear that he is actually living in Thailand then yes, in the current climate I can see a situation coming where someone might be told they've had too many SE Non O's.

I am no longer married but still have my property here and intend moving permanently next year. I visit every 8 weeks for 2 weeks on an METV and still worry that one day I might be refused.  Last week I asked the question to an I.O. as I was leaving. He took a look at my entry stamps which clearly show that I'm out of the country for 8 weeks and assured me I would be fine - even though my METV's are almost back to back.

Back to the OP - I'm not so sure they thought this through. There are 2 possibilities. 1. They want to stop people living in Thailand on ME Non O's and don't care about the genuine ones who do visit regularly for short periods or 2. They simply failed to take account of the genuine guys.  Rather than be negative, I'm going with 2 at the moment and hoping they put it right.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Back to the OP - I'm not so sure they thought this through.

I believe they have thought this through.

They're not trying to stop the genuine guys who regularly visit their Thai wives. If they can afford the regular trips, they shouldn't have an issue putting 400K in a Thai bank and getting an extension + ME re-entry permit.

It's to push the guys who live here full time without any proof of finances, proof of marriage, no requirement to report to their local Immigration offices, into obtaining extensions where they will then have to prove the above. 'Good guys in, bad guys out' motto, is still a work in progress.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

They're not trying to stop the genuine guys who regularly visit their Thai wives. If they can afford the regular trips, they shouldn't have an issue putting 400K in a Thai bank and getting an extension + ME re-entry permit.

It's to push the guys who live here full time without any proof of finances, proof of marriage, no requirement to report to their local Immigration offices, into obtaining extensions where they will then have to prove the above. 'Good guys in, bad guys out' motto, is still a work in progress.

Unfortunately it’s ‘punishing’ the people are in receipt of their U.K. State Pension who in the past could have a Non O Multi Entry Visa.

There was a requirement for TM30/28 reporting for this type of Visa and you could only stay 90 Days at any one time therefore Immigration knew where you were.

3 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Unfortunately it’s ‘punishing’ the people are in receipt of their U.K. State Pension who in the past could have a Non O Multi Entry Visa.

That gave them 1 year, they then either obtained extensions, or returned to the UK for another Visa.

4 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

There was a requirement for TM30/28 reporting for this type of Visa and you could only stay 90 Days at any one time therefore Immigration knew where you were.

They don't necessarily know where you are.

If you don't file a TM30 they don't come looking for you and if you don't have to visit an Immigration, then most are advised even on this forum, not to bother.

TM6. You think if someone doesn't want to be found, they'll put the correct address on it.

10 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That gave them 1 year, they then either obtained extensions, or returned to the UK for another Visa.

They don't necessarily know where you are.

If you don't file a TM30 they don't come looking for you and if you don't have to visit an Immigration, then most are advised even on this forum, not to bother.

TM6. You think if someone doesn't want to be found, they'll put the correct address on it.

Unfortunately contrary too some people on the Forum not everyone has £800k they can afford to tie up in a Thai Bank Account more or less forever now apart for a few months.

Agreed on the reporting but why take the chance, they told me I had too report on my Multi Entry Non O. I was once ‘detained’ upstairs at Jomtien for over 2 hours, threatened with a 3500 baht fine for not reporting a change of address. They did eventually let me go with no fine imposed, I would not want to go though that again.

29 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Unfortunately contrary too some people on the Forum not everyone has £800k they can afford to tie up in a Thai Bank Account more or less forever now apart for a few months.

Agreed on the reporting but why take the chance, they told me I had too report on my Multi Entry Non O. I was once ‘detained’ upstairs at Jomtien for over 2 hours, threatened with a 3500 baht fine for not reporting a change of address. They did eventually let me go with no fine imposed, I would not want to go though that again.

Why on earth if you were obtaining the Non Imm O ME based on retirement would you even need to visit Jomtien in the first place, unless you were applying for an extension, then yes the local financial requirements must be met.

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

By my definition of "good guys" and "bad guys", I believe recent actions have forced out many more good buys than bad guys. I believe "bad guys" should refer to those involved in activities against the interests of Thailand and its people, notably criminal elements. I have seen no new rules that will have the slightest impact on those "bad guys".

The Non Imm O ME has for to long allowed many to circumvent any financial requirements and stay in Thailand indefinitely. Our impression of bad guys, as in criminal elements, is probably not the same definition as Immigrations. Bad guys are probably those living here indefinitely under false pretences without the necessary funds to support themselves. 

44 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Why on earth if you were obtaining the Non Imm O ME based on retirement would you even need to visit Jomtien in the first place, unless you were applying for an extension, then yes the local financial requirements must be met.

Because that is the criteria, in the event I had too goo too Jomtien I wanted too cover my backside and not be fined.

Pit didn’t cost anything and I was in and out in 10 minutes.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

I think the only reason it is not on the online application site is due to it being based around the Beijing embassy requirements and the London embassy was not able to get it changed. 

There a still many embassies and consulate are still issuing multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, BritTim said:

By my definition of "good guys" and "bad guys", I believe recent actions have forced out many more good buys than bad guys. I believe "bad guys" should refer to those involved in activities against the interests of Thailand and its people, notably criminal elements. I have seen no new rules that will have the slightest impact on those "bad guys".

The ‘ bad guys’ stay under the radar, probably don’t even have a Visa etc know the ‘right’ people but as usual the ‘good guys’ suffer the consequences.

• Like 1