Non O (Multi Entry) no longer issued at Royal Thai Embassy in London - new financial requirements for Single Entry Tourist Visas (SETV)

10 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Your referring to this I assume;

• Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland (if applicants are not nationals of these countries) e.g. long stay visa, residence permit, BRP card

I think you'll find an EU passport is sufficient evidence of residency status.

Right well I'll tell you one thing. That paragraph was not there before for SETV. Only people from the restricted countries list had to have UK residency for SETV.

Maybe i will send them an e-mail asking, I'd wanna know a more definite answer on this matter.

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, lkv said:

Maybe i will send them an e-mail asking, I'd wanna know a more definite answer on this matter.

That's good self advice.

If you wanted to go to London Embassy you'd have to use the E-Visa to apply anyway.

Only the Consulates still offer the TV without using the E-Visa application system and it's only a question of time before they have to use it, or they'll close.

Exactly why you'd want to go to London for a TV for Thailand when you live in Europe is beyond me.

Edited by Tanoshi

7 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I believe they have thought this through.

How have they thought it through? In this thread I explained the position of my friend who works in Iraq.  The timings - v his work rotation make it impossible for him to obtain an extension. To apply he would have to enter on a 90 day Non O then apply during the last 30 days of that visa. He would therefore have to be in the country for 60 days - his rotation leave is 28 days.  If somehow he could manage that, he would also have a 30 day 'under consisderation period. The whole scenario would have to be repeated every 12 months.

He used to enter on 30 day exemptions but last year he was told he should obtain a Non O. If and when the E-Visa is introduced everywhere, and I think that's very likely - he will no longer be able to get a ME Non O from Laos and if they follow the letter of the law along with that introduction, neither will he be able to get a SE Non O as officially, they have to be obtained in either your home country or the country where you have permanent residence. It would appear that along with the introduction of the E-Visa system, embassies and consulates are now being told to follow the letter of the law. London, for example will not provide visas unless they are for a UK citizen or someone with residence in the UK.

I can see a situation in the not too far distant future where people like my friend have to fly to London, obtain a SE Non O then over to Thailand to visit their wife and family. That's a ridiculous situation and is why I say that I don't think they've thought it through.  My friend is not an isoloated case - there must be thousands in a similar position. You refer to the 'good guys in, bad guys out' policy - my mate and the thousands in his position are the good guys!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That's good self advice.

If you wanted to go to London Embassy you'd have to use the E-Visa to apply anyway.

Only the Consulates still offer the TV without using the E-Visa application system and it's only a question of time before they have to use it, or they'll close.

Exactly why you'd want to go to London for a TV for Thailand when you live in Europe is beyond me.

So let me just rephrase, so that everybody understands:

An US or Australian citizen travelling in London can no longer apply for a single entry tourist visa at the Royal Thai Embassy in London.

But EU citizens might.

Correct?

Edited by lkv

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I was wondering the same thing. People might be assuming motives that don't exist regarding a deliberate removing of the multi entry non-o option. If this was never offered by Beijing and the e-visa system was set up thusly, it's quite plausible that in transplanting the website to London and Paris, they overlooked that those embassies had different visa options available. 

That is what I think too. Something happened, the vise was not able to be put on the esystem, and it will be available soon.

There's no way they are completely doing away with non imm o visas altogether. 

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

How have they thought it through? In this thread I explained the position of my friend who works in Iraq.  The timings - v his work rotation make it impossible for him to obtain an extension. To apply he would have to enter on a 90 day Non O then apply during the last 30 days of that visa. He would therefore have to be in the country for 60 days - his rotation leave is 28 days.  If somehow he could manage that, he would also have a 30 day 'under consisderation period. The whole scenario would have to be repeated every 12 months.

He used to enter on 30 day exemptions but last year he was told he should obtain a Non O. If and when the E-Visa is introduced everywhere, and I think that's very likely - he will no longer be able to get a ME Non O from Laos and if they follow the letter of the law along with that introduction, neither will he be able to get a SE Non O as officially, they have to be obtained in either your home country or the country where you have permanent residence. It would appear that along with the introduction of the E-Visa system, embassies and consulates are now being told to follow the letter of the law. London, for example will not provide visas unless they are for a UK citizen or someone with residence in the UK.

I can see a situation in the not too far distant future where people like my friend have to fly to London, obtain a SE Non O then over to Thailand to visit their wife and family. That's a ridiculous situation and is why I say that I don't think they've thought it through.  My friend is not an isoloated case - there must be thousands in a similar position. You refer to the 'good guys in, bad guys out' policy - my mate and the thousands in his position are the good guys!

O-A, O-X, Elite, He has options.

I believe Thailand currently has to many foreigners in the Country, that they neither know their whereabouts, or their financial status to support themselves and it's causing to many problems.

4 minutes ago, lkv said:

An US or Australian citizen travelling in London can no longer apply for single entry tourist visas at the Royal Thai Embassy in London.

They'd have to apply via the E-Visa system.

I doubt it unless they have residency status.

It's SMART, it will tell you whether you can or cannot from the information you enter.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think the only reason it is not on the online application site is due to it being based around the Beijing embassy requirements and the London embassy was not able to get it changed. 

There a still many embassies and consulate are still issuing multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

I hope you are right Joe but in my opinion, the writing is on the wall.

I spoke to someone in the visa section of the Thai Embassy in London on this subject yesterday. She told me that it is the E-Visa system that prevents them from issuing ME's.  I explained my mate's situation to her and asked "so are you saying that in the future, he will have to fly from Iraq to London, obtain a visa then fly to Thailand for his visit - every time, maybe 4 or 5 times per year" - the answer was "Yes". Now, she was probably just a clerk who has no idea of what may or may not happen but the situation I describe is a very real possibility and it may not be too far away.

I do not expect a reply but I felt it was no use moaning about the situation if I didn't try to do something.  I therefore wrote to the Thai Ambassador in London yesterday, pointing out the problems associated with the removal of the ability to obtain a ME Non O.

I remain hopeful that someone in Thai Immigration will realise that there has been an error which has 'overlooked' many thousands of genuine people who have wives and families in Thailand but work elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

They'd have to apply via the E-Visa system.

I doubt it unless they have residency status.

It's SMART, it will tell you whether you can or cannot from the information you enter.

Ok, so they can't. Glad we clarified that.

You guys draw whichever conclusions you want from that, moving forward.

Edited by lkv

13 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

O-A and O-X are for retired people are they not? Elite? Why should he bear that cost? It wasn't part of the deal when he got married.

Just looked at O-X.......OK its not for retired people but you do have to be over 50 - what about the guys that are not over 50?

Edited by KhaoYai

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I believe Thailand currently has to many foreigners in the Country, that they neither know their whereabouts, or their financial status to support themselves and it's causing to many problems.

Causing too many problems in what way, the UK is overloaded with Immigrants many don’t contribute too the system. Our schools, hospitals etc are overloaded and can’t cope.

Thailand has the occasional problem where a Farang doesn’t have the money too pay a Medical Bill. Tourists provide a huge income along with the many Farangs who live here but for some reason the Thai Authorities don’t se it that way. They need start thinking about it, the £ has dropped below 38 today and if carry’s on like that the hotels etc will be empty come the high season.

The Tourists and Farangs keep a helluva lot of Immigration people in employment also.

9 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Causing too many problems in what way, the UK is overloaded with Immigrants many don’t contribute too the system. Our schools, hospitals etc are overloaded and can’t cope.

Thailand has the occasional problem where a Farang doesn’t have the money too pay a Medical Bill. Tourists provide a huge income along with the many Farangs who live here but for some reason the Thai Authorities don’t se it that way. They need start thinking about it, the £ has dropped below 38 today and if carry’s on like that the hotels etc will be empty come the high season.

The Tourists and Farangs keep a helluva lot of Immigration people in employment also. 

ECO's yes (Entry clearance officers).

As for internal Immigration offices, only foreigners applying for extensions pay for the service.

9 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

They need start thinking about it, the £ has dropped below 38 today and if carry’s on like that the hotels etc will be empty come the high season.

Agreed, no matter what bluster the Thai authorities make about attracting Asian tourists the situation on the ground appears very different. Everywhere I go in traditional tourist areas there are empty bars, shops with few customers and hotels that appear to be struggling.

But these visa changes are likely to affect far more than what is measured as 'tourist income'. The Thai authorities have no idea what foreigners who live in Thailand spend and contribute to the economy. The guy I've been talking about who wroks in Iraq, bought a new truck last year and has just had a house built. That's around 3 million in one year + all the money he spends on every trip and that's just one guy.

16 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I spoke to someone in the visa section of the Thai Embassy in London on this subject yesterday. She told me that it is the E-Visa system that prevents them from issuing ME's.  I explained my mate's situation to her and asked "so are you saying that in the future, he will have to fly from Iraq to London, obtain a visa then fly to Thailand for his visit - every time, maybe 4 or 5 times per year" - the answer was "Yes". Now, she was probably just a clerk who has no idea of what may or may not happen but the situation I describe is a very real possibility and it may not be too far away.

She was correct.

You'll only be able to obtain a Visa from your Country of citizenship, or residency as the E-Visa system stands.

The choice of applying 4 or 5 times for a Non Imm O SE will be his choice, but he has other options already mentioned that will allow him longer stays in Thailand.

Before BJ was removed, he stated he had plans to speed up marriage extensions.

That for me is the way forward for genuine people like your friend.

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

She was correct.

You'll only be able to obtain a Visa from your Country of citizenship, or residency as the E-Visa system stands.

The choice of applying 4 or 5 times for a Non Imm O SE will be his choice, but he has other options already mentioned that will allow him longer stays in Thailand.

And then what will happen is:

A. The Embassies will limit the number of single entry non O's issued, saying "no more", go extend in Thailand.

B. People living in Thailand on them will be grilled by Immigration for misusing them and not getting an extension.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

But these visa changes are likely to affect far more than what is measured as 'tourist income'. The Thai authorities have no idea what foreigners who live in Thailand spend and contribute to the economy. The guy I've been talking about who wroks in Iraq, bought a new truck last year and has just had a house built. That's around 3 million in one year + all the money he spends on every trip and that's just one guy.

Far to many in Thailand have given precedence to assets, rather than securing their Immigration status.

New truck new house, but he can't afford the Elite Visa!

What exactly are his priorities.

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Far to many in Thailand have given precedence to assets, rather than securing their Immigration status.

New truck new house, but he can't afford the Elite Visa!

What exactly are his priorities.

Yeah ok. Let them purify the beloved nation.

The only participants in Elite will be not so wealthy individuals that will just have to throw up the cash, having too many roots here.

Which is actually the current demographic of Elite. It's not made out of rich sheiks.

16 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I have already replied to your suggested 'other options' they are not possible.  You appear to be supporting these new moves. I can understand that in the case of those abusing the system but there are thousands who do not and comply with the law.

How is it fair to expect someone to fly from Iraq to London and back to Thailand 4 or 5 times per year?  When you marry someone from a country other than your home, you are aware of the procedures that will allow you to spend time with your partner. Is it fair to change those procedures and ask people to spend additional thousands of pounds + lose days of their leave? Some of these guys have children remember!!

I really do not understand how you can support these changes when they affect those who are not abusing the system and who have always fully complied with the law.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

She was correct.

Why do you have too get married to stay in Thailand, plenty of people cohabit the world over.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I have already replied to your suggested 'other options' they are not possible.  You appear to be supporting these new moves. I can understand that in the case of those abusing the system but there are thousands who do not and comply with the law.

How is it fair to expect someone to fly from Iraq to London and back to Thailand 4 or 5 times per year?  When you marry someone from a country other than your home, you are aware of the procedures that will allow you to spend time with your partner. Is it fair to change those procedures and ask people to spend additional thousands of pounds + lose days of their leave? Some of these guys have children remember!!

I really do not understand how you can support these changes when they affect those who are not abusing the system and who have always fully complied with the law.

Their response will be: take your wife and go back to your home country.

We've seen remarks of this nature before.

34 minutes ago, lkv said:

A. The Embassies will limit the number of single entry non O's issued, saying "no more", go extend in Thailand.

That's speculation, there is no evidence to support that will happen.

34 minutes ago, lkv said:

B. People living in Thailand on them will be grilled by Immigration for misusing them and not getting an extension.

Living in Thailand on Non Imm O SE's would be expensive and inconvenient for the foreigner.

Let's observe what's happened so far this year;

No more Embassy Income letters for 4 nationalities, by far the biggest percentage of expats in Thailand.

New financial requirements for retirement based extensions.

Now even a lot of married guys are flocking to nearby Embassies/Consulates for Non Imm O ME's.

Vientiane introduce appointments systems because the numbers.

Hundreds reported in queues at Savannakhet.

Doesn't that paint a picture of the situation.

The new E-Visa service is launched in China, France, UK with plans to expand it worldwide within the next 3 years.

Non Imm O ME Visa will longer be available.

The advice of the Embassies for the now Non Imm O SE Visa is 'for those who wish to remain longer in Thailand apply for an extension at Immigration offices'

It appears pretty obvious to me that in the future those who want to stay in Thailand for periods longer than 3 months will have to obtain extensions, or get the long stay type Visas. 

That means proof of financials that you can genuinely support yourself or Thai wife/family.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, lkv said:

Their response will be: take your wife and go back to your home country.

We've seen remarks of this nature before.

I take it you are refering to my letter to the embassy - not included in your quote but on that basis....

Yes, you are correct. I saw that type of answer when there were changes many years ago. However, I'd rather try and point out that I think there has been an error and not just sit and moan about it.

Edited by KhaoYai

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

His priorities are his wife and family, I didn't say he couldn't afford an Elite Visa but why should he now have to pay for that. When he got married it wasn't a requirement.

Would his wife rather have the house and new truck or spend the quality limited time with him.

There never used to be a financial requirement to take your Thai wife to the UK, but that changed and many can't meet the requirements.

7 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

However, I'm realising I'm wasting my time debating with you - do you have any idea how 'stuck up' you sound?

I'm far from being stuck up, I'm just being realistic.

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Thailand is changing it's policies.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I take it you are refering to my letter to the embassy - not included in your quote but on that basis....

Yes, you are correct. I saw that type of answer when there were changes many years ago. However, I'd rather try and point out that I think there has been an error and not just sit and moan about it.

No, I was referring in general. Local Immigration. MFA etc. This will likely be their attitude.

Don't be naive thinking this is an error. It's not. And I am saying this to keep it real.

19 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That's speculation, there is no evidence to support that will happen.

Living in Thailand on Non Imm O SE's would be expensive and inconvenient for the foreigner.

Of course it's speculation, you don't expect me to bring you evidence of what will happen in the future, I don't have a crystal ball.

But what I will say is this:

Any sane individual that sees himself living in a place (fortunately for as long as he can), will make a projection of how the future may look like, in order to make a risk assesment.

And...it doesn't look bright, does it?

The SETV game was expensive for me also and I have done it for years, many will do the non O single game if allowed.

Edited by lkv

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Would his wife rather have the house and new truck or spend the quality limited time with him.

There never used to be a financial requirement to take your Thai wife to the UK, but that changed and many can't meet the requirements.

I'm far from being stuck up, I'm just being realistic.

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Thailand is changing it's policies.

I find your answer a little patronising but nevertheless, let's deal with it...........When they bought the truck and built the house, there was no question of ME Non O's not being available.

The changes to the UK immigration requirements in terms of the financial requirement did not affect those already there. My friend has been married for several years and has in effect made has already made Thailand his home.  I cannot speak for him but I feel sure he would have made his decisions based on the conditions at the time he married.

I do not need to wake up and smell any coffee - I am fully aware of what's going on. Basically what I'm saying here and have said in other threads is that I am aware that many people have been abusing the Thai immigration/visa service for years - but they have been allowed to do so.  There now appears to be a clamp down - it was obvious what many would do for example, when the financial requirements for visa extensions in Thailand were enforced/changed.  It is therefore not surprising that Multi Non O's are being withdrawn in the new E-Visa system - however, that affects a large number of people who have been using ME Non O's properly.

Some take the view that this is a mistake, others think Multi Non O's were simply missed of the new E-Visa system and will be included at some point. I don't really know but I don't think the Thai authorities are as bad as some would have us believe.  In their 'Good Guys in, Bad Guys out campaign they are clearly seeking to rout out those abusing the system - I just don't think the situation of ex pats who are married to Thai's but work elsewhere was taken account of in making the recent changes. It is very hard to take account of every eventuallity but I like to think this is one that will be put right at some point.

There is also the other view - that reductions in the amount of visas issued etc. will cut certain 'income streams' - that in itself may lead to the situation being rectified.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I don't really know but I don't think the Thai authorities are as bad as some would have us believe.  In their 'Good Guys in, Bad Guys out campaign they are clearly seeking to rout out those abusing the system - I just don't think the situation of ex pats who are married to Thai's but work elsewhere was taken account of in making the recent changes.

Right well that's your interpretation. Here's mine:

Military rule since 2014

Example of stunts they wanted to pull for the sake of national security:

-digital internet gateway a la China

-tracking sim cards for foreigners

-foreigner information form asking for people's Facebook and the bars they go to.

- requesting Line (Japan) to give them access to all the chats from Thai users. Line said no. They may have fixed this "minor problem" with the latest Line / Rabbit venture, since it involves the BTS company (Thai).

- registration of BTS cards.

This is what the Thai authorities have been doing since 2014. They want to know where you are, what you eat, who you sleep with.

That plus Immigration crackdowns, which concern foreigners, since they are a threat to the stability of the nation for the next 20 years, as planned with a rigged Constitution.

Ok, sorry for the rant. Let me get back on topic, what were we talking about? The visa misfortunes of foreign husbands that happened to marry Thai women?

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

Why they worry about the financial support of foreigners? Thailand have no social security system like other countries which would supporting them if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

UK passport. Over 50. Flight to and out of Thailand booked. Stay is over 60 days but less than 90. Just my winter break, no family involved. SETV used to work fine but now the flight out proof within 60 days is a pain. I nearly always fly somewhere but do not book it until I get to Thailand.

Have I read the London Embassy page correctly that I can get a SE non o that will be valid for 90 days if I have 10k Stg in the bank for 3 months? No flight, hotels required? Many Thanks

I've asked that question earlier in the thread and it has so far not received a reply - thanks for bumping it ????