Non O (Multi Entry) no longer issued at Royal Thai Embassy in London - new financial requirements for Single Entry Tourist Visas (SETV)

15 hours ago, CaptainNemo said:

It doesn't make sense that visa policy isn't reciprocated. Why shouldn't visa arrangements be reciprocal?

My country gave my wife a spouse visa without any need for anything like a multi-entry non-immigrant visa and let my wife work 20 hours a week and not have to do any 90-day reporting, and after 3 years she was able to get citizenship without having to submit any intention of getting rid of her original citizenship. One of the principles of international treaties is reciprocity, and asking for equal treatment is not "taking advantage", it's a disadvantage. There is no reasonable or sensible reason for not issuing multi-entry visas.

Well perhaps reciprocity should first start with your country offering Thais Visa free entry into your country ! Does it?

On 9/7/2019 at 11:55 AM, Tanoshi said:

Because oil workers are not in Thailand long enough to process marriage extensions.

They could apply for extensions based on retirement, but would still need a Non O Visa initially, but again there is no guarantee they would be in Thailand to process the extension, it depends on their work rota's.

So are you saying they can't leave Thailand while under the consideration process?

4 minutes ago, sumrit said:

So are you saying they can't leave Thailand while under the consideration process?

The consideration process is usually a matter of minutes for a retirement extension. 

For a marriage extension there is a one month approval and a permission to stay is given for that, and an re-entry permit can be obtained. Coming back at the end of that month to collect a marriage extension is a problem.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The consideration process is usually a matter of minutes for a retirement extension. 

For a marriage extension there is a one month approval and a permission to stay is given for that, and an re-entry permit can be obtained. Coming back at the end of that month to collect a marriage extension is a problem.

I understand the difference and a retirement extension is not available to anybody under 50 anyway. They can get a re-entry permit if they have to leave Thailand before the consideration period is completed, which is usually about 30 days. But it's only once a year so what's wrong with tagging a week or two weeks holiday onto the leave time spent in Thailand to ensure the consideration is completed before returning to work. Then they don't need to leave first. I know it's not an Ideal situation and would take organising, but it's the price of that type of job. 

1 minute ago, sumrit said:

But it's only once a year so what's wrong with tagging a week or two weeks holiday onto the leave time

If he can get up to a month perhaps. My experience of these types of contracts was there is no extra time off until the end of a contract. Having it available every year at the same time is perhaps optimistic. 

39 minutes ago, sumrit said:

You need to get a re-entry permit or the extension process gets cut. After the extension is done, you'll need another re-entry to travel again.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

If he can get up to a month perhaps. My experience of these types of contracts was there is no extra time off until the end of a contract. Having it available every year at the same time is perhaps optimistic. 

The original post I was quoting on suggested that post had a 4-5 week on/4-5 week off rota so tagging a 1-2 week holiday would, I would have thought, be acceptable. Are you saying people on offshore jobs aren't entitled to any annual leave?

4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

You need to get a re-entry permit or the extension process gets cut. After the extension is done, you'll need another re-entry to travel again.

I fully understand the re-entry process. He would simply get a multi re-entry stamp at the same time as his visa is approved. Last as long as his extension is valid. Then another one to cover the under consideration period, if needed.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:04 PM, moe666 said:

You hit the nail on the spot Cap. but there is still a few here who think it is just fine for people to break the rules and have a real cry when Thailand enforce there rules and laws.

Get over it boys the good old days of people coming and going for extended periods is over unless you have the correct paper work

Some of you guys are not seeing the clear picture.  So you think an undesirable criminal element intent on being in Thailand is going to give a rats ass about a no o visa?  They will simply enter on a 30 day visa and overstay.  How does this solve anything?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

Some of you guys are not seeing the clear picture.  So you think an undesirable criminal element intent on being in Thailand is going to give a rats ass about a no o visa?  They will simply enter on a 30 day visa and overstay.  How does this solve anything?

So are you suggesting then that the visa system is made more difficult to ensure all of these undesirable criminal elements are caught?

OR

are you suggesting all visas should be scrapped to allow every Tom, Dick and Harry come and go as they please ????

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

No, that isn't what I said.

Most oil workers enter VE or TV because of their work rota's and come straight to Thailand during their time off. They would have to go through the conversion process first to obtain the Non O before applying for an extension. Their work rotas just don't fit in with being in the Country at the right time.

It's far easier for them now to go Savannakhet or HCMC for a Non Imm O ME if married to a Thai.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2019 at 8:49 AM, jessicar said:

I have done my non o in January in hcmc. 5 people in front of me. 

Very friendly staff. 10 minutes done

Really? You got the multiple non-o there in 10 minutes? It takes a week here in Holland. In that case i 'll also go to HCMC. Did you have to show them many proof of finance or only the 400.000 baht cash on the bank?

Couple of observations from a SETV application in London recently:

• -You need to set up a user-id (and supply an email address) to use the online visa system
  • -The system crashed on me several times. You can save and resume part-completed applications, so save often
  • -The online system only accepts .jpg format* files. No pdfs.  You might have to get acquainted with screenshotting and photoshop/photoediting software
  • -Your attachments (flight tickets, etc) must be smaller than 500 KiloBytes (each) in size - again, you might have to do some tap dancing with image editing software to achieve this
  • -You'll also have to upload an image of your passport datapage and a passport-compliant photo of your face (they have a clever online checker to see whether your face-photo is compliant). The application process grinds to a halt until you supply a compliant photo.
  • -One of the requirements (for applications made to the London embassy, anyway) is "Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland (if applicants are not nationals of these countries)".  If you ARE a national of the UK, then your passport is your proof of residence, but the system will still expect you attach a .jpg of SOMETHING under that section.  How about a nice picture of some kittens?
  • -The system supplies a declaration page which you are supposed to (a) download; (b) print; (c) sign; (d) scan; (e) upload (which makes things tedious if you don't have a printer!). Tip, you can probably do a screenshot of it and scribble a signature on that, on-screen).
  • -Bank statements need to have a postal address on (the list of requirements doesn't mention this).  My online statement (with no address) was rejected.
  • -Posters above have mentioned that the bank balance needs to be above 20,000 THB equivalent. I didn't test this, myself.
  • -Proof of accommodation doesn't need to be for your full stay.  I booked a hotel online for a week's stay and cancelled my booking afterwards
  • -The website doesn't say anything about the requirements of the flight (return etc). I showed a one-way flight only, which was fine
  • -You will need to transport your actual passport to the embassy (!). If you are taking it there in person, you have to book an appointment date on the embassy's  online system.  You need to choose a date which is more than two working days away.  The embassy's online calendar/booking system will allow you to pick inappropriate dates (e.g. weekends when they are closed; or dates earlier than the 2 day leadtime). You have to use your own brain to pick a suitable date
  • -If you are taking your passport to the embassy in person, you have to print out all your evidence (bankstatements etc), despite already having uploaded it.  Postal applicants don't need to print/send the evidence, but have to printout the supplied sheet stating their application number/barcode. Postal applicants also have to slip-in a tenner in cash to cover the postage back
  • -If any of your evidence is deemed unsatisfactory when a human reviews it, the embassy will email you and tell you what is missing/wrong.  You then have to email it to them at an email address they supply.  Responses to emails are quite speedy.
  • -They will give you a date when you can collect your passport again. In person, this is done via a cloakroom-ticket number and collection number barcode. The blurb says you have to bring a 'identity card' with you, but you don't.  Apparently postal applications take 3-5 working days
  •  

* actually, technically there are _two_ file formats accepted by the system.  One is .jpg. I forget the other one, but it's definately not .pdf or .txt

• 1 month later...

My understanding is you simply get a 90 day non-imm O, then extend it for a year from within Thailand once you get there. That gives you 15 months with no visa runs!   I found a link here that explains the requirements to get the extension, which seems the same as the old multi-entry requirements accept it's an extension. Seems easier to me, as I loath visa-runs.   

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/ExtendingStay.pdf

On 6/20/2019 at 12:04 PM, moe666 said:

You hit the nail on the spot Cap. but there is still a few here who think it is just fine for people to break the rules and have a real cry when Thailand enforce there rules and laws.

Get over it boys the good old days of people coming and going for extended periods is over unless you have the correct paper work

And of course with the ever changing rules, keeping up with the correct paperwork depends on your luck getting the right IO.

David

• Thanks 1