Thai Lion Air - Any firsthand experience

ravip

On 9/30/2019 at 6:48 AM, ravip said:

Unfortunately the link does not work.

This was an article in the NYT on September 18.

Just google "what really brought down".

Very long read,  very interesting. 

Some technical knowledge would be helpful. 

I used Thai Lion a few months back and booked on my mobile phone. Upon arriving at DMK it became apparent that I had forgotten to add on the extra for checked in baggage and they wanted to charge something like 8000 for our bags. I asked why it was so expensive and they said that I should have checked the box and paid the extra when booking so my mistake. We bought a box at the post office in the corner of DMK and posted our bags bag for about 500 baht and they arrived in Ubon the next morning. Won't use again as they were less than polite.

9 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I used Thai Lion a few months back and booked on my mobile phone. Upon arriving at DMK it became apparent that I had forgotten to add on the extra for checked in baggage and they wanted to charge something like 8000 for our bags. I asked why it was so expensive and they said that I should have checked the box and paid the extra when booking so my mistake. We bought a box at the post office in the corner of DMK and posted our bags bag for about 500 baht and they arrived in Ubon the next morning. Won't use again as they were less than polite.

Sounds like you messed up and did not follow their policy.

100% your fault nothing wrong with the airline in this case.

I take them all the time and their price for my golf clubs are about 1/4 of Air Asia.

And I make sure I pre-book them.

Thai Lion is very good from my experience.

I prefer Vietjet air or Thai smile airlines for domestic travel within thailand because they operate from BKK not DMK

They are only a bit more expensive (Or is some cases) cheaper than Lion air

DMK Immigration last time i was there was jammed packed and took two hours to get through, not sure what its like now .......that was an international flight from bali though

If you are travelling from from/to bangkok BKK you also get the benefit of being able to use the air raillink which saved (300-400 baht on a taxi)

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 11:10 AM, colinneil said:
On 6/21/2019 at 10:59 AM, Old Croc said:

The parent company Lion Air Indonesia tops many lists of the most unsafe airlines because of the many crashes and incidents in it's short period of existence. The last one was the Boeing 737 Max crash near Jakarta last October that killed all. 

No incidences have been recorded by the Thai version, so from a safety perspective, so far so good.

Bit cruel of you posting about the crash last october, as everybody knows it was not the airlines or pilots faults, but Boeings fault for selling an unsafe aircraft.

An investigation has now concluded it was a combination of aircraft flaws and Lion Air inadequacies with pilot training and maintenance. My opinion was not so cruel after all!

"An Indonesian investigation has found a Lion Air flight that crashed and killed 189 people a year ago was doomed by a combination of aircraft design flaws, inadequate training and maintenance problems."

4 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

An investigation has now concluded it was a combination of aircraft flaws and Lion Air inadequacies with pilot training and maintenance. My opinion was not so cruel after all!

"An Indonesian investigation has found a Lion Air flight that crashed and killed 189 people a year ago was doomed by a combination of aircraft design flaws, inadequate training and maintenance problems."

The fact remains that Boeing sold an unsafe aircraft in the first place, not you or anybody else can come up with any excuse for that..... Profit before lives/ safety.

I used them a couple of weeks ago, Don Mueng to Chiang Mai. Didn't pre book any luggage, fortunately I arrived at the check in 3hrs before my flight. I was able to pay for my 10kg bag, if you arrive less than 3hrs before departure you can't pay for each kilogram, I would have had to pay 700bt for 15kg.

So pre booking and paying for luggage is a must .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 minutes ago, colinneil said:

The fact remains that Boeing sold an unsafe aircraft in the first place, not you or anybody else can come up with any excuse for that..... Profit before lives/ safety.

The fact also remains that you said "It's not the airline or pilots fault" which is clearly wrong.

"Malfunctions caused two deadly crashes. But an industry that puts unprepared pilots in the cockpit is just as guilty".

On 10/5/2019 at 8:03 PM, bkk6060 said:

Sounds like you messed up and did not follow their policy.

100% your fault nothing wrong with the airline in this case.

I take them all the time and their price for my golf clubs are about 1/4 of Air Asia.

And I make sure I pre-book them.

Thai Lion is very good from my experience.

Also, if needed you can adjust your booking (I think up to 48 hrs before departure time) to add check-in luggage or increase the weight of your check-in luggage, all at the same rate if booked within the original booking, and you pay the extra charges on-line. Very easy. 

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Where did you get the idea I was trying to excuse Boeing?  They made a <deleted> aircraft and sold it to a <deleted> company with poorly trained pilots.

You described me as cruel for just mentioning this crash when assessing the airline. Should I have redacted this fact?

Why are you trying to excuse Lion Air?

Flew Bangkok to Phuket return last week. Prepare for delays. Aircraft paper work went missing for an hour and on the return cabin crew couldn’t get the head count right. Turned out 2 checked in but no show at the gate. Luckily they only had carry on luggage. Flights where OK and cheap tickets. Will fly with them again.

Archived