Moving to Bangkok

Hi everyone,

I have a Bangkok Bank account in Pattaya where I lived for 4 years. I recently moved to BKK and went into my local Bangkok Bank branch today to open an account here. They asked for my passport (no problem) but also gave me a form for the Britsh Embassy to sign to say I'm a UK citizen.
British Embassy will not sign 3rd party documents so I'm not sure what to do next. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Thai bank accounts are not transferable from branch to branch. Part of each account number is a branch identifier. Open an account at the new branch. Do not close the old account until the new one has been opened.

Thanks for all the advice. I went back to Bangkok Bank, Asoke and they insisted on a British Embassy notarised 'Proof of address'. However, Kasikorn next door needed no such document so the new account was opened there; new branch with helpful, multi-lingual staff.

I moved from Jomtien to Ban Chang ...had an argument with an assistant bank manager in my Jomtien (TMB) branch with whom I been banking with for 16 years. Marched straight from her desk up to the main counter and closed my 2 accounts..(savings and fixed) on the spot, (unfortunately I have a bit of a "hot head" with people who are "cheeky" by nature and jumped up little Jannetts.)

Went into the Ban Chang branch of the same bank the next day and newly opened up the two accounts in there....no problem...all done in about 30 minutes.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I moved from Jomtien to Ban Chang ...had an argument with an assistant bank manager in my Jomtien (TMB) branch with whom I been banking with for 16 years. Marched straight from her desk up to the main counter and closed my 2 accounts..(savings and fixed) on the spot, (unfortunately I have a bit of a "hot head" with people who are "cheeky" by nature and jumped up little Jannetts.)

Went into the Ban Chang branch of the same bank the next day and newly opened up the two accounts in there....no problem...all done in about 30 minutes.

Well done!!!

23 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Won't Pattaya Bkk bank transfer your a/c to the Bkk branch.?

They will, but they will also charge you a percentage of the amount you move.  Thai bank branches operate like independent banking entities.  I did that when I moved from Korat to Chiang Mai. I believe I was charged a 1% transfer fee.  In retrospect, I'd close the account and transport the money then open a new account. 

14 hours ago, orientfan said:

Thanks for all the advice. I went back to Bangkok Bank, Asoke and they insisted on a British Embassy notarised 'Proof of address'. However, Kasikorn next door needed no such document so the new account was opened there; new branch with helpful, multi-lingual staff.

Banks forget about capitalism.  If one banks wants you to jump through hoops which is now the benchmark of their customer service commitment, then try another bank.  Use the banks which actively want you as a customer and provide you with the best customer service.  
I've been with BKK Bank for years primarily because of the convenience of their New York office forwarding ACH transfers from the West and they were the only Bank you could send Social Security direct deposits too. 
But that convenience is now ended.  ACH transfers no longer are accepted (in a form supported by any bank if have in the US) and Social Security will soon implement Direct Deposits to other Thai banks other than BKK Bank. 
There customer service over the years, in my experience, is mixed.  I may choose to move banks one day.  Pretty soon the only requirement I'll personally need from a Thai bank is how good their customer service is.  

i also use bkk bank and various satellite branches have had varying levels of ignorance/incompetence/laziness . but their main branch / building on silom road has never had these problems furthermore main branch staff have apologized for astonishingly ridiculous customer service failures at outlying branches and even laughed in disbelief. not uncommon for main branch staff to have attended university overseas as many have remarked to me.

7 hours ago, connda said:

They will, but they will also charge you a percentage of the amount you move.  Thai bank branches operate like independent banking entities.  I did that when I moved from Korat to Chiang Mai. I believe I was charged a 1% transfer fee.  In retrospect, I'd close the account and transport the money then open a new account. 

No, there is no transfer fee in %. Imagine you move 10mio Baht and have to pay 1%... (and you could still get cashiers cheques). They use fixed rates and it's not expensive.

Archived