Police examining noisy exhausts in Pattaya: Over 95 decibels and you're in trouble!

webfact

Police examining noisy exhausts in Pattaya: Over 95 decibels and you're in trouble!

92144614fd3df8e12a103cdc132a8ffe3b4d7a7e2ad2cde723f1fde25d98400c.jpg
Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported that Pattaya police, special administrative staff and environmentalists set up a roadblock in Jomtien last night to check on noisy and smelly exhausts.

One man was even pictured with a notice saying he couldn't use his bike until it was returned to factory specifications. 

Pol Maj Arut Sathanon said the main reason for the checkpoint was to do something about PM 2.5 particles and noisy exhausts - he said 95 decibels was the limit. 

Thawatchai Kaewphakdee of the special administration said this crackdown was the second of its kind. It was going on not just in Pattaya but throughout Chonburi, Bangkok and surrounding areas. 

Lots of people were fined in the last one back on May 15th he said. 

Siam Rath gave no indication of the success or otherwise of last night's operation.  

Source: Siam Rath

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question, why Pattaya? Thailand has like 77 provinces and god only knows how many towns and cities of all sizes wher i saw in my own eyes kids riding souped up or homemade contraptions resembling motorcycles, needless to say no lights no helmets and 3-4 on the same bike, why Pattaya than?

coz Pattaya is where the MONEY IS right?...

6 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Question, why Pattaya?

I can't comment on the rest of the country, but Pattaya has an epidemic with noisy exhausts right now. It has gotten so bad, that we have given up going to several open front bars, as it is literally at least one every minute howling by, making conversation impossible. Everyone here has been begging the issue to be tackled for a very long time. I just hope they don't have a couple of stops and call it a day.

20 minutes ago, webfact said:

Pol Maj Arut Sathanon said the main reason for the checkpoint was to do something about PM 2.5 particles and noisy exhausts - he said 95 decibels was the limit

Good that they are doing something about the noisy aftermarket exhausts as they can be a real pain in the a*se .. But the particles .? Are they trying to test bikes for those .?  

I wonder why sporadic "campaigns  like this are highlighted.

Even to the point where at one time retailers exhibiting ready made modified noise enhancing exhaust units  for  bikes had them confiscated.

The deliberate noise may make the small minded happy but the community majority would be grateful for it to be permanently removed.

2 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I can't comment on the rest of the country, but Pattaya has an epidemic with noisy exhausts right now. It has gotten so bad, that we have given up going to several open front bars, as it is literally at least one every minute howling by, making conversation impossible. Everyone here has been begging the issue to be tackled for a very long time. I just hope they don't have a couple of stops and call it a day.

Here in Isaan it has increased recently in conjunction with "gangs" of teens racing back and forth demonstrating quite  dangerous behaviours. It seems to have increased  since the publicity about "crackdowns" on street racers in some localities. Copy cat challenge to authority?

One of the first things I noticed upon my return to Thailand after a 2-year absence was the number of very noisy motorbikes. Roughly 20 years ago it was at epidemic proportions, and for probably the only time in their miserable lives the police actually did something about it. They launched a crackdown that they followed through with, and it was a success because they hit the hard targets - the motorcycle shops and exhaust importers and distributors - instead of just a handful of riders for a couple of weeks. So they can make a difference if they want to.

But this plague seems to have returned with a vengeance.  ????????????

The police have been letting this go on for too long now. The Yamaha MSlaz, very popular with young Thai riders, was the beginning of wide-spread replacement of factory exhausts. Now almost every one of them is super noisy..

Seeing this, many of the youngsters who can only afford Waves have started doing the same.. Not putting on replacement exhausts, because that would look stupid even to them, but probably punching holes in the baffles of the original exhausts.

It's gotten to the point where a good percentage of the bikes favoured by youngsters are offensively loud. Even some of the automatic scooters are following this trend.

4 minutes ago, bobbin said:

punching holes in the baffles of the original exhausts

The funny part is that they truly believe it'll make the bike go faster. They should punching holes in their heads instead.

28 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Bangkok too, if u sit on sukhumvit road at a bar/restaurant the noise from motercycles can drive you crazy....

35 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I can't comment on the rest of the country

It's everywhere! FINALLY they start doing something! Let's hope they keep it up and expand it all over the country as soon as possible, or at least in all major cities.

8 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

My solution would be to put them in a closed room and run the engine hard until it runs out of petrol, or they start bleeding from the ears. Help them appreciate the level of unwanted volume they create.

Wouldn't work, as Thais are immune to loud noice.

32 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Wouldn't work, as Thais are immune to loud noice.

They think they are! have you ever come across a more lethargic group, they can sleep anywhere as they never get any decent sleep due to the constant noise ???? 

But they are too "scared" to complain, knowing their fellow citizens are most likely to be :crazy:

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Question, why Pattaya? Thailand has like 77 provinces and god only knows how many towns and cities of all sizes wher i saw in my own eyes kids riding souped up or homemade contraptions resembling motorcycles, needless to say no lights no helmets and 3-4 on the same bike, why Pattaya than?

coz Pattaya is where the MONEY IS right?...

Because it is like shooting fish in a barrel. Boy racers queue up from 12am - 3am on 2nd Road Jomtien to drag race every night. I am surprised the police have enough books of tickets for them. All power to their elbows !!

Archived