Police examining noisy exhausts in Pattaya: Over 95 decibels and you're in trouble!

webfact

3 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Agree !  If at only 100 Baht a time they  could  make a low estimate of 4000 by mid day using a decibel  meter on the road outside  my place!

It should be 1000 Baht, + the 'normal' special price for farangs....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Police, please bring your sound level meter to Soi Bar in Ban Chang all day everyday for a month.  With fines you could retire early.  Might also bring your laser speed testers with sufficient forces available to stop speeders.  The new STOP signs installed near the Bondi and up that side street to 3376 have no effect.  Might station a few police at the intersection before 3376.  Local patrons would appreciate your help.  

Just now, darksidedog said:

I can't comment on the rest of the country, but Pattaya has an epidemic with noisy exhausts right now. It has gotten so bad, that we have given up going to several open front bars, as it is literally at least one every minute howling by, making conversation impossible. Everyone here has been begging the issue to be tackled for a very long time. I just hope they don't have a couple of stops and call it a day.

Yes, noticed the same in naklua where I have been living, more noisy bikes and as you have said makes conversation difficult/impossible.

Yet naklua generally a quiet place ( away from the main road ) and part of the reason for me choosing that location.

Hope the clampdown continues.

The police in Pattaya are being given a kick up the backside from the newly elected democratic government (ha ha).

As reported elsewhere on TV, 2 very senior Pattaya cops have recently been moved to inactive posts. 

My guess is that those investing or potentially investing in the EEC corridor have expressed concern about visible lawlessness. Other targets can watch out.

8 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Good! They should do this every day, and all around Thailand.

Are you kidding? Creating noise, smoke and litter on the roadside is an integral part of the Thai male ego/ culture. Take that from them and they have nothing. ????

Soi Buakhao

8 hours ago, webfact said:

man was even pictured with a notice saying he couldn't use his bike until it was returned to factory specifications

Of course he drove the bike home and is probably riding down soi buakhao full throttle as I type 

Best advice is to close down roads to all motorized vehicles, where bars and tourists are.

Amazing how quiet and fun beach road was during the Music festival night.....People strolling down the road, enjoying the sights - that is what a tourist town should strive to be.....

Close Second road and beach road to most all traffic and we would all be safe and happy 55 (would still want motorbike taxis and baht buses though as they need to make a living and deliver supplies)  Just getting rid of all the motorcycles for rent on beach road would open up thousands of square meters for benches or food carts and a few bicycle rentals etc..

14 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Best advice is to close down roads to all motorized vehicles, where bars and tourists are.

Amazing how quiet and fun beach road was during the Music festival night.....People strolling down the road, enjoying the sights - that is what a tourist town should strive to be.....

Close Second road and beach road to most all traffic and we would all be safe and happy 55 (would still want motorbike taxis and baht buses though as they need to make a living and deliver supplies)  Just getting rid of all the motorcycles for rent on beach road would open up thousands of square meters for benches or food carts and a few bicycle rentals etc..

Wont happen. They built a 3 lane highway  right next to the beach and the Chinese tour buses now own it, they even turn the traffic lights off in High season so as not to inconvenience them .

17 hours ago, bobbin said:

The police have been letting this go on for too long now. The Yamaha MSlaz, very popular with young Thai riders, was the beginning of wide-spread replacement of factory exhausts. Now almost every one of them is super noisy..

Seeing this, many of the youngsters who can only afford Waves have started doing the same.. Not putting on replacement exhausts, because that would look stupid even to them, but probably punching holes in the baffles of the original exhausts.

It's gotten to the point where a good percentage of the bikes favoured by youngsters are offensively loud. Even some of the automatic scooters are following this trend.

Harleys are by far the noisiest 

My solution would be to put them in a closed room and run the engine hard until it runs out of petrol, or they start bleeding from the ears. Help them appreciate the level of unwanted volume they create.
They could most probably fall asleep next to the bike.......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The Thai mentality: I have a new bike so I will alter the exhaust so people (police) will look at me and it will cost me more in petrol.

This 'crackdown' by Pattaya Plod won't last; if they can't stop red-light runners outside their own stations how are they going to check exhausts?

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

Question, why Pattaya? Thailand has like 77 provinces and god only knows how many towns and cities of all sizes wher i saw in my own eyes kids riding souped up or homemade contraptions resembling motorcycles, needless to say no lights no helmets and 3-4 on the same bike, why Pattaya than?

coz Pattaya is where the MONEY IS right?...

and probably NO mirrors !!! and illegible rear number plates !!

On 6/20/2019 at 6:18 AM, darksidedog said:

I can't comment on the rest of the country, but Pattaya has an epidemic with noisy exhausts right now. It has gotten so bad, that we have given up going to several open front bars, as it is literally at least one every minute howling by, making conversation impossible. Everyone here has been begging the issue to be tackled for a very long time. I just hope they don't have a couple of stops and call it a day.

I too live on darkside .My house backs onto a just opened  road that leads to a  large thai houses community.

The police could earn enough to retire early if they set this up here .

On 6/20/2019 at 10:43 PM, john ianson said:

Harleys are by far the noisiest 

And the slowest, hence the owners have to 'adjust' the sound level of their bikes to impress the 'average Somchai/Joe'. Pathetic.

3 hours ago, p414 said:

I too live on darkside .My house backs onto a just opened  road that leads to a  large thai houses community.

Ah yes the lure of the quiet suburb .. with constant stream of concrete trucks, scooters with straight exhausts, pickups with huge woofers, temples blasting morlam all night .. there's no escape from the noise pollution. Even getting a house in the middle of a large village won't help - Thais just love to torture everyone by making noise. There is no hope.

3 hours ago, p414 said:

The police could earn enough to retire early if they set this up here.

I live 20 km outside of Udon, my house is 1 km from a "B" road - same thing, if the Police set wanted to make big bucks they could set up check points on this road and there would be no need for the ridiculous money making road blocks, if they don't get enough money from the motorcyclists they could also check the ridiculously noisy trucks that are also polluting the country!

Archived