How's the corn looking in your neck of the woods?

Gecko123

Lot of corn got planted this year, and initially it was off to a very good start. But right now, have this feeling a lot of people are having second thoughts. Pale green, withering leaves. Plants under 18" tall look particularly stressed. With not much rain in the forecast for the next week, people are starting to look worried. A good rain would help salvage things a lot, but doesn't look like this year's harvest is going to be very good. Any better in your neck of the woods?

Nothing happening around this part of the country. Couple of nice lookers in the local bars but nothing worth talking about. Cops would crack down on it, if they knew about it anyway. Boring!

Oh! Wait ........ Corn, you say. Sorry read it differently. ????

23 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Any better in your neck of the woods?

Not much corn planted around here as far as I can see. There has been a lot of ground prepared, for dryland rice or corn, but no one is planting as there has not been any significant rain for 2 weeks. We have a small plot leased for dryland rice but the ground is all cracked just like dry season.

a bit early for corn to be appearing in the market, I'd give it another month - 6 weeks and then it'll be every saleng jockey with one hand on the throttle and one hand stuffin' corn down his gub...serves to indicate the passing of the seasons where I live...high season now for pineapples and the mangoes are finished...

We bought some cobb salad at a mall food court about 2 weeks ago = usually good from there - this time some old, tough corn....

As my wife knew I was disappointed she went to the market & bought 6 ears of corn that was fresh Thai style - (not like what's available when we're in the states)....

She made cobb salad & it was very good.....She also made a batch of corn chowder that was very good.....

Maybe we got the best toward the end of the season....

yeah and a long season it is too... the kernels get plumper and sweeter as the season progresses...I always keep a couple of steamed ears in the fridge to munch on during the day...can always get them steamed and BBQed down the market...sure would be nice if they had the elote sauce that the street vendors have in Mexico...

On 6/20/2019 at 4:31 PM, Gecko123 said:

Corn in our area Lopburi is looking sick ,June last year we had 55 mm of rain ,not a lot ,so far this month 27 mm ,one more week without rain it will all be ploughed in ,some farmers have already applied they fertilizer ,so they will losing that as well ,a good few thousand baht .

The other problem is it is getting late in the year ,normally corn is 2-3 foot high now  ,ready for harvest in end of August -mid September,corn this year was only drilled 3 weeks ago a late harvest  most farmers are worried that they will not be enough rain for a late drilled  second crop ,looks like it will be Mung Bean or Sunflower ,for a second crop ,these crops need less rain than corn ,but the price is not always so good ,but we grew Mung Beans and did all right out of the crop .

As for the army worm ,we have it ,a friend of mines wife was spraying last week ,seen many crops being sprayed ,not certain if thay  have the worm ,or spraying as a   precaution ,if spraying as a precaution dose any good .

It' really looking bad here.  Most of the corn was planted early to mid May and there was rain every night for about two weeks and then it stopped  There hasn't been any since.  The week before last the weatherman foretasted a week of rain last week but there was none, not a drop.  The sun was out strong all day and the hottest day of the year was last Saturday.  Some of the farmers are trying to "save " their crop by installing drip irrigation systems but have to haul the water in by truck and the pump empties it in a few minutes with little or no water getting to the end of the lines.  I think it's a losing battle.  The only hope is if the heavens open up!  Glad that I'm out of the business, not really!

Archived