Buri Ram: Husband gored to death by wild elephant as wife plays dead to survive

webfact

Husband gored to death by wild elephant as wife plays dead to survive

By The Nation

2ad87d84f69aac4b2c5da70ecacefc7dbfdb6366f88cc01e1873687be50ae874.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

A man was gored to death by a wild elephant in his tapioca plantation in Buri Ram’s None Din Daeng district late on Wednesday while his wife played dead to escape the attack, police said.

None Din Daeng police were informed on Thursday morning that Surasak Phijaranakhonburi, 26, had been fatally stabbed on the left side of his chest by the elephant's tusk while he and his wife camped out in their plantation in Tambon Nong Bua.

Surasak's wife, Sureerat Tabuangsri, 27, told police that after their workers finished harvesting tapioca on Wednesday, they decided to sleep in a mosquito net near their 10-wheel truck in the plantation so that her husband could spray pesticide the next morning.

But they were woken up late on Wednesday night by three wild elephants that toppled their mosquito net, Sureerat said.

She said Surasak became frightened and got up and tried to run away but he stumbled and fell down and was killed by one of the elephants.

Sureerat said she wrapped herself in the mosquito net and laid still as if she was dead. She managed to hide by crawling under the truck and waited until the elephants left.

She checked and found that her husband has died and then called relatives and police.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/around_thailand/30371444

thenation_logo.jpg

R.I.P, but I must add that elephants are very good judges of human character and nature. I'm not surprised the elephant attacked. An elephant would only attack if threatened. Self preservation.

Animal rights within Thailand is very poor. When I used to live in Surin, I would avoid the elephant festival simply because of the way inwhich those poor creatures were/are treated by their so called caring Thai handlers.

Elephants should be kept in well managed, secure and maintained reserves, and not the way inwhich they are treated and kept in such countries as Thailand that seemingly lack animal rights... 

4 hours ago, Sonhia said:

R.I.P, but I must add that elephants are very good judges of human character and nature. I'm not surprised the elephant attacked. An elephant would only attack if threatened. Self preservation.

Animal rights within Thailand is very poor. When I used to live in Surin, I would avoid the elephant festival simply because of the way inwhich those poor creatures were/are treated by their so called caring Thai handlers.

Elephants should be kept in well managed, secure and maintained reserves, and not the way inwhich they are treated and kept in such countries as Thailand that seemingly lack animal rights... 

Excellent. I entirely agree. The treatment of elephants in Buddhist Thailand is appalling. Cruel beyond belief.

Usual misguided sympathy for the elephants above ^^ 

These are WILD elephants, not elephants that have been mistreated and forced to perform for tourists. They are wild animals and will attack humans simply because they want to raid their farms. The sympathy should be for the poor farmers who are forced to sleep near their crops and fend off these nomadic herds as they launch their nighttime assaults on them and their farms. 

It is tragic that the deforestation of Thailand has led to this conflict, but preservation of human life has to come first

2 minutes ago, foxboy said:

These are WILD elephants, not elephants that have been mistreated and forced to perform for tourists. They are wild animals and will attack humans simply because they want to raid their farms. The sympathy should be for the poor farmers who are forced to sleep near their crops and fend off these nomadic herds as they launch their nighttime assaults on them and their farms. 

It is tragic that the deforestation of Thailand has led to this conflict, but preservation of human life has to come first

Why? Humans are not endangered species , elephants almost are 

17 minutes ago, foxboy said:

Let us  know when someone rips  out your teeth for a  few  bob.

2 hours ago, BestB said:

Why? Humans are not endangered species , elephants almost are 

so you think it's better to have humans dying rather than elephants? I volunteer YOU to sacrifice yourself first to give them a meal. Fancy it?

1 minute ago, foxboy said:

so you think it's better to have humans dying rather than elephants? I volunteer YOU to sacrifice yourself first to give them a meal. Fancy it?

Did not realize elephants ate meat or humans. Good to see you well informed

Archived