What types of fish are used at cheaper places?

Hal65

I notice the fish is often not specified. Had a white rice and fried fish meal from 7/11 and am curious what types of fish it may have been. Anyone know what the most commonly used fish are here?

Yes, Tilapia. It is always farmed, with massive amounts of antibiotics and chemicals. The name tilapia actually refers to several species of mostly freshwater fish that belong to the cichlid family. Although wild tilapia are native to Africa, the fish has been introduced throughout the world and is now farmed in over 135 countries. It is an ideal fish for farming because it doesn’t mind being crowded, grows quickly and consumes a cheap vegetarian diet. These qualities translate to a relatively inexpensive product compared to other types of seafood. The benefits and dangers of tilapia depend largely on differences in farming practices, which vary by location. China is by far the world’s largest producer of tilapia. They produce over 1.6 million metric tons annually and provide the majority of the United States’ tilapia imports.

Another article reported that the FDA rejected over 800 shipments of seafood from China from 20072012, including 187 shipments of tilapia. It cited the fish did not meet safety standards, as they were polluted with potentially harmful chemicals, including “veterinary drug residues and unsafe additives”. Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch also reported that several chemicals known to cause cancer and other toxic effects were still being used in Chinese tilapia farming despite some of them being banned for over a decade.

However, there are several reasons why you may want to avoid or limit tilapia. Plus, there have been reports of using animal feces as food and the continued use of banned chemicals at tilapia farms in China. Because of this, if you choose to eat tilapia, it is best to avoid fish from China.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/tilapia-fish#section5

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Fish with big heads, lots of bones and very little meat - usually overcooked and served up in a sauce not dissimilar from used dishwater!

Bones???? Surely most people would prefer their fish filleted.

I have just realised that this is in jest.  

Unless specified otherwise most of the fish served in restaurants here is farmed pangasius from Vietnam. It is, I would say, a poor substitute for real fish, tasteless, full of water, air, and poisonous chemicals. There are several videos on YouTube such as this one: 

which describe the unhealthy, if not dangerous, way that they are raised and produced. 

Best avoided.

35 minutes ago, essox essox said:

and folksTone....what about lemon sol where they come from??

Lemon sole mostly Northern hemisphere - In Thailand look in the fresh market for a flat fish similar to sole/flounder - Indian Halibut - I don't think it is farmed

1 hour ago, SpaceKadet said:
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:45 PM, ricklev said:

Almost always farmed Pangasius.

1 hour ago, SpaceKadet said:

Are these what are also termed "Whitefish" and sold as frozen fillets?

Yes that's them. Often labeled as Basa as well.

10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Yes that's them. Often labeled as Basa as well.

White Fish used to be a term used to mean shark along with Lemon Fish Rig & Flake - Shark used to be the industry staple & the cheapest commercial fish for fish & chips ( shark & greasies) & really good tasting fish too -  then it was the tasteless farmed Nile Perch from from North Africa & Asia, fobbed off as Barramundi in Australia in some places & now the dreaded Pangasius which is a type of catfish farmed in Vietnam & Thailand

Pangasius is called many different names to try & avoid negative perceptions: White Fish - Basa - Dory - Pacific Dory & most infamously I've seen it called John Dory in Thailand  - John Dory AKA Filet St Pierie, St Peters fish with the mystical finger mark is one of the finest eating fish there is.

The hormone/antibiotic/steroid enhanced farmed Sh*t fish Pangasius grows 3 times as fast as  normal in the wild & turns pink if you to attempt to grill under a salamander with stock or wine - what's that all about ?

Dystopian food  - for after the holocaust.

Would never eat any farm raised fish. Chemicals, antibiotics, pollution, contaminated feed,....its all in there. That goes for Thailand shrimp also.

Have to think twice about eating any fish from the poor polluted oceans. We are quickly destroying the earth. It's very sad.

On 6/22/2019 at 12:05 PM, possum1931 said:

Bones???? Surely most people would prefer their fish filleted.

I have just realised that this is in jest.  

I have not visited many places, restaurants or people's homes in Thailand where fish is served filleted. If it is chopped up in little pieces and usually in small quantities there are often still bones in it, not to mention, lumps of chillies, garlic, galangal, lemon grass, I don't want to eat!

You are right about most people (not Thai though) prefer filleted fish.

The unnamed fish is usually as said Pangasius. It is pretty tasteless, I used to eat the fillets, but moved up to Tilapia fillets as more taste. Yes the farmed fish may contain some residues from the medicines used on them, but to be honest I think are unlikely to do you harm unless you eat it all the time. Is the chicken and pork any better?

As to what they eat, largely irrelevant - one animals faeces is anothers food, the flesh ends up the same. You might get a slight muddy taste at worst. Pangasius and tilapia all feed lower in the food chain, so do not concentrate toxins much. Many of the 'best' fish are higher up the food chain and concentrate these toxins - do not eat salmon and tuna all the time!

They do farm Barramundi in Thailand, but not Nile Perch. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/24/2019 at 5:29 AM, geisha said:

(What’s the salted fish they bbq in the’ markets in Thailand  ?And why do they offer so much river prawns? Personally I don’t like them, much prefer fresh sea prawns.

Tilapia, Thais call it plah nin, they are actually saying Nile as the fish is known as Nile Tilapia, but the word Nile gets turned into Nin in the translation process. Anyway, the Tilapia encased in salt bbq'd in the markets is ok, a million times better than the vile Pangasius/Dory/Basa. Personally my favorite fish in Thailand are the plah tu, the little mackerels. 

Archived