MG makes its ZS electric vehicle affordable

MG makes its ZS electric vehicle affordable

By The Nation 

e35ea543c756bf6a1cc04a6e222e26d3.jpeg

MG has shocked the market with the pricing of its ZS EV (electric vehicle), but in a good way.

The ZS EV, imported from China, now comes with a highly attractive price tag of Bt1.19 million, making it one of the cheapest EV sedans in the market.

Plus, for the first 1,000 customers, MG is giving a free home-charging unit worth Bt45,000, free installation worth Bt20,000 as well as free insurance and unlimited mileage warranty on the battery for eight years.

The ZS EV gets its power from a 44.5kWh water-cooled battery with a rapid charging ability (0 to 80 per cent in 43 minutes). A normal charge from a 7kWh wall unit can take up to 6.5 hours (0 to 100 per cent).

Maximum output is declared at 150 horsepower, while MG claims a range of as much as 428km (down to 335km according to the NEDC standard).

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30371458

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-20

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be many years before all electric cars can even be considered here. The infrastructure for normal consumption is hardly robust never mind for cars. My Son has a Tesla, he asked if I had ever seen one here in Thailand, I haven't stopped laughing. If there is one around, goodness knows how practical it is here. Consigned to Bangkok and district I bet. Has anyone seen or heard of a Tesla in LOS?  

At that price I may be tempted for my regular commute (120km per day).

Always need the backup of an ICE vehicle if the juice has been off and you didn't get a full charge.

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

It will be many years before all electric cars can even be considered here. The infrastructure for normal consumption is hardly robust never mind for cars. My Son has a Tesla, he asked if I had ever seen one here in Thailand, I haven't stopped laughing. If there is one around, goodness knows how practical it is here. Consigned to Bangkok and district I bet. Has anyone seen or heard of a Tesla in LOS?  

Seen about 6 in total.

4 in Bangkok. The owner of Ducati Vibhavadi owns a Tesla Model X, so go to the parking lot at Ducati Vibhavadi and you'll see one parked there.

Saw one in Bang Saen at the market.

10 hours ago, MatteoBassini said:

Seen about 6 in total.

4 in Bangkok. The owner of Ducati Vibhavadi owns a Tesla Model X, so go to the parking lot at Ducati Vibhavadi and you'll see one parked there.

Saw one in Bang Saen at the market.

Thanks for that. I guess in Bangkok it would work out, as much as any car in that City is a good thing. I wonder about further afield.  At Easter my son had a low power when he arrived at our holiday hotel.  He connected to the domestic feed and it was 36 hours before he had  enough workable power to get home. Without a National Infrastructure of Tesla fast chargers, it would be  a big risk to try to travel far from Bangkok.  Still, they do look good. 

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The ZS EV, imported from China, now comes with a highly attractive price tag of Bt1.19 million, making it one of the cheapest EV sedans in the market.

Cheapest is still waaaaaay out of reach for the vast majority of Thais, as they live on less than a farang would get out of bed for.

Never mind, the advertisers can continue to live in their little bubble where something that costs over a million baht is considered "affordable".

:coffee1:

So a 7kWh socket for 6.5 hrs. How much is Baht in baht? Is that about 200 baht for 6.5 hrs?  So 335kms for 204 baht? Is 0.6 baht per kms. If the 335 includes AC etc. 

So one could in theory drive to Pattaya and back but not Hua Hin?

20 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Yes, there have been articles published about Tesla (grey market) here.

On 6/21/2019 at 2:31 PM, transam said:

Think most of us have bought cheap Chinese electrical stuff in the past...Longevity....Naaaaaaaaaaaah...????

I think you’ll find a large proportion of all electrical stuff is made in China ,including all Apple products. Not sure I’d buy an MG at this stage vs Japanese but that the product will become comparable eventually is unquestionable. Given your moniker I Don’t think American cars are the last word in quality.

1 minute ago, nchuckle said:

I think you’ll find a large proportion of all electrical stuff is made in China ,including all Apple products. Not sure I’d buy an MG at this stage vs Japanese but that the product will become comparable eventually is unquestionable. Given your moniker I Don’t think American cars are the last word in quality.

My "moniker" was purely a fun ride, my Merc and Volvo did the day to day stuff.

tease.gif.44bdec4ff421ada2c54b06145fd7bb3c.gif

When the battery goes flat in a Bangkok traffic jam, can you nip into 7-11 for a powerbank to get you home? ????

But great value for markets with predictable traffic and more charging points.  

Though I noticed central has charging point parking spaces now - but they are filled with the usual (non electric) whute Mercs.

5 hours ago, transam said:

My "moniker" was purely a fun ride, my Merc and Volvo did the day to day stuff.

tease.gif.44bdec4ff421ada2c54b06145fd7bb3c.gif

Good to have a fun ride although given costs of U.K. multiple ownership I settled on a BMW M3 for shopping ,school runs,carrying 5 people AND great fun on track days.

19 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Good to have a fun ride although given costs of U.K. multiple ownership I settled on a BMW M3 for shopping ,school runs,carrying 5 people AND great fun on track days.

I just love old fashion V8 sounds....

I have seen a Tesla in Udon Thani outside my daughters school ….

Yes, electric cars too expensive and most people would need a new electric supply for the charger. The real opportunity is for electric bikes/motorbikes/trikes. Need far less power to charge, so could do in many homes, and much more affordable. I have my eye on a small tuk-tuk version, about 45,000 baht. Just want to piss off the Tesla owner!

18 hours ago, rickudon said:

I have seen a Tesla in Udon Thani outside my daughters school ….

Yes, electric cars too expensive and most people would need a new electric supply for the charger. The real opportunity is for electric bikes/motorbikes/trikes. Need far less power to charge, so could do in many homes, and much more affordable. I have my eye on a small tuk-tuk version, about 45,000 baht. Just want to piss off the Tesla owner!

MG are giving & installing the necessary hardware to charge - i would definitely consider an electric bike 

I presume MG are just supplying the charger and it's connections. Most house supplies are 15 or 30 amps (older thai houses usually 5 amps). You turn on your fast charger, may blow your fuse/breaker. Not clear if the offer is a fast charger or not. The standard charger draws 7 kw, how many houses use that much now …..

10 hours ago, rickudon said:

I presume MG are just supplying the charger and it's connections. Most house supplies are 15 or 30 amps (older thai houses usually 5 amps). You turn on your fast charger, may blow your fuse/breaker. Not clear if the offer is a fast charger or not. The standard charger draws 7 kw, how many houses use that much now …..

More explanation in the article, but its a start for sure

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, macahoom said:

I just ordered one yesterday.

They say delivery in 1-2 months.

I'll report back when I have it in my garage and have been driving/charging it for a few days.

May I ask why you decided to buy one...?

10 minutes ago, transam said:

May I ask why you decided to buy one...?

The main reason: The price.

Unlike very other car in Thailand, it's not at least double the price (approximately) of the same car in UK, Europe or USA. 

It's just slightly more expensive than the UK price. 

I'm intrigued by the whole electric concept. Even though I think all the new MGs are ugly and cheap looking, I still want it.

I test drove it. The acceleration from stop is funny - in a good way. Gonna be a laugh at traffic lights!

Archived