MG makes its ZS electric vehicle affordable

54 minutes ago, tifino said:

so, along with all the above, added to what @Bandersnatch started off with; Is there any (gps) related feature that points you towards convenient charging stations?  or do you have to ust relay on the google maps for that as well? 

Looking at Google maps, for 'EV Charging Stations' shows a bleak outlook currently for longer distance journeys.  

Apart from the multitudes around the Bangkok area, the pickings are slim unless you are aiming for SamutSongkhram, Pattaya, or ChiangMai if you are really daring fate in the eye 

There is Satnav in the car but I haven't used it yet. 

Other than chargers in a few hotels in Phuket and, maybe, one in Central Festival, I have not heard of any others.

I didn't buy the car to travel outside of Phuket so the availability of chargers does not interest me. Sorry.

The MG showroom have told me they will soon have a fast charger (35 minutes) onsite and that they will allow me to use it for free. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tifino said:

so, along with all the above, added to what @Bandersnatch started off with; Is there any (gps) related feature that points you towards convenient charging stations?  or do you have to ust relay on the google maps for that as well? 

Looking at Google maps, for 'EV Charging Stations' shows a bleak outlook currently for longer distance journeys.  

Apart from the multitudes around the Bangkok area, the pickings are slim unless you are aiming for SamutSongkhram, Pattaya, or ChiangMai if you are really daring fate in the eye 

Download and try the EA Anywhere and MEA EV Apps - they list chargers throughout the country with directions shown on Google Maps, which should appear on Apple Car Play/Android auto on the car's infotainment system.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mistral53 said:

I am curious - you had your MG EV for around two months, what is your conclusion so far? the good? the bad?

Yeh, I've had it for over two months. I love it!

What I like most about the car: 1) The acceleration. 2) The quietness and smoothness of it. 3) The comfort, and I'm not just talking about the physical comfort - it's also comfortable to drive. 4) Being able to turn on the aircon remotely using an app in my phone. 5) Being able to check my tyre pressures by looking at my phone and getting a warning on my phone if the pressure drops too low. 5) The KERS which is, in effect, an alternative braking system which recharges the battery whenever it is used. This means that brakes are rarely used except in an emergency or at the last second when bringing the car to a complete stop. 6) The fact that I can go to Central and charge the car for free (if someone is not already using it).

What I don't like: The adaptive cruise control which feels like I'm in a car being driven by a very poor driver. It also makes me concentrate more because I worry it will make a mistake and cause an accident. Not comfortable! Unfortunately I cannot switch it to basic cruise control which I loved on my previous car and used very often.

There are a few other electronic things I don't like, but they are very minor niggles. 

After driving the MG for a few weeks, I drove a 6 month old petrol car and, relatively, it felt clunky, noisy and sluggish. That was quite a shock. I have no doubt I will never buy another petrol or diesel car. Very impressed! 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Saw a few of these (3) on a recent road trip to CM , even saw one far from civilisation in Mae Hong Son !!

Do they only come in that powder blue colour ??

Yes, they're only available in Thailand in blue. If you see a blue one, you know it's electric.

Strangely, I saw a creamy white one in Phuket the other day. I double checked by looking to see if it had an exhaust pipe - no, so it was definitely electric. I asked about it in the MG showroom and they told me someone had wrapped that car. 

I had to cancel the order I had for my MG EV, due to problems we have been having with our solar inverter. Unfortunately I lost my 5,000 Baht deposit, but I didn't want to have an electric car sitting on the drive and have no way of charging it. We only have a 15A grid connection, because I was only expecting to use the grid for backup charging of the batteries and according to MG you need at least a 30A connection to charge from the grid using their supplied 7Kw home charger.

There is a public charger at Robinson here in Surin, and at the MG dealers but I ordered an EV to use excess power from my solar system.  If we get the inverter sorted I will consider ordering again. I still think the MG is the best value EV available in Thailand.

15 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I had to cancel the order I had for my MG EV, due to problems we have been having with our solar inverter. Unfortunately I lost my 5,000 Baht deposit, but I didn't want to have an electric car sitting on the drive and have no way of charging it. We only have a 15A grid connection, because I was only expecting to use the grid for backup charging of the batteries and according to MG you need at least a 30A connection to charge from the grid using their supplied 7Kw home charger.

There is a public charger at Robinson here in Surin, and at the MG dealers but I ordered an EV to use excess power from my solar system.  If we get the inverter sorted I will consider ordering again. I still think the MG is the best value EV available in Thailand.

Sorry to hear you had to cancel.

Can I ask: Is it a 7Kw or rapid charger in Robinson? And do you have to pay to use it?

I agree with you that the MG is the best value EV available here. In fact, because of the no excise duty, it's the best value EV by a long way.

2 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Sorry to hear you had to cancel.

Can I ask: Is it a 7Kw or rapid charger in Robinson? And do you have to pay to use it?

I agree with you that the MG is the best value EV available here. In fact, because of the no excise duty, it's the best value EV by a long way.

According to the EV anywhere app it is a Type 2 (AC) charger probably around 7kw. There is also a CCS 2(DC) 135kw charger listed but it says Not Available, probably "coming soon" I think it costs 200 Baht per hour to use, but you do get a VIP Parking spot near the entrance. The MG dealer told me that the charger at their showroom was free to use.

I have not given up on the MG completely, but need to get the inverter problem resolved first. The reseller is now talking about trying to get me a different model as it he has been unable to fix it, but it won't be easy as it needs to be 10Kw 192v and will have to be specially made. 

40 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

We only have a 15A grid connection,

Our 15A connection is a 15/45A and I believe that is standard in Thailand. The meter is calibrated at 15A, but you can draw up to 45A, plenty to charge your EV. Details in the electrical forum.

11 minutes ago, beddhist said:

Our 15A connection is a 15/45A and I believe that is standard in Thailand. The meter is calibrated at 15A, but you can draw up to 45A, plenty to charge your EV. Details in the electrical forum.

You could be right, but the MG home charger installer's first question when he did the site survey was did we have a 15 or 30A connection? When I told him 15A he said it would not support a 7Kw home charger. He only agreed to install after I showed him my 10 Kw solar system.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived