Thai road carnage: deaths top 7,000 this year

webfact

Thailand's road carnage: Deaths top 7,000 this year

7pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that road deaths at the scene of accidents in the kingdom has now passed 7,000 in 2019. 

With 51 deaths on Monday the figure is now at 7,078 for the year. 

They cautioned that this is ONLY those that die at the scene. In reality the figure is much higher when all fatalities are totted up. 

7pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Earlier this month the head of Thailand's anti-drink driving foundation Dr Thaejing Siriphanich put the annual death toll on Thai roads as about 24,000.

This would mean that between 65-70 die on average every single day in Thailand. 

Daily News - in their continuing campaign to raise awareness about the carnage on the Thai roads - highlighted tailgating as a particular problem.

They said that three occupants in a pick-up - two men and a woman - were killed on Monday when their vehicle went into the back of a ten wheel truck in Sadao, Songkhla in southern Thailand.  

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-19
  • Sad 1

I have come to realise that traffic road rules enforcement is pretty much selective, meaning, you will find the biggest concentrations of police  in places where foreigners and well to do locals driving, like Pattaya and other destination populated by the above, thus more revenues and bribes, while the majority of up country rural roads are pretty much deserted save for a road block here and there and there where's most of the deaths occurred, why is it so and under whose watch this is happening? this is a question for the the ages and answer is blowing in the wind...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Can't help but wonder if the government do nothing as they own shares in car sales plants (or funeral sales) ! The more crashes and deaths the more profit !

As cynical as I am, that thought had never occurred to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well done Thailand.

The best, of the best, of the best.

Truly a shameful state of affairs.

Lets have a big hand,  for the charcoal and saffron robe sellers. looks like,  they are all set for a bumper year again. 

Nice one. :jap:

Ps Good to see they use there police resources so well.

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Justgrazing said.....Quite often as soon as the wreckage is cleared the road is open again and any possible incriminating evidence lost ..NO At least they put SPRAY Paint Markings at the Scene !!!

Yes sure they may spray mark the vehicle positions on the road but that will not always tell the whole picture .. EG the UK plod have a method of calculating a vehicle's speed from any skid marks left on the road surface taking into account the type of surface as some can be " grippier " than others .. They take it all quite seriously .. Again whilst I'm not disagreeing the Thai police may spray paint the road surface I've not seen a serious injury or fatal accident investigated in such detail .. Its not only the UK either a lot of European countries take road safety seriously .. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Absolutely .. Alluded to this before I used to attend the aftermath of serious RTA's with my recovery truck and many times the Old Bill would shut the road off to conduct their investigations often with a dedicated accident investigator .. High res' photos , 3d mapping , numerous measurements , possible CCTV footage to he looked at .. Didn't matter how long it took or how many people were inconvenienced , the road remained shut until they finished their work .. All of this is done as its necessary to ascertain if the cause of the accident was criminal as drunk/drug/dangerous driving etc .. How often here does that happen .. Quite often as soon as the wreckage is cleared the road is open again and any possible incriminating evidence lost .. 

I see you're 'old school' like me, referring to RTA's.

I've been watching some UK traffic police documentaries recently. The phrase used now is RTC for Road Traffic Collision.

One of the cops was saying it had been changed, as the word Accident in RTA gave the impression that no one was to blame.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Justgrazing said:

This should be No1 priority for the P M now without exception .. Casualty rates like that are not out of place in a warzone so rather than pfaffing around with stuff minions could do he could direct his efforts into trying to reduce such a catastrophic toll for the good of all .. 

Does that increase my commission, oop's mean consulting fee on the submarine contract - - - - no, well let it be, it can  sort itself out. 

Edited by Artisi