Thai road carnage: deaths top 7,000 this year

webfact

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

DSD, your comment about 'spatial awareness' is just spot on, it really is.

I'm sure most of us must have cringed many times when we spot a potentially dangerous situation appearing, only for locals to look surprised at our concern.

Or do we as ferangs just 'worry too mutt'?

You worry too much. Thai people say “ch” at the end of a word as t sound. Because of the rules with ช. We can start the word with “ch” sound but not at the end.

yinns road safety tips

1) drive a car. Motorbike is dangerous. Pick up go over too easy. Van not safe

2) Wear a seatbelt

3) don’t go fast

4) if have rain, turn on light, go slow

5) not drunk

only about ten people per day die in car crash in Thailand. I don’t think happen to many foreigner. 30 million per year come to Thailand.

How many tourist really die in a car crash? Anyone?

And 80% of that 10 per day is drunk or speed. No seatbelt.

So if you follow Yinns safety, only two per day. You only going to die if very, very unlucky.

Which is less than most countries.

I don’t know anyone who ever die in a car crash.

pakistan, India, China, Nigeria, Congo, Russia, Brazil and USA have more road deaths than Thailand. A lot.

Enjoy your stay in Thailand. Should be ok

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

Well done Thailand.

The best, of the best, of the best.

Truly a shameful state of affairs.

Lets have a big hand,  for the charcoal and saffron robe sellers. looks like,  they are all set for a bumper year again. 

Nice one. :jap:

Ps Good to see they use there police resources so well.

You happy about it?

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Absolutely .. Alluded to this before I used to attend the aftermath of serious RTA's with my recovery truck and many times the Old Bill would shut the road off to conduct their investigations often with a dedicated accident investigator .. High res' photos , 3d mapping , numerous measurements , possible CCTV footage to he looked at .. Didn't matter how long it took or how many people were inconvenienced , the road remained shut until they finished their work .. All of this is done as its necessary to ascertain if the cause of the accident was criminal as drunk/drug/dangerous driving etc .. How often here does that happen .. Quite often as soon as the wreckage is cleared the road is open again and any possible incriminating evidence lost .. 

Now be fair, they usually spray a white outline around any vehicles and bodies, I'm sure that they then photograph it with a smartphone...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

and who's watch is it ?

I believe DP Prawit is the man ultimately responsible for road safety

You can't possibly watch all those watches and be on watch to watch the road safety issue, how much watching can a watchman do in a days watching. 

• Haha 2

We all know how bad the driving is here, and as usual the government never take any action.

One thing I can never get my head around here is people do things so slowly, so lethargically, without any pace 99% of the time. Yet as soon as they're on a motorbike or in a car, they're the complete opposite. Men and women. 

15 minutes ago, Yinn said:

You worry too much. Thai people say “ch” at the end of a word as t sound. Because of the rules with ช. We can start the word with “ch” sound but not at the end.

yinns road safety tips

1) drive a car. Motorbike is dangerous. Pick up go over too easy. Van not safe

2) Wear a seatbelt

3) don’t go fast

4) if have rain, turn on light, go slow

5) not drunk

only about ten people per day die in car crash in Thailand. I don’t think happen to many foreigner. 30 million per year come to Thailand.

How many tourist really die in a car crash? Anyone?

And 80% of that 10 per day is drunk or speed. No seatbelt.

So if you follow Yinns safety, only two per day. You only going to die if very, very unlucky.

Which is less than most countries.

I don’t know anyone who ever die in a car crash.

pakistan, India, China, Nigeria, Congo, Russia, Brazil and USA have more road deaths than Thailand. A lot.

Enjoy your stay in Thailand. Should be ok

So you are saying that the official figures grossly exaggerate the number of road deaths and that only you know the true figure.

Wow thanks for coming on here, we would not have known otherwise.

Er, why are the official figures just lies?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucius verus said:

Thai junta response ? Nothing

farang cannot understand Thailand ..:crying:

but we know how to count ...
For example 7078 dead on the road, not in the hospital and within 30 days (European standards) in less than a year is huge;
France has as many inhabitants as Thailand,

car and truck traffic is 10 times larger;

The number of deaths on the roads is about 3,000 a year;(  european standards )
and this country is still far from being the most virtuous;

31 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Don't forget it's not just the thais. Some of the farangs are as bad. They think because there are no road rules here they can drive like maniacs.

How many foreigners die on the roads here? I’ll wait while you go dig up that shocking number.

27 minutes ago, Yinn said:

pakistan, India, China, Nigeria, Congo, Russia, Brazil and USA have more road deaths than Thailand.

Alright and have also  much more inhabitants ;

Calculations are not raw but in relation to the number of inhabitants of each country;
Compare China with 1.3 billion people to Thailand with only 68 million people is like comparing a pear with a strawberry.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

like comparing a pear with a strawberry

Hahaha .. Nice line that .. may I have permission to use it in future if I need to use an original illustration of comparison .. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:
37 minutes ago, Yinn said:

pakistan, India, China, Nigeria, Congo, Russia, Brazil and USA have more road deaths than Thailand.

Alright and have also  much more inhabitants ;

Calculations are not raw but in relation to the number of inhabitants of each country;
Compare China with 1.3 billion people to Thailand with only 68 million people is like comparing a pear with a strawberry. 

I'm just waiting the reply, 'but you can put cream on both pears and strawberries."

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Funny, I got the impression he could be a hermit living in a cave from the way the post was written, so perhaps he doesn't know anyone who died (even in a car crash).

Oops,  just noticed, says Female in Profile avatar. :shock1:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stanleycoin said:
7 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Funny, I got the impression he could be a hermit living in a cave from the way the post was written, so perhaps he doesn't know anyone who died (even in a car crash).

Oops,  just noticed, says Female in Profile avatar. :shock1:

I rest my case.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I seem to remember the last time looked at the WHO figures for road deaths by country, which quote deaths per 100,000 of population, Thailand was about 32-ish. The UK was 3.2 - 10% of Thailand's figure.

Even though the figures for all countries are adjusted to 100K population, Thailand and the UK have a similar-ish size country, with almost identical total population - 70 million.

So as you say, it should be a number one priority. The reason it will never be - no one in government gives a shit about deaths of their countrymen, they only want to know how much money they can make out of them.

Thailand is more double the size of the UK but you're right about the population. 

I did my masters degree in Thailand at a good international university and met some really great students. This Thai lady (who spoke three languages and was brilliant) summed it up about Thais and their driving habits. According to her, Thais are not taught any basic critical thinking skills during their formative years. Hence, their inability to make intelligent, rational decisions.  Sums it up quite well to me. Neighboring SEA countries do not have the same road fatalities as Thailand. 

• Like 2