BANGKOK
webfact

Thai road carnage: deaths top 7,000 this year

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

they really have very little or no spatial awareness of others.

Precisely, I often wonder if Thais are impaired in some way in this regard. It's baffling and so ubiquitous that it genuinely makes me wonder - you see examples of it everywhere:

- walking around the cities here 

- shopping

- driving

It all adds up to the same likely mental deficit. 

' spatial awareness in humans is a function largely confined to the right superior temporal cortex '

Maybe they don't have one or it's severely underdeveloped??? 😜 It seems to be an issue across Asia actually, but most certainly in Thailand.

Again, harsh but true - the more dimnos that kill themselves because of dangerous and incompetent driving, I would hope, the fewer of them around to hurt more responsible others. Of course, there's always the next generation. I just hope something changes for the better, for their sake... shan't hold my breath.

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Thailand is more double the size of the UK but you're right about the population. 

Oh yes, you're quite correct. I've just looked it up, although in my defence your honour I did say 'similar-ish', so not ten or twenty times as large.

I stand sit corrected.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kritsana77 said:

Neighboring SEA countries do not have the same road fatalities as Thailand.

Not yet, 

Vietnam twenty years ago has taken drastic measures, such as the compulsory wearing of helmets for motorcyclists with severe fines and often the confiscation of the vehicle;
If you go to this country you will see rare motorcyclists without helmet unlike Thailand we see rare motorcyclists with helmet fasteners properly;

On the other hand, Cambodia is following the wrong path that Thailand began to take 30 years ago;
see this article published today in Phnom Penh Post

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/lifestyle-creativity-innovation/using-tech-innovation-tackle-cambodias-rampant-road-deaths?utm_source=Phnompenh+Post+Main+List&utm_campaign=c21d96826f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_06_19_04_05&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_690109a91f-c21d96826f-62291505

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kritsana77 said:

I did my masters degree in Thailand at a good international university and met some really great students. This Thai lady (who spoke three languages and was brilliant) summed it up about Thais and their driving habits. According to her, Thais are not taught any basic critical thinking skills during their formative years. Hence, their inability to make intelligent, rational decisions.  Sums it up quite well to me. Neighboring SEA countries do not have the same road fatalities as Thailand. 

Something I've been saying years, that until they are encouraged to think nothing will change.

We all know the powers at the top want to prevent any critical thinking for as long a possible, because as soon as that happens and the population realise what a shit deal they've been getting for centuries, it will be the start of an uprising.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Can't help but wonder if the government do nothing as they own shares in car sales plants (or funeral sales) ! The more crashes and deaths the more profit !

Please don't dig it up we will only get scared....

If it stops at 7,000 for 6 months, which I don't believe, it would be a significant improvement!

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

This should be No1 priority for the P M now without exception .. Casualty rates like that are not out of place in a warzone so rather than pfaffing around with stuff minions could do he could direct his efforts into trying to reduce such a catastrophic toll for the good of all .. 

it is the political nature of it that means it will not be fixed especially by current PM, whoever pushes for proper driving enforced by financial penalties will not survive an election

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

No surprises here, as accidents will happen on a very regular basis, when a significant chunk of those using the roads really shouldn't be.  I used to think that many motorists here were just plain rude, ignorant and selfish, but I now believe it is just that they really have very little or no spatial awareness of others. It is the same in 7/11 or the supermarket, where they stand in the middle of an aisle blocking it, totally unaware someone is behind them, so it is the same on the roads. They seem so preoccupied with doing their thing, they don't comprehend that they need to take other vehicles into consideration. That and driving around drunk and at crazy speeds all combine to produce such terrible casualty statistics. Drive super carefully folks, lets not add to the numbers.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

DSD, your comment about 'spatial awareness' is just spot on, it really is.

I'm sure most of us must have cringed many times when we spot a potentially dangerous situation appearing, only for locals to look surprised at our concern.

Or do we as ferangs just 'worry too mutt'?

Maybe it's a combination of lack of spatial awareness AND plain ignorance i.e. 'if you're in such a hurry why don't you use another aisle, or drive around me' mentality? And that's when they are sober!

And yes I guess they do think foreigners are so easily scared of this and that. I also think it is the 'mai phen rai' mindset. That things will be ok, and will take care of themselves. They just 'go for the moment', sparing no thoughts of what might lay ahead. For example, they'd drive out onto the main road from a side-lane, thinking whoever is coming will see them and brake. They don't think about closure speed etc. and that the car coming towards them won't be able to stop even if it had reverse thrusters. Ditto people riding without helmets and all other nuances we see on Thai roads. They only realise things can go wrong, when they actually do go wrong. Fatally so, on some occasions.

• Like 2

My latest pet peeve has become U-turns about 100m before the biggest intersections in town.

Still won't top traffic police manually changing trafficlight times. I don't think anything will.

3 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Nah 'Sof it's 'cos we don't believe in the power of the amulet and are thus condemned to a life of awareness of what is going on around .. 

Sure and they believe that wearing a necklace with a casting of a Buda face attached to it will deflect a bullet coming to them . But its not safe walking or waiting for the bus at the bus stop.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

No surprises here, as accidents will happen on a very regular basis, when a significant chunk of those using the roads really shouldn't be.  I used to think that many motorists here were just plain rude, ignorant and selfish, but I now believe it is just that they really have very little or no spatial awareness of others. It is the same in 7/11 or the supermarket, where they stand in the middle of an aisle blocking it, totally unaware someone is behind them, so it is the same on the roads. They seem so preoccupied with doing their thing, they don't comprehend that they need to take other vehicles into consideration. That and driving around drunk and at crazy speeds all combine to produce such terrible casualty statistics. Drive super carefully folks, lets not add to the numbers.

You can drive very carefully but still get involved in an accident if the others drivers are driving carelessly. I don't drive but l look out on what's going on ,l walk towards oncoming traffic to be sure.

• Like 1