BANGKOK 16 July 2019 03:54
AdamTheFarang

Retirement Visa only 3 months now?

Hi,

Is it correct Retirement Visas are only 3 months now instead of 1 year with 90 day reporting?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AdamTheFarang said:

Where can you get 1 year?

O-A visa in your home country.

Annual extensions based on retirement in Thailand.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

O-A visa in your home country.

Annual extensions based on retirement in Thailand.

Gets you 2 years.

I got my last one in Phuket. Are they still widely available in Thailand?

Just now, marcusarelus said:

Gets you 2 years.

Really not 10 + 2 = 16 in your world!

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, AdamTheFarang said:

I got my last one in Phuket. Are they still widely available in Thailand?

Visa have never been available *in* Thailand.

You probably want talk about Extensions,

and then should rewrite your first message to say clearly what you meant and asked...

And BTW Retirement Extension still are 1 year, and most people don't have to come back for money reporting.

Edited by Pattaya46

Removed a troll post.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

Visas and extensions commonly used by retirees

Visas

Generally only available from a Thai embassy/consulate outside Thailand:

Non O-A (long stay) visa: valid for one year from date of issue; gives one-year stay each time you enter during the validity period of the visa; can allow almost two years total stay in Thailand with careful use.

Non O visa: single entry: valid for 90 days from date of issue; allows a single 90-day stay; multiple entry: valid for one year from date of issue; allows unlimited 90-day stays during the validity period of the visa; can allow nearly 15 months total stay in Thailand with careful use
[The multiple entry Non O appears to be on the way out, and is not available now from most embassies/consulates. In particular, the London Embassy has just stopped issuing multiple entry Non O visas to those drawing a UK state pension.]

Extensions

Only available from an immigration office in Thailand, and extends the allowed period of stay in Thailand:

Retirement extension: gives an extra one-year permission to stay for those over 50 years old and meeting certain financial criteria.

Spouse/Child extension: available only to those with Thai spouse or Thai child; gives an extra one year permission to stay with reduce financial criteria compared to the retirement extension.

Hi BritTim

I am a little confused (Does'nt take much) When you say The multiple entry Non O appears to be on the way out, and is not available now

I take it this is not referring to the Non O-A (Long stay) which is also a Multiple entry O albeit with a A (O-A)

Clarification would be most welcome

Regards

TB

1 hour ago, tigerbalm said:

I am a little confused (Does'nt take much) When you say The multiple entry Non O appears to be on the way out, and is not available now

I take it this is not referring to the Non O-A (Long stay) which is also a Multiple entry O albeit with a A (O-A)

In spite of the somewhat similar names, the Non O-A and Non O are completely different visas, with completely different requirements. It is important not to confuse them. For the future, it appears they are steering you towards either the Non O-A (long stay) visa, or using the single entry Non O in conjunction with (in country) extensions of stay.

9 hours ago, AdamTheFarang said:

Really not 10 + 2 = 16 in your world!

O-A visa in your home country. Annual extensions based on retirement in Thailand.  2 years.  

• Like 1

I think the OP is asking about retirement extensions in country, and the possibility they may only give a three month stay to check if the 800k amount has remained in the bank for that 3 months after issue.

If so, the answer for the Phuket office is no. (Although there may be an isolated case).  Apparently they will check at the next yearly extension and a breach may result in refusal then.