Retirement Visa only 3 months now?

7 minutes ago, AdamTheFarang said:

I got my last one in Phuket. Are they still widely available in Thailand?

Visa have never been available *in* Thailand.

You probably want talk about Extensions,

and then should rewrite your first message to say clearly what you meant and asked...

And BTW Retirement Extension still are 1 year, and most people don't have to come back for money reporting.

Edited by Pattaya46

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

Visas and extensions commonly used by retirees

Visas

Generally only available from a Thai embassy/consulate outside Thailand:

Non O-A (long stay) visa: valid for one year from date of issue; gives one-year stay each time you enter during the validity period of the visa; can allow almost two years total stay in Thailand with careful use.

Non O visa: single entry: valid for 90 days from date of issue; allows a single 90-day stay; multiple entry: valid for one year from date of issue; allows unlimited 90-day stays during the validity period of the visa; can allow nearly 15 months total stay in Thailand with careful use
[The multiple entry Non O appears to be on the way out, and is not available now from most embassies/consulates. In particular, the London Embassy has just stopped issuing multiple entry Non O visas to those drawing a UK state pension.]

Extensions

Only available from an immigration office in Thailand, and extends the allowed period of stay in Thailand:

Retirement extension: gives an extra one-year permission to stay for those over 50 years old and meeting certain financial criteria.

Spouse/Child extension: available only to those with Thai spouse or Thai child; gives an extra one year permission to stay with reduce financial criteria compared to the retirement extension.

Hi BritTim

I am a little confused (Does'nt take much) When you say The multiple entry Non O appears to be on the way out, and is not available now

I take it this is not referring to the Non O-A (Long stay) which is also a Multiple entry O albeit with a A (O-A)

Clarification would be most welcome

Regards

TB

1 hour ago, tigerbalm said:

I am a little confused (Does'nt take much) When you say The multiple entry Non O appears to be on the way out, and is not available now

I take it this is not referring to the Non O-A (Long stay) which is also a Multiple entry O albeit with a A (O-A)

In spite of the somewhat similar names, the Non O-A and Non O are completely different visas, with completely different requirements. It is important not to confuse them. For the future, it appears they are steering you towards either the Non O-A (long stay) visa, or using the single entry Non O in conjunction with (in country) extensions of stay.

I think the OP is asking about retirement extensions in country, and the possibility they may only give a three month stay to check if the 800k amount has remained in the bank for that 3 months after issue.

If so, the answer for the Phuket office is no. (Although there may be an isolated case).  Apparently they will check at the next yearly extension and a breach may result in refusal then.

10 hours ago, AdamTheFarang said:

I got my last one in Phuket. Are they still widely available in Thailand?

You can get an extension, usually 12 months, or change to a Non-Imm  entry, 90 days. 

I have not heard of any place giving only 3 month extension of stay for retirement.

I have heard of a few places (Jomtien comes to mind) requiring people who use the 800k in the bank method to return after 3 months with updated bank book to show that the 800k is still there. But they get 1 year extendion...this is just an additional Imm Office specific reporting requirement. Which most offices do not impose.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I think the OP is asking about retirement extensions in country, and the possibility they may only give a three month stay to check if the 800k amount has remained in the bank for that 3 months after issue.

If so, the answer for the Phuket office is no. (Although there may be an isolated case).  Apparently they will check at the next yearly extension and a breach may result in refusal then.

yesterday i did my 1 year in Phuket.

The officer told me to keep 800,000 in the bank for 3 months and than 400,000 till 2 months before next extension was due and than top it back to 800,000 or i would NOT get my next extension.

nothing on paper

SO,  take all my money out monday,  when my extension expires, ( july 2020) head to Laos and get a new single entry  O visa, put 800,000 in so its there 2 months before i do the next extension...

Take the 800,000 and put it in a Cambodian financial institute at 7%

rather than leave it in SCB at 1.2%

• Thanks 1

Sorry...but with all the visa confusion as of late, I think that any topic should be submitted to Ubonjoe or someone else for review/approval before it gets posted. Questions like this only create more confusion anxiety and wasted time.

• Like 1

My guess is that the OP was probably referring to the strange bird which is a CONVERSION of a 30 day stamp or tourist visa into a 90 day O visa DONE IN THAILAND, when done as part of the first step where the second step is an annual extension based on retirement. That CONVERSION step is indeed getting a visa in Thailand. It's been an option and is still an option. That visa has always been 90 days, never one year. The second step extension has always been one year, not 90 days.

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

O-A visa in your home country. Annual extensions based on retirement in Thailand.  2 years.  

You you can get up to one year while the visa remains valid and by exiting and returning just before the visa expires you'll get a new one year permission to stay, so nearly two years before needing to apply for an annual extension.

During the second year, after the visa expires, you'll need a re-entry permit if you want to leave and returning to Thailand if you want to preserve your permission to stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

You you can get up to one year while the visa remains valid and by exiting and returning just before the visa expires you'll get a new one year permission to stay, so nearly two years before needing to apply for an annual extension.

During the second year, after the visa expires, you'll need a re-entry permit if you want to leave and returning to Thailand if you want to preserve your permission to stay.

Spot on.

Exactly.

100% correct.

Too true.

Bl88dy oath mate.

To the letter.

????

8 hours ago, Airalee said:

Sorry...but with all the visa confusion as of late, I think that any topic should be submitted to Ubonjoe or someone else for review/approval before it gets posted. Questions like this only create more confusion anxiety and wasted time.

Without confusion there would be no need for a forum dealing with the confused issues.  

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

SO,  take all my money out monday,  when my extension expires, ( july 2020) head to Laos and get a new single entry  O visa, put 800,000 in so its there 2 months before i do the next extension...

Take the 800,000 and put it in a Cambodian financial institute at 7%

rather than leave it in SCB at 1.2%

You have deliberately disobeyed the requirements of the Extension. There is no knowledge at this time if that may cause problems for the next Extension application. If an IO notices this, there is a possibility he would not be amused and determine a new Extension is not warranted. 

Edited by jacko45k