Does "I love you" bear the same meaning to a Thai as it does to a falang?

Elizway

Do Thais (especially the Issan variants) say I love you (in Thai/Lao of course) to each other? Does it carry the same weight? 

I understand they express their love more by actions than words, but do they get verbally romantic? Do they have phrases or things they say that make them feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

What about "I miss you"? Does that light up the soul of a Thai the way it does a Falang's? If not, do they have an equivalent? 

Do Thais (especially the Issan variants) say I love you (in Thai/Lao of course) to each other? Does it carry the same weight? 

I understand they express their love more by actions than words, but do they get verbally romantic? Do they have phrases or things they say that make them feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

What about "I miss you"? Does that light up the soul of a Thai the way it does a Falang's? If not, do they have an equivalent? 

Ruk koon -I love you. Kit Teung - Miss you.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, Elizway said:

Bun hat too-wer (or just hat too-wer) = I love you in Laos/Issan.

Rak tur = I love you in Thai.

If they don't say it in their native language, they probably don't mean it.

Rak khun is almost certainly a lie, as they haven't used the intimate/personal 'tur' but used the impersonal 'khun'.

If it's a Lao/Issan person they may very well use the more intimate 'goo/mung' in place of 'pom/chan/khun/tur'

'Pom/khun' are always used by people that don't know you or don't care for you no matter their ethnic background.

Bun hat too-wer (or just hat too-wer) = I love you in Laos/Issan.
Rak tur = I love you in Thai.

If they don't say it in their native language, they probably don't mean it.
Rak khun is almost certainly a lie, as they haven't used the intimate/personal 'tur' but used the impersonal 'khun'.
If it's a Lao/Issan person they may very well use the more intimate 'goo/mung' in place of 'pom/chan/khun/tur'
'Pom/khun' are always used by people that don't know you or don't care for you no matter their ethnic background.

My wife says "ruk koon samee ". Maybe after 6 years still lying. I just asked her. She said "koon" and "ter" are interchangeable.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Words are cheap in any language.  Some say it and don't mean it.  Some don't say it because culturally it is difficult, but mean what they did not say.  Some say it because they feel that it is expected.  When I was younger, I don't think I ever heard my parents say anything like that... but that does not mean they were not in love... just it was something you did not have to say.  I think traditional asian culture is more along the lines not expressing themselves in such a manner.

The word 'love' is a verb and has no intrinsic meaning unless accompanied by action that confirm it's meaning between two individuals, or between a dog/cat/horse/goat/parrot etc., and a person.  

I give you easy answer. Log onto any chat site and see profiles with looking for love, forever love, love never die and all the similar crap , then contact her and ask her out for drink or dinner and response would be “ how much you give me”

that should give you an indication of what love means to a local .

no doubt , pensioners with wife’s half their age would be quoting me and frothing how theirs is different and they met their lawyer on line 

Odd question really hardly thought through.  The phrase "I love you " is usually said during intimate moments so unless  any of the TV members are invited to be present during two other Thais periods of intimacy  ????, how would they know what is said. Alternatively of course if there are Thai TV members with a Thai partner then perhaps they are the only ones who can respond to the OPs initial question.

Already there are some replies irrelevant to the posters question insofar as it was specific ie. between 2 Thais, not one Thai + 1 foreigner !!

this probably sounds corny but what people say means very little.   sticking to the topic of "love",  well I always knew ( or thought i knew..lol)  when my lady had feelings for me.  The biggie for me is showing of affection.  Many guys are fooled by the many flirtatious words or actions of a woman.  Unfortunately there are no foolproof recipes for knowing if someone is sincere or not.  Everyone has to learn that for themself.

Since thais don't really show affection in public the way farangs do.... and don't say  I love you so much, i miss you so much..... I think one would have to somehow get in the house/bedroom to see what really goes on !

15 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Already there are some replies irrelevant to the posters question insofar as it was specific ie. between 2 Thais, not one Thai + 1 foreigner !!

uh oh  ....   the off topic and irrelevant police have arrived .   

29 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

In many cases, yes.

image.jpeg.4098680f37be0236abd0b0a1f2b385ec.jpeg

image.jpeg.451b3f317219b560755b8903060415f1.jpeg

Slight difference there, man you kindly provided were/are rich enough to buy entire province in Thailand and still have enough to buy neighboring provinces, not just a small house and a pension cheque every month

could you ask the same of a farang male w/farang female? Or anyone? It seems an expression that gets used and abused beyond cliche-dom... 

And then people place an importance upon it, forgetting that it is usually a transient state of emotion... 

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

In many cases, yes.

image.jpeg.4098680f37be0236abd0b0a1f2b385ec.jpeg

image.jpeg.451b3f317219b560755b8903060415f1.jpeg

Boris Johnson's squeeze is 20 plus years younger than him, and she's not an 

Issanite!!

Of course it's his wit, charm and good looks that attracted her!!!

By the way, my Mrs say "koi hak jaow" to me occasionally, typically when she

wants something. I have no idea whether Thai couples state their love for each

other, you don't often see great displays of affection in public.

47 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Boris Johnson's squeeze is 20 plus years younger than him, and she's not an 

Issanite!!

Of course it's his wit, charm and good looks that attracted her!!!

By the way, my Mrs say "koi hak jaow" to me occasionally, typically when she

wants something. I have no idea whether Thai couples state their love for each

other, you don't often see great displays of affection in public.

I see one of my staff buying instant coffee for her new gig, that means love.

she would not spend a single baht to buy anything for her long term boyfriend ????

Archived