LG rolls out 2019 TV lineup

webfact

LG rolls out 2019 TV lineup

By THE NATION

0a1c690628e1a2c7f9ba2d39c5576bf2.jpeg

LG Electronics Thailand Co Ltd has unveiled the latest premium TV lineup for 2019 powered by deep-learning technology and optimised artificial intelligence (AI) to offer the highest level of intelligence across every dimension.

Leading the new lineup is the 77-inch LG OLED TV W9 Series featuring the advanced second-generation α9 (Alpha 9) Gen 2 Intelligent Processor with a deep-learning algorithm that delivers enhanced picture (AI Picture) and upgraded sound (AI Sound) as well as augmented ThinQ AI voice assistant technology (AI Smart). 

LG is also introducing the latest range of LG NanoCell TVs equipped with the second-generation α7 (Alpha 7) Gen 2 Intelligent Processor, along with LG Big Screen TVs with up to 86-inch screens with outstanding picture quality that take the home entertainment experience to a whole new level. 

Nipon Wongsaengarunsri, marketing director of LG Thailand, said: “We have seen a huge shift in consumer behaviour towards TVs with 70-inch screens and larger. Sound quality and AI technology have also become key factors that buyers consider when buying a new TV. All these demands can be answered by our new lineup.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30371487

thenation_logo.jpg

On 6/21/2019 at 4:05 AM, webfact said:

as well as augmented ThinQ AI voice assistant technology (AI Smart). 

I don't like this AI idea very much..its getting too close to that book..that you can't read here..

the thing will be listing to everything in the room..if it has a built in web cam ( which quite a few do now) it will be watching everything in the room !!!!!

Ive been looking for a new high end 65" TV so some  of observations. There are 3 components to current high end TVs Screen, Usability, Sound.   This is all 4K i cant see why anyone would buy an 8K TV currently there is no content.

Screen

OLED is without a doubt the best picture currently.   Regardless of brand all TV OLED displays  are currently made by LG. OLEDS are like tiny lightbulbs , when you turn them off they are totally black. Low power consumption and viewing angle is excellent. However screen burn is real and a real  problem. 2100 hours of fixed content will burn in. Thats two hours a day of a CNN or Amarin logo for 3 years. 

Note:  The big electrical stores are currently clearing out demo 2018 OLED TVs for half price.   Thats still 50-80,000 Baht Just remember they've been on 12 hours a day for 365 days playing the same content. Thats 4,400 hours.    

There is a 1 year burn in  test of OLED here

OLED Burn in test

LG's screen warranty on high end TVs is 3 years, Samsung is lifetime against burn in   - i wonder why.    

Samsung have QLED a word which looks like but has nothing to do with OLED.  It is a modified LCD. The quality is very nice and its about 30% cheaper in Thailand for the same size  QLED over OLED . They are the same price in USA after discount. QLED  doesn't show blacks quite as well but once you get past that its a really nice picture. Its also brighter than OLED  if you have in a bright office or sunny room. Viewing angle not as good as OLED but fine in normal viewing situations.

LG Nano cell is a rebrand of their IPS technology . They claim  its equivalent to Samsungs QLED but i dont think it looks quite as good and it should be cheaper than it is.  However IPS viewing angle is better than Samsung QLED and it probably wont burn in a logo. 

The AI is mostly about local array dimming. OLED generates light.  QLED and IPS are LCD  like slides or transparencies  in that they switch colour but you need a light behind them to shine through. Like in an old  power point slide,  black shows up as dark grey because its got a big light behind it. Its also why the TV is fat  its got a big light behind the LCD.

Old TV's , and cheap current ones,  use an on all the time  light source.  Expensive AI TV's use an array of LED lights and turn them on and off if that part of the screen needs to be black. 

Useablity/ OS

If you plan to play streaming services or watch "ahem" downloaded movies on the TV - LG is the way to go. Samsungs Tizen OS wont play sound on a lot of content and video on some content. I sent a Samsung QLED back because of this - it wouldn't stream UK TV. .  Also LG with its wand mouse  approach is much easier to enter passwords, select things etc. If you use a separate media player or cable box you wont care.  None of these TVs have microphones or cameras in them. They do have a mic in the remote - you push a button on if you want to use voice. I've tried Samsungs TV bixby voice and its a waste of time    

Sound 

With its OLED TV LG makes a big  deal about how slim they are . This means the speakers are tiny and the sound is awful. Frankly charging 130,000 Baht for a TV i'd expect a soundbar to be included.   On that subject based on reviews and my own testing Samsung sound bars seem to be much better than LG

Archived