478 mostly-illegal foreigners rounded up in immigration raid

webfact

478 mostly-illegal foreigners rounded up in immigration raid

By The Thaiger

117c3eb1d481c45c09e5962c087889ff.jpeg

FILE PHOTO – One of the regular round-up of illegal foreigners

Police have netted another 478 mostly-illegal foreigners during surprise raids in more than 200 locations around Thailand yesterday (Wednesday) – most illegal immigrants. The assistant national police chief cited the 34th ASEAN Summit being held in Bangkok (that started today) as part of the security crackdown.

Police and immigration officials checked the documentation of foreigners at 238 different locations around the country, including private schools, hotels, entertainment locations and language schools.

The  says that the raids netted 478 foreigners accused of committing a variety of crimes – 295 illegal immigrants, 26 registered migrant workers (but were working in places other than their registered place of employment) and 24 illegal migrant workers

Seven had overstayed their visa.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/478-mostly-illegal-foreigners-rounded-up-in-immigration-raid

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-06-21

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, hobz said:

Yeah and God forbid you register as a migrant worker and work at the wrong address. 

Anyone remember all those stories last year, I think, that work permits would allow you to work anywhere in Thailand and so many reckoned they could just travel around working here there and everywhere. ????????

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I'm guessing the remaining 126 not mentioned had failed to register a TM30?

<end of sarcasm mode>

And the police have a person hiding identity.   Could't they do better than a file photo with a "token Farang"?

<End of TIT mode>

Can you tell me the requirements for being "Mostly illegal"it might have just happened to me overnight

Always best to check daily........ i will go to immigration

Police and immigration officials checked the documentation of foreigners at 238 different locations around the country, including private schools, hotels, entertainment locations and language schools.

Big News again,

The never ending 500 illegals every month !!!!!!!!!!

it's a bit like the old, everlasting pint of Guinness joke.!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see the correct terminology used.

Police and immigration officials.

So there you have it,  Cops doing immigration work.

( that can't be so,  well according to some posters)

So lets have the surplus immigration cops, ( loads of them) out on the roads catching the bad guys and girls on the highways.

after all,  only 65 per day die on the roads here,

unlike the victimless crime above. 

But hey,  forgot TIT.

Ps Nearly forgot,   

Get em, Get em now,  evil foreigners. :coffee1:

I am all for them arresting illegals BUT why the big show from the fuzz and why do the media play out these xenophobic rituals. Does anyone one know if the Thai media keep reporting them the same as the English language media or is it just the English language media's editorial "policy" to scare us?

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm guessing the remaining 126 not mentioned had failed to register a TM30?

<end of sarcasm mode>

Sarcasm ? We have seen in similar articles before that those monthly raid also included foreigner that failed to report their address in Thailand (although it was not said if it was 90 day report or TM something)

It is or seems totally overkill and the why is mind boggling for how they are treating the foreigners. Is this under a democratic government or fascist regime? I am having a hard time deciphering this. Next it will be pointed at going to all the above board registered having all i's dotted and t's crossed foreigners residences showing a force. 

40 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

I am all for them arresting illegals BUT why the big show from the fuzz and why do the media play out these xenophobic rituals. Does anyone one know if the Thai media keep reporting them the same as the English language media or is it just the English language media's editorial "policy" to scare us?

Yes the Thai media also keep reporting it, but the Thai media seems to go into a bit more detail

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Yes the Thai media also keep reporting it, but the Thai media seems to go into a bit more detail

Not that much detail - I haven't seen any reports so far mentioning the acussed's weight, or even shoe size.

1 hour ago, MRToMRT said:

As to the why?  There are no Progressives in Thailand screaming for the protection of 'migrant rights' or offering sanctuary cities, or defending basic human-rights.  Nope, Thailand is pretty uniformly xenophobic. 
I'm personally all for protecting their borders, but the level of anti-foreigner immigration policies, obsessive-compulsive foreigner monitoring and reporting requirements for all non-Thais that lead to these Lakhon-esqe "arrest and display" media side-shows, and ever-changing immigration regulations that pretty much guarantees making criminals out of quite a large percentage of foreigners for 'heinous' offensives like failure to report a short trip away from their residence - is complete and utter overkill.

Can you even imagine the outrage in say, Sweden, Germany, most Western EU countries, the UK, or the US if their immigration enforcement started arresting and displaying foreigners as though they were hardened criminals as does Thailand?  Especially if it was reported that the demeaning treatment and carnivalesque media photo-ops and reporting were for offenses such as 'failure to report an address' or 'failure to file an address form?'

3 hours ago, Naamblar2014 said:

What does S. W. A. T mean in Thailand. I don't think you would need special weapons and tactical to check the papers of a few migrant workers would you?  Slave worker arrest team? 

Stay safe! There's some dodgy characters out there!!

3 hours ago, Naamblar2014 said:

What does S. W. A. T mean in Thailand. I don't think you would need special weapons and tactical to check the papers of a few migrant workers would you?  Slave worker arrest team? 

Thais love a drama!

You should know they all watch too much American TV and if there is any soap with a uniform in it, you can bet within a week there is a Thai version of it circulating within the military and police.

They just can't bear to be left out on such things as newly formed, inter governmental departments like S.W.A.T, or Transnational crime division, especially when it involves dressing up!

Remember, this country has more Admirals and Generals than the USA

Archived