BANGKOK 19 August 2019 06:12
webfact

Golden David Beckham statue draws tourists to Buddhist temple in Bangkok

Golden David Beckham statue draws tourists to Buddhist temple

db.jpg

BANGKOK (Reuters): Manchester United legend David Beckham has such a strong global appeal and ardent fanbase that a temple in Thailand has installed a gold-painted statue of the footballer in the altar, turning it into a surprising tourist attraction.

Pariwat temple, in Bangkok, engraved the Beckham statue two decades ago, when Manchester United made history by being the first English football club to win the treble of trophies.

The statue, built in a traditional garuda style holding up the altar, features Beckham's trademark floppy hairstyle of that era and his team jersey, and continues to attract visitors to this day.

Meanwhile, for Liverpool fans, the temple also features a host of other characters in pop culture, the likes of Wolverine, Superman and Pikachu adorn the exterior of the building. The temple said the superheroes were installed because they are considered good symbols who can help to protect Buddhism.

Rough cut (no reporter narration).

Sources: The Start Online | Reuters

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I wonder if they have paid him for the right to use his image for commercial purposes. I see a lawsuit ahead.

• Like 1

Glad Reuters discovered it. I first saw it maybe 15 years ago. Good to see reporters get off the bar stool and away from Sukhumvit!

57 minutes ago, champers said:

I wonder if they have paid him for the right to use his image for commercial purposes. I see a lawsuit ahead.

On good Buddhist principles he would not expect recompense, and would gladly give his consent I am sure.

I think they used to call him "golden balls" but those are the only thing that seems to be missing from the statue.

• Haha 1

Just now, Phuketshrew said:

I think they used to call him "golden balls" but those are the only thing that seems to be missing from the statue.

lol

1 hour ago, faraday said:

"You shall have no other gods before me"

and: "Little children, keep yourself from idols. Amen"

1 John 5:21 (KJV)

• Like 1