Thailand coach and manager quit after World Cup failure

webfact

Thailand coach and manager quit after World Cup failure

By The Nation

cbbbdcb6fe8120add183271c390de57d.jpeg

Thailand manager Nualphan Lamsam and coach Nuengrutai Srathongvian

Thailand coach Nuengrutai Srathongvian and manager Nualphan Lamsam threw in the towels after their team lost to Chile 0-2 in Group F  and crashed out of the World Cup in Rennes on Friday.

The Kingdom completed their  missions in the tournament with three straight defeats, 0-13 to the US, 1-5 to Sweden and 0-2 to Chile in their last group stage game.

After failing to move to the last 16, the 47-year-old Nuengrutai showed responsibility by announcing her resignation after five years.

“We were unable to improve our results from the last World Cup (Thailand were also knocked out from the group stage in Canada in 2015). We have to accept that the other teams in our group are better than we are,” said Nuengrutai.

Team manager and benefactor Nualphan said “The coach and I already agreed that we will end our roles. It’s been a pleasure for me after 12 years being part of the team. Thank you all the players for the hard work and for their support,” said Nualphan.

“But I still support several players who have been hired by my company,” added the President and Chief Executive Officer of Muang Thai Insurance.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/sports/30371506

thenation_logo.jpg

Some rather block headed posts here, I reckon.

Women's sports here are of the "clean" sort: volleyball (big deal, prime time TV), tennis, badminton and basketball. No down and dirty like football.

Thai culture also seems to dislike women having muscles (you have to do physical work? Are you LoSo?), association with being "Tom" all sorts of barriers. How little support does the women's team get from government? A woman CEO carries that team. Good for her and shame on the rest of the country.

Women have scored one more goal than the Thai men's team, in spite of having leagues and all that. The men have never made it to the world cup, and there are 32 teams for men in that. Women only have 24.

Yeah they didn't do great. But they got there, which is more than the rest of us can say

Simply the result of very, very poor performances. Fairly typical for Thai team sports on the world stage. 

Only individuals seem to do well internationally. Thai golfers for instance. 

The game with the US was kind of silly. It was the largest margin of victory ever at the World Cup, and the most goals scored in a single World Cup match. The Americans outshot Thailand, 39-2. Alex Morgan scored five goals, tying a team record, and Rose Lavelle and Sam Mewis each had two. 

Their goalie should retire. 

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The Americans outshot Thailand, 39-2.  

Or you could look on the upside and say the Thai goalie only let 13 in out of 39 shots. It's the defence where the big problem is letting the Americans have so many shots

Well they got it down, from 13 to 2 against. Improvement? First game fear? 

Saw some of Japan to UK. Japanese women were just bounced out of position, too light, UK knew how to handle.

Just 2-0. But women soccer , its quite something different then men.

But good manager and coach are leaving. They did not good to the team.

Firstly, well done Thailand for qualifying; no mean feat.

I saw the Sweden game and Thailand were bullied off the ball and could not cope with the bigger and stronger Swedes. Japan reached the final 4 years ago, so it is possible for players smaller in stature to compete at the very top level. Perhaps Japan is where Thailand should look for their next coach.

16 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Simply the result of very, very poor performances. Fairly typical for Thai team sports on the world stage. 

Only individuals seem to do well internationally. Thai golfers for instance. 

The game with the US was kind of silly. It was the largest margin of victory ever at the World Cup, and the most goals scored in a single World Cup match. The Americans outshot Thailand, 39-2. Alex Morgan scored five goals, tying a team record, and Rose Lavelle and Sam Mewis each had two. 

Watch the ladies volleyball. Very entertaining and Thailand seem to punch above their weight on the international stage.

2 minutes ago, champers said:

I saw the Sweden game and Thailand were bullied off the ball and could not cope with the bigger and stronger Swedes. Japan reached the final 4 years ago, so it is possible for players smaller in stature to compete at the very top level. Perhaps Japan is where Thailand should look for their next coach.

Thailand would do well, to look for coaching outside of the country. For that matter, the same reasoning applies to nearly every five star hotel in the nation. Why are nearly all the GM's foreigners? Because they insist on a different level of service, and bring more to the table, when it comes to certain areas of expertise. Why are nearly all of the factories in Thailand, owned by Japanese and Western companies run by foreigners? Same reason. Quality standards must be maintained. 

3 hours ago, Emdog said:

Thai culture also seems to dislike women having muscles (you have to do physical work? Are you LoSo?), association with being "Tom" all sorts of barriers.

You do know that the biggest success that Thai women have had in international competition is weightlifting, don't you? Including Olympic gold. Their 'golden' days may be over though after six weightlifters, including two gold winners, tested positive for doping last November when the authorities sprung a surprise test on them.

I think Thailand is a long way off competing on the world stage at football men and women the best coach they had was Peter Withe a farang so I'm lead to believe when it come to the thai FA to pay his wages was the end of his contract his wages were paid by the English FA 

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Taking responsibility.. good trait accepting they are part to blame. 

I see your point. So unlike the uniformed poobahs to accept responsibility when things go sideways. 

9 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Where did the coach find the Thai goalie? Thats the real reason for her extreme failure. Unbelievable poor goalkeeping in all 3 matches.

You don't think the defense, midfield and lack of tactics contributed then?

5 hours ago, Emdog said:

Some rather block headed posts here, I reckon.

Women's sports here are of the "clean" sort: volleyball (big deal, prime time TV), tennis, badminton and basketball. No down and dirty like football.

Thai culture also seems to dislike women having muscles (you have to do physical work? Are you LoSo?), association with being "Tom" all sorts of barriers. How little support does the women's team get from government? A woman CEO carries that team. Good for her and shame on the rest of the country.

Women have scored one more goal than the Thai men's team, in spite of having leagues and all that. The men have never made it to the world cup, and there are 32 teams for men in that. Women only have 24.

Yeah they didn't do great. But they got there, which is more than the rest of us can say

Left off Golf...at which Thai women are excelling on the world stage!

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That must have been a ball breaker.... (or some gender equivalent term.....) :tongue:

To be fair, Thailand has a small number of registered female players, mainly non professional - some being "sponsored" by their employers.

The US has a very large pool of professional players to choose from. experienced coaching hierarchies, and happen to be the defending champions!

The encouraging comments after the match, about working hard to develop the ladies football in Thailand and Asia and keep playing from the US team management were what's needed. 

11 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

To be fair, Thailand has a small number of registered female players, mainly non professional - some being "sponsored" by their employers.

The US has a very large pool of professional players to choose from. experienced coaching hierarchies, and happen to be the defending champions!

The encouraging comments after the match, about working hard to develop the ladies football in Thailand and Asia and keep playing from the US team management were what's needed. 

I wasn't rendering a personal judgment on the Thai team.

Rather, I was recalling what I felt like after big losses in my athlete days, and what the Thai ladies must have felt like lately after getting such a major beat down in a world competition-level game.

The fact the other team starts off much better than you doesn't make taking such a public, high-profile beating any easier or less painful for the individual athletes.

Me thinks they should have quit in 2015.  And like many pollsters on here said, the Thai team is just too light for the bigger American and European teams.  Find some big honking farm girls from Issan.  ????

4 hours ago, champers said:

I think Japan won it a few years ago, Asians can do just as well

Archived