Rental bikes and scooters¬where have they gone?

scottiejohn

Those rent a cycles and electric scooters seem to have disappeared from my area of the city (Pantip).
I am not complaining at their apparent demise as I no longer have to dodge around them lying on the pavements/sidewalks.
I was just wondering if they have been banned or has the Fad/craze worn off.

5 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Those rent a cycles and electric scooters seem to have disappeared from my area of the city (Pantip).

What a relief!  I've watched tourists ride down the middle of the street on those things.  No use adding to the already suicidal driving here.  

30 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Just an observation, but would they not be better than renting the petrol / diesel bikes for reasons of environment, safety etc.

No.  At least proper rental bikes are returned to the bike shops and not left obstructing the pavements etc.

2 hours ago, wombat said:

where have they gone?
maybe across the border and sold as parts ?

Do you mean the body parts of those killed  (RIP) by those bl*ody contraptions. 

If just the machines then the bordering countries are welcome to them.

Plenty of bicycle rentals still around inner city 40 baht per day. 

Yes the mobikes just disappeared a month or so ago. 

There's a OFO (yellow) bike rental shop nearby and I swear they stole them all from Phuket and disabled the locks, now rent them out for 24 hours. 

I got roasted way back for suggesting Mobikes, as a business model,  was a disaster.Being negative I was told.

I guess we have all seen them left on the side of the road in the most bizarre location some miles from anywhere.

Riders,who had obviously never ridden before, weaving down the narrow sois in CM were always close to being another road statistic.           The scooters hopefully will go the same way

You can’t have tourists having other public transportation alternatives. Grab us bad enough and their drivers still get attacked. All those bikes and scooters take money from the taxi, tuk tuk and red crap-truck drivers. A war with stones, hatchets and sticks coming soon,

Electric bikes are very popular in Cambodia and they work very well , with charging stations several places.

I always rent one when I visit Siem Reap. 

Strange Thailand can't do the same , nothing is well organized here.

Archived