How to get tourist visa to USA for a Thai national?

If you are not a American, tourist visa pretty much impossible.

If you are a American, tourist visa pretty much impossible again.

You noted denied quickly!  You question is best way?  Before applying again I suggest you do a bit more research as to what they are looking for as to why they should give her one, holiday isn't enough since they already denied her.

Some answers,  she needs to show a reason why if they let her leave what will make her return? She has property, a study job with verifiable income etc...  she works at a salon, massage etc.. all red flag..

If Thailand isn't your home have been for some time retirement extension etc. forget it. Then more you apply and get denied the more impossible it gets, it all counts!

It is very difficult unless she is wealthy and has significant assets in Thailand. And the younger and prettier she is, the more difficult. 

We were turned down flat. We also tried for a student visa. Turned down again. Once we were married it was easy. 10 year, multiple entry, first attempt. 

A few years back my Thai fiancé (now my wife) was denied on the basis that there was no evidence that she would return to Thailand, despite having been with me a couple of years , having a house in her name, financial assets, a motor vehicle , visas for the UK and Canada and a child at school here in Thailand.

I was surprised it was denied as it was only a tourist visa ( she was going to join me , a UK citizen for the last three months of a work assignment in the US). Definitely understand the need for border control but it appears its just easier for the US immigration to reject most applications to be on the conservative side, so the 90% genuine applications get rejected to boot.

Anyway good luck with your application.

9 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Showing a probable intent to return to Thailand is key.  

I don't think "probable" is a strong enough word.  Immigration has to be totally convinced of the intent to return.  As a minimum, money in the bank, family and a good long term job.

Of course, if she knows how to climb or swim, she car start with a Mexican visa???? 

My Thai bf and I applied for a Visa to America. He had same job 3 years. Owned a tiny condo and a motorbike. Application instantly accepted. Next year we went to America again, got married and he got a work permit. Been in the States 2 years now.  He was told it would be extremely difficult to get the visa but his interviewer said he had roots and property to come back to.

My friend was rejected quickly multiple times. She owned expensive rental property, worked at four and five-star resort hotels  in multiple countries, and no legal problems. But the rejection came without review of her application. We were assured we could reapply as many times as we want for another $100 each time. Then, while working in Dar Es Salaam, George Bush and his presidential team stayed at the hotel where she was on the managenent team, and she met the Embassy officials. She was encouraged to apply with them and was quickly granted a 10-year visa. So if you have some way of bumping into Trump, but even so ...

Chinese Wife was denied twice made me wonder is there something I don’t know so I called and was told if I wanted to discuss it I’d have to go to their offices, 

We the officer pulled up the file and said the cover letter / invite

letter looked to a fraud. He showed me it I said I wrote it from 

a sample on the Internet and it was signature. He said ok tell her

to make an appointment and it’ll be approved. 

I asked why so strict of you gets approved I’m sure many are legit.

he said once someone is in the country their not tracked like some

other countries. 

Here in Thailand because so many people went on tourist visa to S. Korea and were going for work with overstays. A person who hasn’t 

traveled out of the country and traveling alone are questioned and some decided travel of of Thailand. Females are scrutinized more so.....

2 hours ago, DJ54 said:

A person who hasn’t 

traveled out of the country and traveling alone are questioned and some decided travel of of Thailand. Females are scrutinized more so.....

Have never heard of denial of travel happening in Thailand - although it is not only done; but an official policy, in Philippines.  

21 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

I don't think "probable" is a strong enough word.  Immigration has to be totally convinced of the intent to return.  As a minimum, money in the bank, family and a good long term job.

Of course, if she knows how to climb or swim, she car start with a Mexican visa???? 

Get with the program?  You don't even need that any longer!

23 hours ago, ToddinChonburi said:

I would recommend taking a trip to Australia first. If she can get an Aussie visa it will really help with USA visa.  we just returned from our trip to America.

Todd, I've read a lot of this forum topic on TVF because I want to take my Thai GF to USA. I'm American citizen myself on retirement visa extension in Thailand.

Your post is the first one that gives me any hope.

Please expand your post or PM me.

The success rate for this endeavor is tragically low. We've heard many stories about rejection but precious few of success.

Are you American? Retired here? How old is she? Is she Thai HiSo? Lots of money in the bank? Children? She have sick mother? Especially important job here? Traveled out of Thailand before Australia trip? Own house /land/condo? Did the embassy know about your relationship to her? I've been told that this is the kiss of death to her application, and that once rejected it becomes exponentially more difficult to be approved.

After researching the US embassy and TVF and talking to other USA expats it seemed that marriage and 2 years of immigration grief are the only option so far.

The US embassy makes it quite clear on the website that the chances of a single Asian women getting to America are slim to none. They flatly state that they assume she is lying on her application and will not return to Thailand. Assumed guilty until proven innocent kind of horsesh*t.

It has been mentioned by others that extensive passport history to other countries helps but only marginally.

I have all but given up on the idea and find it outrageous that I can't bring a friend to my home country with me for 3-4 weeks.

I and others here would appreciate and possibly benefit from any pieces of the puzzle you can offer.

Please share.

On 6/22/2019 at 2:01 AM, Mac98 said:

My friend was rejected quickly multiple times. She owned expensive rental property, worked at four and five-star resort hotels  in multiple countries, and no legal problems. But the rejection came without review of her application. We were assured we could reapply as many times as we want for another $100 each time. Then, while working in Dar Es Salaam, George Bush and his presidential team stayed at the hotel where she was on the managenent team, and she met the Embassy officials. She was encouraged to apply with them and was quickly granted a 10-year visa. So if you have some way of bumping into Trump, but even so ...

Bush was far more fond of foreigners with dark skin, than Trump is. 

One's results may vary because can't recall any Thai friends or family being denied US tourist visas to the point where it seems like the ONLY give out 10 year visas (do they ever give less unless it's a rejection?), the only time I hear about it is in online forums and on Facebook travel groups.   The one negative thing I hear from time to time is how some of the Thai staff working at the US Embassy in Bangkok are a bit cranky in particular this one odd thing I've heard from 4-5 people is that one middle aged Thai lady who works there will even mark your photo with a pen behind the counter and say your photo is damaged to kind of just waste your time.    The workaround for that is just to bring backup photos (apparently a lot of people read the one photo requirement and bring just the one).    ...Like they say, power corrupts and moderately insignificant power also corrupts moderately.

On 6/22/2019 at 7:54 AM, RocketDog said:

Todd, I've read a lot of this forum topic on TVF because I want to take my Thai GF to USA. I'm American citizen myself on retirement visa extension in Thailand.

Your post is the first one that gives me any hope.

Please expand your post or PM me.

The success rate for this endeavor is tragically low. We've heard many stories about rejection but precious few of success.

Are you American? Retired here? How old is she? Is she Thai HiSo? Lots of money in the bank? Children? She have sick mother? Especially important job here? Traveled out of Thailand before Australia trip? Own house /land/condo? Did the embassy know about your relationship to her? I've been told that this is the kiss of death to her application, and that once rejected it becomes exponentially more difficult to be approved.

After researching the US embassy and TVF and talking to other USA expats it seemed that marriage and 2 years of immigration grief are the only option so far.

The US embassy makes it quite clear on the website that the chances of a single Asian women getting to America are slim to none. They flatly state that they assume she is lying on her application and will not return to Thailand. Assumed guilty until proven innocent kind of horsesh*t.

It has been mentioned by others that extensive passport history to other countries helps but only marginally.

I have all but given up on the idea and find it outrageous that I can't bring a friend to my home country with me for 3-4 weeks.

I and others here would appreciate and possibly benefit from any pieces of the puzzle you can offer.

Please share.

RocketDog you're posting total BS.  In 2017, almost 80% of Thais who applied for a tourist visa were approved. Official state dept figures: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY 17.pdf

My girlfriend had no problem with getting a 10 year visa. There is a massive amount of wrong info on this forum about this issue. Posts like your's and many other posters reinforce this BS. Go to forums that deal exclusively with getting visas to the US and they show a completely different picture.

RocketDog you're posting total BS.  In 2017, almost 80% of Thais who applied for a tourist visa were approved. Official state dept figures: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY 17.pdf

My girlfriend had no problem with getting a 10 year visa. There is a massive amount of wrong info on this forum about this issue. Posts like your's and many other posters reinforce this BS. Go to forums that deal exclusively with getting visas to the US and they show a completely different picture.

First: Trump was just starting to shake up immigration policy in 2017. Things have changed. Read the news.

Second: I didn't post any facts, but only heresay, same as your reply. However, you are implying that all of the posters on TVF are deceitful for no apparent reason. Does that sound reasonable to you?

Third: Your belligerent reply might be useful if you had provided links to these fabled forums of successful folks.

I was addressing a poster who might offer useful advice. You jumped in to offer nothing but an attitude. Not at all useful to anybody.

But hey. If you feel better now I'm pleased for you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

First: Trump was just starting to shake up immigration policy in 2017. Things have changed. Read the news.

Second: I didn't post any facts, but only heresay, same as your reply. However, you are implying that all of the posters on TVF are deceitful for no apparent reason. Does that sound reasonable to you?

Third: Your belligerent reply might be useful if you had provided links to these fabled forums of successful folks.

I was addressing a poster who might offer useful advice. You jumped in to offer nothing but an attitude. Not at all useful to anybody.

But hey. If you feel better now I'm pleased for you.

I posted based on my personal experience not "heresay" unlike your post. Why are you repeating "heresay" when in fact you have ZERO facts, ZERO personal experience?

I also provided an official link that showed your claim of " The success rate for this endeavor is tragically low." to be total BS.

You claim to have done research but I posted links in the past including this on March 6: 

"Good resources for US visas: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/ and https://www.immihelp.com/"

I'm belligerent because posts like yours cause other people unnecessary grief when applying for a visa for their girlfriend. Been there, done that.

I posted based on my personal experience not "heresay" unlike your post. Why are you repeating "heresay" when in fact you have ZERO facts, ZERO personal experience?

I also provided an official link that showed your claim of " The success rate for this endeavor is tragically low." to be total BS.

You claim to have done research but I posted links in the past including this on March 6: 
"Good resources for US visas: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/ and https://www.immihelp.com/"

I'm belligerent because posts like yours cause other people unnecessary grief when applying for a visa for their girlfriend. Been there, done that.

OK. I followed the first link and, ignoring the marriage forum, went here:
https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/710783-sponsor-a-travel-visa/#comments

A total of 27 comments saying it's harder for some people than others and some countries than others. No archives that I could find.

Not very useful or enlightening. Most posters seemed to have a negative (BS) attitude as well. Note also that this site is hosted by a visa service company, so it seems unlikely that they would want people to think getting a visa is difficult. Follow the money.

Your original link of rejection rates is pre-trump and is some cases such as central American and African countries was frankly laughably unbelievable. Naturally, as an American I firmly believe all the information my government supplies to its citizens. It's not like we've ever been lied to after all. Look at the stats the gov posts on how many people are surrendering their citizenship and leaving America. These numbers are widely disputed and not even current as the gov itself admits.

I will seek more answers and thank you for the links. My reply was one seeking information, not an argument.

Your personal experience is a sample of one, and is dated information given the global changes the last two years as authoritarian governments seize power. So it certainly raises the question of why one person's positive experience of years ago should be valued over many people's more recent experiences, specifically from Thailand.

I think if the success rate for Thailand is as high as you purport I would have seen it manifested more. I refuse to believe that all TVF posters falsify negative results for unknown reasons. Just my opinion of course.

As for your belligerence: good luck with that issue, regardless of how you may rationalize it.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll move on now.

2 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I refuse to believe that all TVF posters falsify negative results for unknown reasons. Just my opinion of course.

The thing is most visa applicants are not TVF posters or readers - they are students/teachers/officials/doctors/high income travelers and the like and indeed most will be successful.  TVF posters are more often than not posting about GF applications with questionable reasons for travel or, if GF status known, question if trying to avoid immigrant visa entry procedures.  So for forum members the results will be less.  Add the normal post negative factors and it does indeed become tilted out of proportion.  People should not be put off by negative reports here and give it a try, using knowledge applicant needs to show some justification for travel with expectation of return.

On 6/22/2019 at 12:26 AM, bustit997 said:

My Thai bf and I applied for a Visa to America. He had same job 3 years. Owned a tiny condo and a motorbike. Application instantly accepted. Next year we went to America again, got married and he got a work permit. Been in the States 2 years now.  He was told it would be extremely difficult to get the visa but his interviewer said he had roots and property to come back to.

That is the key the interviewer, my girl friend at the time for 6 years was denied, 2 years later and married no problem to get approved. The differences happen to be the marriage, and a different interviewer, she had a woman this time the first time was a uptite white male. OP since you really give no helpful info about your situation it is really hard to give you helpful info.

If they think she's a bar girl, massage girl, or any girl you met while visiting Thailand as a tourist, you will be denied flat. She has to prove she is not a flight risk. If she is single, has no money, no assets, and no reason to return to Thailand, she will not get a Visa.

The thing is most visa applicants are not TVF posters or readers - they are students/teachers/officials/doctors/high income travelers and the like and indeed most will be successful.  TVF posters are more often than not posting about GF applications with questionable reasons for travel or, if GF status known, question if trying to avoid immigrant visa entry procedures.  So for forum members the results will be less.  Add the normal post negative factors and it does indeed become tilted out of proportion.  People should not be put off by negative reports here and give it a try, using knowledge applicant needs to show some justification for travel with expectation of return.
Good logic and I agree.

But my inquiry was directly related to bringing my girlfriend to my home in America. The success rate of professionals, educators, and monied/educated foreigners from different well-heeled countries is simply irrelevant to the questions I raised.

So the success rate of TVF posters seems like a better gauge for my purposes. It certainly appears that the USA is quickly becoming a closed nation.

I am still offended by the immigration policy now in effect. To deny that the current president's glaring racism would have no effect on immigration policy is a foolhardy oversight. His animosity and ignorance of science, foreign policy, and climate change, as well as the rule of law is clearly having a negative impact on a once - respected nation.

But I take your point.
Thanks

On 6/21/2019 at 4:50 AM, spidermike007 said:

It is very difficult unless she is wealthy and has significant assets in Thailand. And the younger and prettier she is, the more difficult. 

We were turned down flat. We also tried for a student visa. Turned down again. Once we were married it was easy. 10 year, multiple entry, first attempt. 

Which visa gives 10 years and multiple entry?

I am from the US and my wife is Thai. We would like to visit the States next year. 

40 minutes ago, chaiyaphumcharlie said:

I am from the US and my wife is Thai. We would like to visit the States next year. 

Normal tourist visa to USA is valid for 10 years multiple entry.  So you do not have to apply for a new visa for yearly trips and such.  On entry you advise how low stay will be and normally (few months) will be acceptable.  

1 hour ago, chaiyaphumcharlie said:

A marriage visa between an American citizen and a Thai, comes in two different forms. Either a one year visa, good for 90 day visits, or a 10 year, multiple entry, which is what we got. I have a great tip for you. When she goes to her appointment at the embassy, have her bring your original passport. That is all they wanted to see. Perhaps it helped that I travel back and forth often, so they could easily see that she would have a reason to return. But, it is something they will want to see. They studied mine for 10 minutes, before telling her she should come back in two weeks, for her visa. 

My experience is 3 Thai women got 10 yr visas pre tRump  but one was rejected last September 2018  I've read they only give out 10 year visas because  reapplications of shorter-term visas were too much work load for the government. 

Yes there was a difference in the last woman than the other 3.   The first three all owned houses.  One was a teacher with lots of debt and two children.  One had hiso connections, kids,  and money.  One was retired nurse with money, no kids.   The last one has 17 years at one company, no house or  land, no money, no debt, is very attractive. In all four cases the fact that they knew me in America was kept secret.  On this last case I may have made a mistake when I paid in person for the application fee. The bank made me sign the receipt which you take to your interview. So if they looked there was an American man's name having paid for the application.   The last ones English skills , while decent , were the least of the four.   I really do think looks have something to do with it.  

Archived