Walking Street vendors pushed back off pavement

Rimmer

image.png

PATTAYA:--Vendors encroaching on public walkways on Walking Street had their signs taken down and the sidewalks reclaimed.

Deputy Mayor Pattana Boonsawad led a team out to the famous nightlife district to clear out the encroachers.

The entourage also inspected drainage pipes on Walking Street and Sukhumvit Road and will assign workers to pump out the sewage to help prevent floods. (PCPR)

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-06-21--

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Pattana  said look at me, i am doing a good job, i sorted them out, pathetic bit of bluster, and for what?

Just to get a bit of media attention.????????

True. The media here feebly report what they're told to report.

I've never seen any news article where the reporter ever asked, "How come you're doing it again this year - the same as every year? Doesn't this mean you're failing in doing your job properly, by not keeping them off the streets permanently?"

...and then I woke up.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

And they'll be back in the same positions again in...I'll give it a week. No no, what I am on about? 72 hours, tops.

Good ! I hope they will be back to every spot they were kicked away from. 

If there is one thing i still like about Thailand is the street vendors.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

True. The media here feebly report what they're told to report.

I've never seen any news article where the reporter ever asked, "How come you're doing it again this year - the same as every year? Doesn't this mean you're failing in doing your job properly, by not keeping them off the streets permanently?"

...and then I woke up.

The answer is very simple, They are intelligent enough to understand that many north-eastern families relay on this to make a living As well as the fact that many tourists find it as an exotic attraction.

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Anybody see the fun in this? They are trying to push vendors away from the side walks of a walking street, Hillarious!

3 hours ago, essox essox said:

great post......

Ha?? Are you kidding me? Walking street is a closed road designed especially for people to NOT use the sidewalks.

pattaya-walking-street-2.jpg

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Side walks for pedestrians?  Nope.  For parked cars, motorcycles, trees, utility poles, utility boxes. signs, flower pots - everything but pedestrians if a typical Thai sidewalk.  

37 minutes ago, connda said:

Side walks for pedestrians?  Nope.  For parked cars, motorcycles, trees, utility poles, utility boxes. signs, flower pots - everything but pedestrians if a typical Thai sidewalk.  

Yep you can see in the  top photo the concrete electricity pylon  slapped right in the middle of the  pavement and that the pavement is very narrow.

4 hours ago, connda said:

So right. Pattaya has no sidewalks/footpaths. They are merely paved areas for vendors,

and merchants to ply their trade. They are mini-roads for scooters and extensions of restaurants and convenience stores. Pathetic.

20 hours ago, bluesofa said:

And they'll be back in the same positions again in...I'll give it a week. No no, what I am on about? 72 hours, tops.

Probably the next day. It doesn't appear that much pavement has been recovered in the above picture. Nor on Walking St in the evening is it a big deal. More aggravated by lounging M/C guys and their bikes at the entrance to Walking St who force tourists down into the gutter and the paths of large coached struggling to make the bend.

What about the other 15 km of pavement around Pattaya ?  Take a look at the restaurant on the corner of 2nd Road and Soi Diana T which appears to have taken over the pavement with a permanent wall along the kerb... or am I seeing things ? 

On 6/21/2019 at 2:21 PM, LongTang said:

Ha?? Are you kidding me? Walking street is a closed road designed especially for people to NOT use the sidewalks.

pattaya-walking-street-2.jpg

Except you need to cross the footpath to enter the bars and restaurants. I wonder who collects the rent? ????

Good intensions but wasted efforts. 

All pesterian walkways should be free of any obstruction. Howvever, Thai being Thai, they won't give a rats about public rights of way. Greed for money, hard selling and selfishness are more important to them. 

Anyway, Walking Street looks a dump as does most of Pattaya city.

Thailand is FAR from paradise.

31 minutes ago, madmen said:

If they want to really do it right how about the footpath on south pattaya rd from Tutcom to 2nd rd.

the vendors are 2  deep in places with the footpath nearly gone .

How about the short stretch from the end of Beach Rd into Walking Street, past the smelly pumping station and in front of the beer bars. A bottle neck and 20 year old problem!

On 6/21/2019 at 10:29 AM, Matzzon said:

Anybody see the fun in this? They are trying to push vendors away from the side walks of a walking street, Hillarious!

They'd be better employed attending to the sidewalks (what sidewalks) in Sois Diana and Bhukaow.

I've actually seen a pedestrian knocked up in the air by a motor bike in Soi Diana and motor bikes doing at least 40 mph in Bhukaow.

Yet they're bothered about a stall holder trying to earn a living in Walking Street. Amazing Thailand!

Archived