exact translation of this

taibo

Hi, i need to translate a dialogue, especially this phrase I can´t get exactly what it means.
เดี๋ยวเลิกงานหนูขอโทไปได้มั้ยค่ะ
But this part of the dialogue I really don´t understand much, google seems to be doing a very bad job. If someone can help me with this text or at least the sentence above I will appreciate it.
Thanx!

1 - หนูถามอะไรหน่อยสิ
2- ครับผมว่า
1- เดี๋ยวตอนเย็นกัไดัพี่บูม
    เดี๋ยวเลิกงานหนูขอโทไปได้มั้ยค่ะ
2 - อ๋อครัน
     ตอนนี้พักเที่ยง
     โทรมาได้
      เป้ยๆ
1- พี่บูนนนนน
     นอนยาค่า
2- ยังๆ
    นีไรป่าวอะเป้ย 

1 - What do you ask?
2- Yes.
1- Wait to stop working. Can you get a master?
2 - Oh Kran      
Now lunch      
Can call       
Anyway
1- Elder Bunnon      
Sleep medicine
2- Still     
What is this?

Here's what it says:

1. May I ask you something?
2. Sure, what?
1. I'll ask you this evening, Boom
Can I call you after I finish work?
2. Oh, sure
Now it's my lunch break
You can call me, Poey
1. Booooooon
Are you sleeping yet?
2. No not yet
What's up Poey?

Yes I guess work means she has a job with fixed hours.

Boom is a name, but she spells it Boom, then Boon, so it could be either one.

I wrote Boooon because that's what she wrote in Thai (notice the นนนนน repeated at the end), like she's calling his name.

How she writes it งาน = work means a job, in theory it could also mean something like housework, homework, or similar, but unlikely.

For sure she asks if she can call him when she finishes work.

According to the interpretation of my girlfriend they are just something like friends, if they had a more intimate relationship they would use another writing style.

So for sure is she the one who is working? no chance she is asking for when HE finishes work? cuz makes sense because then he tells her than she can call now cuz lunch break instead of answering that yes she can call when she herself finishes work
According to the context would make sense, but if you are sure is she who is working why is it? thanks!

หนู is "I" for sure, not "you". She's calling him "พี่", so she's younger than him (even if it's just a few months difference).

As for who is working, there is no pronoun, word for word it says "after finish work can I call you?". But it sounds like she's the one working, not him.

1 - หนูถามอะไรหน่อยสิ

Can I ask you something?
2- ครับผมว่า

OK. What?
1- เดี๋ยวตอนเย็นกั (ก็) ไดัพี่บูม

I will ask you in the evening, P'Boom.
    เดี๋ยวเลิกงานหนูขอโท (โทร) ไปได้มั้ยค่ะ

Can I call you when you finished the work? (Can I call you after working hours?)
2 - อ๋อครัน

OK
     ตอนนี้พักเที่ยง

Now, it's lunch time.
     โทรมาได้

You can call me.
      เป้ยๆ

Peoy. Peoy (Peoy is her name.)
1- พี่บูนนนนน

P'Boon
     นอนยาค่า

Are you sleeping?
2- ยังๆ

No, not yet.
    นี (มี) ไรป่าวอะเป้ย 

What's up, Peoy?

• 3 weeks later...

I remember when I first encountered Thai, how I would find a dialogue like this totally baffling. Indeed when first seeing this I had little idea of what it was about.  Most of the discoveries are of context which of course is known to both parties. One thing that can never be known is whether เป้ย is at work or not. 

Apparently เป้ย and บูน are either illiterate, writing as they speak or trying to be obtuse. 

Am I correct in seeing  พี้บูนนนนน as very affectionate?

In นอนยาค่า the answer reveals ยา to be ยัง.

Is that an attempt to bring the level up from “baby talk” and rebuff her? 

Could นี mean นี ? I know it is meaningless but not if it is an acceptable way of saying มี . 

Is ไรป่าว actually อะไรหรือเปล่า

These are question which cannot be answered unless there exists a parallel language and somebody here knows it and is able to explain it. 

My last post was rhetorical of course and the fact that there is nobody interested in it is a disappointment to me.  Like the chap who posted a link to a song and asked for the meaning of individual words, I have the impression that people don’t really know what they want out of the forum except that they don’t want what I can give.  I responded briefly to what I thought addressed the request and the poster gave up!

Most people don’t need to know how what they say means what it does but I wonder sometimes how they are sure that what they are saying is what they mean. 

I don’t have any ability to remember sounds, and admire those who have learnt to speak Thai without books or a knowledge of grammar and am saddened that we can not communicate and share one another’s knowledge. 

I just came to accept that within the younger generation of Thais it seems to be fashionable to spell their own language in an illiterate way but still discernible for their peers. As for the reasons for this it is debatable. 

Anyhow, as a foreigner I have no intention to imitate this behaviour and would find it really odd for any foreigner out of his teens to do so. 

On 7/12/2019 at 9:30 AM, tgeezer said:

Could นี mean นี ? I know it is meaningless but not if it is an acceptable way of saying มี . 

So I don't think it is an acceptable way for us to speak. I think P Buun could have said instead

มีอะไรหรือเปล่าอ่ะเป้ย

On 7/12/2019 at 9:30 AM, tgeezer said:

Is that an attempt to bring the level up from “baby talk” and rebuff her?

As Poey is younger than Buun, I think baby talk (ภาษาวัยรุ่น) comes more natural to her than to him. Only at the end of what we see of the conversation I think he feels a need to come down to baby talk a bit and maybe that's the reason he's using นี instead of มี. 

But that all comes out of my foreigner's mind. No native speaker around to confirm the above atm. So feel free to correct me. 

Archived