Bangkok taxi driver arrested after ripping off British tourist

webfact

Bangkok taxi driver arrested after ripping off British tourist

1.jpg

Tourist Police have announced the arrest of a Bangkok taxi driver who charged a British tourist 3,985 baht to go from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Khaosan Road.

2.jpg

James Alexander Loakes complained to Tourist Police that he believed he had been scammed.

When officers checked the taxi, it was found that the meter had been modified in order to overcharge passengers.

77kaoded reported that the driver faces a combined fine of 7,000 baht and has had his license suspended for three months.

Mr Loakes was taking the taxi from Suvarnabhumi Airport on June 19.

He called the Tourist Police hotline on 1155 to report the scam. Officers swept into action and arrested the taxi driver after discovering the rigged meter.

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-21

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Nong Khai Man said:

Good, That MIGHT Teach the GREEDY Taxi Driver a Lesson !!

7k is nothing compared with what he's potentially been making, and a 3 month ban which probably wouldn't be adhered to is unlikely to teach anybody anything.

1 minute ago, madmitch said:

They've obscured the guys eyes but have a picture of an unredacted driving licence, complete with ID number, date of birth etc. Rgerdless of what the guy has done, this is a violation of privacy.

lol....he deserves to be named and shamed and have his picture up without his eyes obscured

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

lol....he deserves to be named and shamed and have his picture up without his eyes obscured

Name and shame, no problem; totally agree. But not so sure about giving out his ID number.

33 minutes ago, madmitch said:

They've obscured the guys eyes but have a picture of an unredacted driving licence, complete with ID number, date of birth etc. Rgerdless of what the guy has done, this is a violation of privacy.

As is the plastering of the victims Fizzog & pers details in the public domain.

What was the flash-to-bang time in this case? Did he ring RTP in real time or report it afterwards?

(Rhetorical question as the answer isn't clear)

3 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Certainly not scammed, as I offer the driver a price that I'm willing to pay.

that is how i feel, after a couple years in bkk i just gave up trying to get the drivers to use the meters.  if you live locally and have the same general routine, you know how much it costs to go from one point to another.  easier to just tell the guy how much he'll get.  i work in increments of 100thb.  i know i can get to certain places for 100th, 200thb, 300thb, 400thb.  thankfully most are short 100thb rides. 

unfortunately this tourist really got the shaft.  i had a friend coming in from germany and he and his buddy also stayed over on KSR.  he paid 2,000thb from DMK.

In 25 years I have had one rigged meter and only 2 refusing to use the meter, one on new years eve. Giving into these scammers by getting in and agreeing a fee only makes the situation worse for others. If you look like an easy mark and act like soft touch of course they will try it on, just say NO!

"When officers checked the taxi, it was found that the meter had been modified in order to overcharge passengers."

Impounding the taxi might have been a good idea as well. That would have gotten his attention more than the small fine and the 3 month - probably unenforced - suspension.

David

1 hour ago, webfact said:

James Alexander Loakes complained to Tourist Police that he believed he had been scammed.

Believed! Nice to know he wasn´t sure. Just for a second there, I was all about to start belive in intelligence again. 

22 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

In 25 years I have had one rigged meter and only 2 refusing to use the meter, one on new years eve. Giving into these scammers by getting in and agreeing a fee only makes the situation worse for others. If you look like an easy mark and act like soft touch of course they will try it on, just say NO!

Wow, great experience here, try any busy Soi off Sukhumvit after midnight around Asoke or Nana area........ there's a whole new world out there you could experience.... no meters and ridiculous fare price quotes of 100's of Baht from 95% of taxi drivers to go a few Km home. 

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Love it....Officers SWEPT INTO ACTION, priceless that is priceless.

What should have actually been said was, officers put down their smart phones after closing candy crush.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Lol. Yes. Makes a change from “swept it under the carpet.” 

Archived