Bangkok taxi driver arrested after ripping off British tourist

webfact

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Certainly not scammed, as I offer the driver a price that I'm willing to pay.

Then I’m sorry to say that you are a part of the problem. The price anyone is willing to pay should be that stated by a meter and not just making up fares, by either party. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Good, That MIGHT Teach the GREEDY Taxi Driver a Lesson !!

Never Their quiet blatant . Taxis at Thon Buri railway station also rip off tourists .400 Baht Khosan Rd a taxi using the meter is about 70 Baht.  Depending on traffic .They will not put the meter on.

29 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

Then I’m sorry to say that you are a part of the problem. The price anyone is willing to pay should be that stated by a meter and not just making up fares, by either party. 

In this case, the amount on the meter was 3985Baht.  But I'm used be at fault for anything by my wife. Are you related?

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

They've obscured the guys eyes but have a picture of an unredacted driving licence, complete with ID number, date of birth etc. Rgerdless of what the guy has done, this is a violation of privacy.

What?  Who cares about his bloody privacy?  It's not illegal to show that information, it is in the public domain anyway.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

meanwhile in other news, motorbike taxi driver gangs continue their ongoing street battles with guns and bats killing more innocent bystanders.  

Er, no, that's not continuing to happen anywhere, it happened once, but, meanwhile, some Thaivisa posters continue to post blatantly wrong information for the hell of it.

56 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

That's why I never use the meter.

Sometimes, I don't either and here is why. I take a taxi for one simple reason in that I want to go from here to there and I don't like waiting. Actually, it can be a lot of fun and a good way to practice Thai. I have taken at least 5,000 taxi rides during my time in Thailand and have noticed two things that happen if the taxi driver gives an excuse not to use the meter.  More often than not once I speak Thai, they generally shrug their shoulders, give a nasty look and turn on the meter. But sometimes, I tell them that no meter, no problem. I explain how much I'm going to pay by rounding up the approximate total cost and most of them say ok and take me to my destination. 

What happens if the meter is faulty? I have had it happen both ways. Once, the meter was going way to fast and I pointed it out to him. I explained that I take this route often and know how much a ride costs. He got a little huffy but soon took the correct fare. Another time, a taxi took me home and when we arrived the meter read B80. I paid him B140 (the usual total) and told him his meter was wrong. He admitted that he had been thinking the same thing, but no one else had said anything.

Yes, I have had my share of minor misunderstandings with taxi drivers with the meter off, but most of the time it is due to my poor native language skills. But, I guess that is part of living in Thailand...

taxi.jpg

1 hour ago, buick said:

that is how i feel, after a couple years in bkk i just gave up trying to get the drivers to use the meters.  if you live locally and have the same general routine, you know how much it costs to go from one point to another.  easier to just tell the guy how much he'll get.  i work in increments of 100thb.  i know i can get to certain places for 100th, 200thb, 300thb, 400thb.  thankfully most are short 100thb rides. 

unfortunately this tourist really got the shaft.  i had a friend coming in from germany and he and his buddy also stayed over on KSR.  he paid 2,000thb from DMK

It's people like you that contribute to the shafting of tourists by encouraging the (minority) bent taxi drivers not to use the meter!

36 minutes ago, atyclb said:

congratulations on awakening from "coma"

I have had loads refusing to go anywhere of course. Mrs once tried to get a taxi for a heavily pregnant women who needed to go to Hospital ASAP, outside Amari Watergate Hotel. They gave up after 7 refused, in tourist areas and at the airports too many of them are lazy, cheating low life's. Unfortunately people make it worse by giving into their greedy demands. Round the corner from the Amari while waiting for a bus I counted 16 taxi's refuse an African woman trying to get a taxi, bus came in the end.

17 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It's people like you that contribute to the shafting of tourists by encouraging the (minority) bent taxi drivers not to use the meter!

If you cared to read the OP, you'd understand that he (the taxi driver) was using his meter (3985 Baht).

2.jpg.bf4fbd0a0c12591c83553288b1422ec1.j

Things are quite Ritzy.  I own the same chair you see in the picture.  Each one is 18,000b.  This is an Ergohuman Chair which is comfortable beyond belief.  Good that they take care of their spines so well here.

1 minute ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

2.jpg.bf4fbd0a0c12591c83553288b1422ec1.j

Things are quite Ritzy.  I own the same chair you see in the picture.  Each one is 18,000b.  This is an Ergohuman Chair which is comfortable beyond belief.  Good that they take care of their spines so well here.

Probably a copy...

8 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

If you cared to read the OP, you'd understand that he (the taxi driver) was using his meter (3985 Baht).

If you cared to read the OP, you'd understand that he (the taxi driver) was using his illegal meter.

And if you cared to read the comment that I was responding to you'd understand that I was commenting to a poster who allegedly didn't want to use the meter regardless!

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

And if you cared to read the comment that I was responding to you'd understand that I was commenting to a poster who allegedly didn't want to use the meter used regardless!

Well, the poster was quoting my post, so yes, I did read it. But if you're happy to pay 4000Baht just because the meter says so, that'll be up to you.

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

They've obscured the guys eyes but have a picture of an unredacted driving licence, complete with ID number, date of birth etc. Rgerdless of what the guy has done, this is a violation of privacy.

So what? He should be outed and shamed. Why is that not a benefit to society? Seems like often these creeps get coddled instead. 

1 hour ago, monkeycu said:

I take it next week we will read about 6 honest taxi drivers

Obviously this was not their week

im eagerly awaiting many stories of kind motor cycle taxi drivers. ????

4 minutes ago, nikmar said:

im eagerly awaiting many stories of kind motor cycle taxi drivers. ????

Of course they're kind.

As long as you don't get caught in the cross-fire at the Bangna annual taxi motorcyclists convention recently.

Archived