Bangkok taxi driver arrested after ripping off British tourist

webfact

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never except a ride in Taxi unless its turned on ... we once jumped in at Platinum Mall snd didnt notice the meter was off so he proceeded to do a U turn and Thai Police spotted pulled us over and he paid instant back pocket fine of 100 Thai  baht then charged us for his bad driving behavoir  ... i just laughted and put it down to my nievity.... But 10 years on i sm on to them like ticks on a Camels arse .....haha 

On 6/22/2019 at 10:47 AM, TumblinDice said:

WOW!

Listen (read about) to all you "stable geniuses" on how to ride a cab in Thailand. Its amazing you are all so proficient & expertise(d) on everything there is posted that you offer your first hand experience to "one up" the other.

Whats this then? a comment to criticise the "one uppers" and get "one up" on them?

What is the purpose of a web forum if not to contribute... so fare we've read lots of stories, plenty of advice...  what is your contribution to the thread?

A friend got punched in the nose after the Taxi refused to turn on the meter, my friend stood his ground and insisted on the meter... the taxi driver got out, opened the back door and punched him in the face !!!

Just last week the taxi driver refused to stop using an App on his phone while driving, I politely asked him a couple of times, explained that it is dangerous... his response was that its ok he can see where he's going... So I asked him to pull over so I could get out, he refused to stop. I made an error and became angry with him (something we are all told not to do when dealing with the fragile Thai male ego), fortunately my anger worked and he pulled over, I got out and he drove off... 

This was about the 4th time I had to get out of a taxi because the driver has refused to stop watching something on his phone (i.e. a move, using an App or sending an sms etc).

As others have written: Grab is by far the best way to go, while not always a perfect journey, you are more assured of a trouble free journey. 

Koh Samui doesn't seem to have this kind of a problem. If you want a taxi or multi-passenger, multi-stop mini van at the airport, you prepay at a desk in the airport and then hand your voucher to the driver. Why is this not done nationwide?

On 6/23/2019 at 3:46 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Whats this then? a comment to criticise the "one uppers" and get "one up" on them?

What is the purpose of a web forum if not to contribute... so fare we've read lots of stories, plenty of advice...  what is your contribution to the thread?

I contribute my sarcastic criticism.

I flag a cab & before I get in I tell the driver to use the meter. If he doesn't I wait for the next one.

Archived