New laws target people in Thailand who smoke at home

webfact

28 minutes ago, meand said:

Stuff like this should have been happening 20 or more years ago. Awesome. 

The big one is condos. It will be difficult to impossible to enforce all of this, but cigarette smoke really has a way of permeating every crevice of all units in the vicinity. To me it is fine to cook strong food and the like, but sending a carcinogen into people's homes should be prohibited by law no doubt. 

Awesome hey? So you live alone in your house on a rai of land. The neighbours on both sides are approx 10 metres away and make their living making charcoal with permeates the neighbourhood but you think its great that no cigarette smoking is allowed even in the back patios of our homes.

I'm looking forward to the police raids.:coffee1:

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next step,can see it coming, a camera in every house,

just to make sure you are not up to anything,that might

give you a little pleasure,(I am not a smoker),but other

things,........

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Can I sue for local 'government abuse'?  the smog in Chaing Mai was terrible this year and they do NOTHING because local big wigs are involved.

If there was one case of successful prosecution for home smoking, it could set a precedent for a class action lawsuit against the govt. , brought by the people of the North - I hope!

1 hour ago, Samuel Smith said:

Nothing to do with toxic air from burning, that gets inside the house...

1 hour ago, RotMahKid said:

I don't know where this writer lives, but I can assure you that smoke, better says those pm 2.5 particles come into your house.

The normal windows in northern Thailand don't close so well that it keeps the pm 2.5 outside the house.

I could read that time every morning on the pm 2.5 meter how worse the situation was.

So don't tell me that it does not come into the houses.

Sorry, RMK, you're the victim of some good ol' English sarcasm there. The real meaning is the complete opposite of what you've assumed it to be.

The hypocrisy of Thailand and the thai people never seems to end. No helmets on their children while riding their motorbikes... burning garbage with plastics... trucks belching  great black clouds and fields burning without a care.... and they are targeting smokers in their own home!? Child gets killed on bike or unrestrained on a car... no parent gets nicked. But smoke at home or even outside.... come on! Wonder what the heavy smoking Chinese tourists will say.... himmmm.....

2 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

This international witch-hunt against smokers has all the hallmarks of a conspiracy to me.

From third-world basketcases to first-world nanny states, all simultaneously singing from the same hymn-sheet?

At a 110 dbs? There have been warnings in the past but now we are at a crescento.

Smoking is dangerous alright but I could mention a multitude of other hazardous materials that are still allowed (with zero media coverage) or the gooberments dragged their feet for decades to finally ban.

Lead in fuel (finally banned after 70 yrs!), asbestos, mercury in tooth-fillings, fluoride/aluminium in water,

...a multitude of additives in food/drinks ...yadda   yadda

All that Black <deleted> spilling on to the beaches in Phuket

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

i don't recall reading anything about this nonsense before, did it come out of nothing?!

Oh boy, there is an answer to your last six words, but, I would like to keep posting for a while yet.  ???????????? 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The financial cost of treating people suffering from smoking related to diseases is about Bt220 billion annually, according to Mahidol University’s Faculty of Medicine.

However, tax revenue raised from cigarettes totals just Bt68.6 billion.

Can you smell that? Buffalo's are playing in the fields again. 

They word this so it looks like the hospitals/tax payers are footing a bill more than 3 times what the government makes in tax revenue by stating 'the financial cost of treating people.....'

People pay for their own treatment, otherwise they don't get treated.

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

I smoke less than half a pack a day, and half of those out on my front porch with coffee or something.  My Thai wife smokes maybe 5 a day, if that. When I had her listen to the video, her comment was - "They can kiss my Lanna Thai ass. This is our house, bought and paid for, and no one is going to tell me what I can or can not do in it!"

Wouldn't bet the farm on that

Stuff like this should have been happening 20 or more years ago. Awesome. 

The big one is condos. It will be difficult to impossible to enforce all of this, but cigarette smoke really has a way of permeating every crevice of all units in the vicinity. To me it is fine to cook strong food and the like, but sending a carcinogen into people's homes should be prohibited by law no doubt. 

I bet you will want to ban farting in public next !

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

I smoke less than half a pack a day, and half of those out on my front porch with coffee or something.  My Thai wife smokes maybe 5 a day, if that. When I had her listen to the video, her comment was - "They can kiss my Lanna Thai ass. This is our house, bought and paid for, and no one is going to tell me what I can or can not do in it!"

"This is our house, bought and paid for, and no one is going to tell me what I can or can not do in it!""

Used to include, but not exhaustive, murdering, raping, assault, drug production... Now they only want to add in poisoning people with second hand smoke...

11 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

As i mentioned in an earlier post, I gave  up smoking over 4 years ago.

I'm so glad that the withdrawal of nicotine from my body didn't turn me into a self righteous prick.

What kind of try to a personal attack is that? Where do you get taht from? I clearly stated that I had the same opinion and that I showed the same respect even when I was smoking. 

You clearly can understand what you read, sir. It´s called showing respect and caring for others and your loved ones. Appearently something you do not recognize.

14 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Just ban smoking if they feel that way. 

But I don't know too many smokers who still light up around children or actually smoke in the house.

I quit nearly 50 years ago but my wife smokes around 10 a day. Always outside and nowhere near children. She has cut back from over 20 a day and is trying to give up completely.

My problem is that in the mornings until she has had a coffee, a dump and a cigarette she is crabby. I fear for my life if she doesn't get her morning Marlboro Lite.

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

What kind of try to a personal attack is that? Where do you get taht from? I clearly stated that I had the same opinion and that I showed the same respect even when I was smoking. 

You clearly can understand what you read, sir.

My apologies Matzzon, I completely misread your post and I am sincerely sorry. ????

I withdraw my accusation but will leave the post as it is, so that other posters will see it and realise  how much of a prick I can be sometimes. ????

I quit nearly 50 years ago but my wife smokes around 10 a day. Always outside and nowhere near children. She has cut back from over 20 a day and is trying to give up completely.

My problem is that in the mornings until she has had a coffee, a dump and a cigarette she is crabby. I fear for my life if she doesn't get her morning Marlboro Lite.

I know how she feels. It's so hard to give up. How did you do it? Any tips. Most of my friends back home did it vaping. I wish Thailand would legalise vaping. Maybe I should try hypno therapy.

28 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Just ban smoking if they feel that way. 

But I don't know too many smokers who still light up around children or actually smoke in the house.

I lived in Alaska for years, was appalled at all the men and women in cars with the windows rolled up smoking with their kids in their cars.  Just imagine having your mom or dad drive you to school everyday with them smoking in the car - just seems common sense not to, yet many did.   

Here in Thailand as most have pointed out - enforcement will likely be nil.

As my grandma used to say, "it is the thought that counts" 

I lived in Alaska for years, was appalled at all the men and women in cars with the windows rolled up smoking with their kids in their cars.  Just imagine having your mom or dad drive you to school everyday with them smoking in the car - just seems common sense not to, yet many did.   
Here in Thailand as most have pointed out - enforcement will likely be nil.
As my grandma used to say, "it is the thought that counts" 

Why were you appalled? Wasn't your kids. Or was it that you had no number to call to complain about someone elses business.

I'm appalled that there are so many non smokers who want to interfere in other people lives.

Maybe in the future I can grass up a family for eating at KFC. A new anti junk food law with number to call.

The world would be a better place if people stop interfering in other peoples lives.

Appalled. Shesh!

33 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Well give her one a soon as she wakes ...problem solved

11 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Well give her one a soon as she wakes ...problem solved

We wake at different times and quite often I am outside cutting the grass when she gets up.

I leave her to do her own thing. 

No sense in poking a sleeping dragon unless you have a very long pointed stick.

Archived